Houzz Logo Print
lal83

updating or replacing wood burning fireplace

Lynne
hace 6 años

I have a wood burning fireplace that I enjoy, but use infrequently because of the mess, and inconvenience (I really dislike opening and closing the flue) It doesn't have a gas line.

I've looked at electric inserts, but I really don't know what the best options are - I want the fireplace mainly for atmosphere, not really for producing heat.

Comentarios (19)

• Peter Roehrich
    hace 6 años
    I suggest installing a gas fireplace over electric. While the electric might be perfect for you, future buyers may really want an actual fire. Sealed, insert units do not require you to open the flue (direct vent), are controlled by a wall switch, and are cheap to operate.
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 6 años

Gas fireplaces are the best! We converted 2 WBF in our home to gas and it is SO easy to use. Just press a button, and presto! Fire! Press the button again, and Fire off! We had gas service to the house and had a plumber come and run lines to the fireplaces. If you don't have any gas in your house, then you'd have to have the gas company run a line from the street. If there's no gas on your street, then electric would seem the way to go.

Lynne agradeció a Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    hace 6 años

If you don’t mind having a tank outside, you might be able to use propane.

Lynne agradeció a Saypoint zone 6 CT
  • Lynne
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I won't be able to do that - I have HOA requirements to meet

• PRO
    HX Home Solutions and North Star Stone
    hace 6 años

You can convert the fireplace to gas or electric relatively easily.

• PRO
    Synergy Florida
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

How about candles? Nice atmosphere without the hassle.

• l pinkmountain
    hace 6 años

My former landlady had a lovely electric fireplace that doubled as a space heater. If you just want mood, go electric or candle or even gel cans.

• PRO
    Michael Design
    hace 6 años

Go with an electric variant.

Check out Dimplex Optimyst. https://www.dimplex.com/en/electric_fireplaces/optimyst_sup_r_sup

Saw one in a showroom and was completely fooled.

Lynne agradeció a Michael Design
  • Lynne
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

that's cool looking - can't find a showroom near me. Is it electric? does it need venting?

• arcy_gw
    hace 6 años

I did the candle thing for quite awhile, a mirror on the back wall really ramp ups the look. The above is alcohol fueled. You pour it on and the fire will last a few hours? Not sure on that. Until the alcohol is burned up anyway. It might be a good option for you. People from warm climates who want the LOOK, but need to HEAT made them popular. Electric is not the ambiance of gas...but that's the sacrifice for whatever your HOA gives you.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 6 años

The gel fireplaces actually do provide heat but there are some really cool ones. Since you already have the fireplace if you love it where it is then I would do an electric insert.

Lynne agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Lynne
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

what is needed for the gel fireplace? there isn't electricity or gas hooked up in the actual fireplace - do I need to operate with the chimney open?

• lefty47
    hace 6 años

HI -- I love the smell and romance of a real wood burning fireplace but yes it is messy . I think it would be worth it to have a gas fireplace but if that is not possible there is Ethanol burner that burns clean and doesn't need venting .

Lynne agradeció a lefty47
  • PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

If you're in a condo, you may not be able to run new gas lines. If that's the case, go for electric. If you just want it for the ambiance, shop around until you find one that looks convincing. They're out there!

Lynne agradeció a User
  • Lynne
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Where should I look for a unit? And for an electric unit, will I need to have a new outlet installed in the firebox? (Sorry - I have no practical/technical knowledge:)

this is what it looks like now

• l pinkmountain
    hace 6 años

I think the gel comes in "cans" that you light. But my first option would be electric. Maybe find a good electrician who has installed one?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    hace 6 años

If you have central heating, why not leave it as it is, get a metal holder and pile on some birch logs. It looks very decorative and you don't have to do anything. A wood burning fireplace creates pollution which is why we don't use ours.

• Fori
    hace 6 años

That looks so nice...I wouldn't want to mess it up. Some of the modern electric fireplaces are very cool--and totally wrong for your classic fireplace.

Go to a fireplace store. They exist! They'll walk you through the options.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.