Houzz Logo Print
tarazimmer51

Design help! sectional vs couches with lazy boys?

tarazimmer51
hace 6 años
I’m in need of design help in my living room. These couches are not creating the comfy feel! We want to get a sectional but don’t know what to do with side tables/rugs/ entry way. Please give me your thoughts!

Comentarios (29)

• PRO
    Decorating Den Interiors - Kathy McGroarty
    hace 6 años

Are the sofas not comfortable?

I think you need to finish the room. Seems you are feet up type of family. How about 4 squre ittomans that can be put together with tray as cocktail table or pulled apart to put feet up. I would say if in the budget a different rug as it seems too much grey on grey on grey. And maybe a bit larger. Colorful pillows are switch up to a cream or something that offers contrast. Vary the texture as well with the pillow. Window treatments? I think the rug, pillows will be I portent since it dies nit seem like there is a place for art work.

Light ir metal /glass end table so they don’t blend in.

• tarazimmer51
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I like your ideas! What do you mean with vary texture? Any color suggestions?
  • tarazimmer51
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    We also have a huge wall? This is a new house that we recently built.
  • Kathi Steele
    hace 6 años

Nice fireplace, but that TV is way too high. If it is going to be that high, it must be tilted down. Could be one reason the room is uncomfortable.

Sectionals are not usually very comfortable either and they are very hard to decorate around.

A sofa table behind your sofa and/or a coffee table is needed.

A corner table between the sofa and love seat with a lamp is needed.

A chair, recliner or regular could be used on the open space with a table between the sofa and the chair. Another lamp on the table is in order.

What window coverings were you thinking about? How high do the windows go?

• tarazimmer51
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Here’s more pictures. We love the deer :)
  • Kathi Steele
    hace 6 años

Yellows, blues, reds, turquoise go with grey well.

Bring those colors in via lamps, pillows, throws. Add some of those colors at your drink station via glasses/mugs, etc and into the kitchen via accessories, hand towels, etc.

Varying the textures means smooth fabric, fabric with slubs, shiny fabric, dull fabric, etc.

• tarazimmer51
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Windows are large and look out into the wood which we like. Window suggestions?
  • PRO
    hace 6 años

Ok, thought maybe he could go on the high wall above kitchen

• tarazimmer51
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Oh okay! Good idea!
  • tarazimmer51
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Is there a different way you would arrange the furniture?
  • Kathi Steele
    hace 6 años

The deer is okay, but it is one of the first things you see when you walk in the door. Can it be moved to above the doorway by the stairs behind the fireplace? It is way too high also. Just because the ceilings are tall, does not mean you hang things higher!

• tarazimmer51
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Wait the deer are too high? What is too high? Ha I’m confused. But, yes we could put one above the doorway
  • Kathi Steele
    hace 6 años

I realize now there are 2 deer.

You still hang things at eye level. You just make things larger and add more on top.

Google Images decorating family rooms with tall ceilings. Great ideas.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS746US746&biw=1600&bih=794&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=b-VSWqjEBuTjjwTsm5OICw&q=decorating+ideas+for+family+rooms+with+tall+ceilings&oq=decorating+ideas+for+family+rooms+with+tall+ceilings&gs_l=psy-ab.3...80744.87066.0.87683.16.14.2.0.0.0.83.1008.14.14.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.JPood3ZII1Q#imgdii=j0Kt0RYQmliv2M:&imgrc=GRNiHhCIYO4KaM:

Drapes should probably go to the ceiling and will probably need to open/close with remote. Open during the day and closed when the weather is cold.

• Kathi Steele
    hace 6 años

Framing the deer heads in 2 faux frames on the tall empty wall would be interesting.

• PRO
    hace 6 años

Kathi I like the idea of a faux frame for the deer heads on tall wall heading to kitchen. Put art with some color on the sides of the windows. A decent size round end table between the sofas. The current table is too small for that space.

• Kathi Steele
    hace 6 años

I like the color of the chair you added, but I'm a recliner kinda gal! I go for comfort watching the boob tube!!

• tarazimmer51
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I like the color too! So the end table I have is too short or too small?
  • PRO
    hace 6 años

I think a bit of both. Maybe move to the other end of sofa or loveseat. Round here is probably better as it will fill more of the space. Ideally the table should be about the same height as the arm height but that does not always work out. More depth as that size seems to be just tothe futon of the sofa. I would like larger then center in the space rather than pulled so forward. Does that make sense?

• Kathi Steele
    hace 6 años

Not too short, but definitely too small. I like it when they are at least half the depth of the furniture. And not so close to the furniture. About 3-5 inches away is a good spacing, IMHO! The big bulky furniture needs a bigger table. And a lamp. In your accent color!

How do you light the space other than can lights?

There are usually 3 types of lighting.

General like can lights

Task like table lamps and floor lamps for tasks like reading or conversing

Accent lights like wall sconces and low level table lights.

Can lights should be on dimmers. Task lighting should be variable also like a 3 way bulb. Accent lights can be on dimmers or 3 way if desired.

• tarazimmer51
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Oooh great ideas ladies! How do I get a table lamp there without an outlet in the ground
  • PRO
    hace 6 años

Is havng a floor outlet out in possible? Do you have a basement or crawl space where they can access. Might be worth having an electrician out

• tarazimmer51
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I’ll check into it! Thank you
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Lighting, or lack of, is a major issue here. For floating furniture you must have floor outlets. The seating looks too deep to be comfortable. The deer heads do need to go on that empty wall left of the fireplace and the bottom of the stairs. Just hang one above the other over the door, or hang them slightly akilter. Here's a chart for lamp and table height. The bulkier the seating the bulkier the table should be.

• Angela Smith
    hace 6 años

• tarazimmer51
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Okay. Thank you! The lighting was at night and no natural light coming in.
  • PRO
    Manhattan Home Design
    hace 6 años

We think you just need to finish up the room to get that comfy look you're looking for. If you want to go for a sectional, go for it! But we think you can work with the two sofas you have now.

What you're missing are side tables, a coffee table, maybe a lamp and some accent color that you can add by hanging art, getting new pillows and a different rug.

Side tables

Coffee table

We also like the idea of defining the space on the side of the entrance with some chairs. Since you prefer comfort, we suggest this [Womb Chair and Ottoman[(https://www.houzz.com/products/womb-chair-and-ottoman-2-piece-set-baby-blue-prvw-vr~87528146), is the perfect combination of style and comfort, besides, it comes in gorgeous colors that can work wonders on your living room (remember those accent color we were talking about?)

• tarazimmer51
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Yes, those are very nice! We honestly just moved in in April and have 2 kids. It’s hard finding kid friendly/ fashionable! Ha
  • PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    hace 6 años

we would love to help create the perfectly sized sectional for your space.

we are a family business making quality custom sofas and custom sectionals in los angeles for over 50 years now. we can ship nationwide.

request a quote RIGHT HERE. we offer the best price-quality ratio !! xoxo eva @ MONARCHSOFAS.COM

** CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF FINISHED CUSTOM SOFA AND CUSTOM SECTIONAL PROJECTS

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

KENZIE STYLE - Chesterfield Custom Sectional Sofas · [More Info[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kenzie-style-chesterfield-custom-sectional-sofas-traditional-family-room-los-angeles-phvw-vp~9403371)

Project: MEDIA ROOM CUSTOM SECTIONAL SOFA · See Project

ALEXA STYLE - DIAMOND TUFTED BACK · [More Info[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/alexa-style-diamond-tufted-back-family-room-los-angeles-phvw-vp~27064829)

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.