Houzz Logo Print
jahblessjacob

No upper cabinets and "floating" refrigerator- weird?

hace 6 años

Hello! We are finalizing plans for a 1920's beach bungalow we are giving a full gut renovation. It's small- 1600 sq ft- and the first floor will feature an open kitchen/living room concept.

This will be a weekend home for us in the summer, not a full-time residence.

The kitchen is ~11x13. Not huge and doesn't get a ton of light. I am exploring ways the layout can make the floor plan feel as airy as possible and am leaning towards no upper cabinetry in the kitchen, just floating shelves (to be stocked with our everyday bowls/plates so not to worry about dust accumulation).

The main issue I'm grappling with is how to make the refrigerator feel like it's a part of the kitchen if there's no cabinetry to butt up against it for that built-in feel? Or is it ok to have it be free-standing? This picture below is basically our exact proposed layout and I think the refrigerator looks ok without any built-ins, but I'm not sure?! Do upper cabinets add a visual weight that's necessary for balance in the space? Appreciate any opinions!

Comentarios (10)

• hace 6 años

You should ask on the kitchen forum.

Also does the house have any original woodwork not painted? Or built ins?

jahblessjacob agradeció a cpartist
  • hace 6 años

It depends on the fridge, and the kitchen. A big ol' Sub-Zero like in your photo can stand on its own. A stainless steel Whirlpool with black sides cannot.

For a weekend home in a small kitchen, something cute like a colored Big Chill or Smeg would be the direction I'd be going, but again, depends on everything else.

jahblessjacob agradeció a Fori
  • hace 6 años

it's in kitchen and design dilemma, so no traffic direction needed.

I have a couple of thoughts:

1) this will put a lot of pressure on your fridge to be spiff -- for example, many have ugly black sides that you won't want to see. can't think of an easy way to put a side panel with no other enclosure, even if you attach some of your wall shelves to it.

2) the asymmetric fridge in the above photo helps give a sense of balance that most regular fridges wouldn't

3) beyond those, it doesn't seem like a crisis to me, especially in a vacation home, where you're more about convenience and simplicity than glamor. if this layout works for you, party on! we have not always embedded our refrigerators into cabinetry...

jahblessjacob agradeció a acm
  • hace 6 años

acm,

I don't know what Houzz has done but this post is only in the appliance forum on Gardenweb. It is not in Gardenwebs' Kitchen forum. That was was CPartist was referring to. Gardenweb never had a design dilemma forum.

I see no issue with a standalone fridge like the SubZero but very few fridges have the stainless steel box all around. You can also do a built in or integrated fridge in a cabinets. Another option is something like the Smeg colored fridge. Can't speak to quality but this may work.

Good luck!

jahblessjacob agradeció a homepro01
  • hace 6 años

Most of the Sub-Zero refrigerators intended to be built-in have stainless steel side panel options so that they can be used freestanding. Even the Pro 48 in your picture does not come with stainless steel on the sides by default, they are options that add $700 per side to the cost of an already very expensive refrigerator. If placed up against a wall you would only need one panel for the exposed side. What is your budget for a refrigerator in this home? To answer your direct question, I'm no designer but I see no problem with a freestanding refrigerator. As others have said, the sides of your typical freestanding refrigerator do not look that nice unless you go upscale with something like a Sub-Zero with added stainless side panels. The sides of most of your affordable run of the mill stainless refrigerators will just be painted gray.

jahblessjacob agradeció a jt fields
  • hace 6 años

Thank you everyone! We had been looking at Big Chill and Northstar (Smeg I think too small) but those are good points about an eye-catching fridge being necessary in this scenario.

This image is also a great example of how it could be built in, thank you!

• PRO
    hace 6 años

You can encase the fridge in panels for each side. Using shelves on the walls makes sense. You can fasten the panels to the ceiling or use a cabinet at the top to strengthen the construction. Just make sure you select the best size fridge and the best size panels.

• hace 6 años

@jt fields no hard budget but will spend on it since it will also be visible throughout the whole house. Was thinking for space constraints to go with a 30” or so model, really love the glass front like sub zero or GE Monogram but also into retro styles (although I understand they are cheap “insides” w a flashy exterior and the cook/entertainer in me is more “what would Ina Garten do” ;))

• hace 6 años

I think if you are doing a Northstar or Big Chill you can have a stand-alone. Particularly because those fridges mimic a vintage style that was often stand alone.

If you use a conventional fridge Frigo Designs makes magnetic stainless panels for refrigerators based on model.

jahblessjacob agradeció a palimpsest
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.