Houzz Logo Print
webuser_703718

Mesh on back of marble waterfall completely visible

Amy G
hace 6 años
I would love thoughts on this. This is a marble peninsula with waterfall, the fabricators knew this but left the back completely unfinished. When I walk in the house it is the first thing I see! They want to put a piece of marble over it so the waterfall would have 2 pieces of marble basically sandwiched together. I personally think this would look ridiculous. The wood under the counter is unfinished bc they want to put this marble in place first. I would love anyone's input and what you would do. I am upset because we spent a lot of time and money on this. Thanks, Amy

Comentarios (31)

• User
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I agree with the fabricators. Strong stones do not have mesh. Marble is not a strong stone to begin with compared to granite. A weak 2cm marble with mesh probably isn’t very self supporting vertically if the mesh is removed. Laminating and adding steel would be the best solution structurally and visually to keep what you have.

Or choose a stone that is more appropriate to the design style that you are attempting. That stone has a huge amount of movement and will be incredibly dominant in the space. Especially when used with the trendy waterfall. That design detail belongs with sleek and modern gloss cabinets, and plain white quartz counters.

Or you could just remove the waterfall and finish off the cabinets properly. But since the overhang isn’t properly supported with steel, the whole thing is going to need to be redesigned anyway and may require full removal to make that happen.

Where is your KD in this? And why was this not designed properly to begin with?

• Amy G
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I had not thought of laminating, that is an excellent idea. I live in the mountains, I wanted natural stone to reflect the environment around me. The waterfall was not meant to be a trend, I am an artist and I thought swirls and movement looked like a piece of art. I am hoping to temper the movement by not having cabinets on the wall. I loved the stone so much, I guess I broke design rules to look at something I really loved:(

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I think it may solve the problem:)
  • Amy G
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    The kitchen designer did tell them it was a peninsula! I am not sure what happened. T is a good question.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 6 años

A peninsula does in no way tell them a waterfall counter and to honest this is not a waterfall with a nice mitered edge where the top and upright meet why are there shims on the floor when this should have been templated to account for floor shape I think this a messand I do wonder where your designer was in the mix.

• smitrovich
    hace 6 años

Not sure about how best to resolve the mesh issue, but your fabricators don't know how to install a waterfall counter. I'd be upset, too. Was this installation their idea or did you request it to be installed in this way?

• Amy G
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I did not ask them to install it this way. And it is not a joke, I have been arguing about this for 2 weeks going back and forth. They measured the height wrong...that is the shims, there is epoxy all over it from gauges made, mesh on the back under the peninsula, they would not miter because they said it would crack. Aesthetically, the reason I did the waterfall, was bc the side of the counter is the first thing you see when you walk in the door and it is a wide open space that overlooks a patio and mountains. The kitchen designer has been zero help, I think she has a good relationship with the fabricators.
  • tatts
    hace 6 años

That's not a waterfall counter. My guess is that they wouldn't miter it because it's too thin.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 6 años

I've mitered plastic laminate on store fixtures. It's not too thin.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 6 años

No excuses they screwed up and so did the designer they dropped the ball.I sure hope you have not paid the final bill for either of them

• PRO
    Tile Supply Solutions
    hace 6 años

Sadly workman ship is really poor - the mesh is not actually doing anything so you could remove this , but the joints look very poor.

• Amy G
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Since I am enjoying the ridicule, just kidding, I will add this photo. Apparently there was a huge chunk of marble missing and they filled it with epoxy. I haven't paid the remainder bc I have been sending this woman pictures. Our last house had a countertop that was beautifully done and done correctly. We are new to the area so we used a place that many people mentioned, KD, contractor, etc. The fabricators solution to the problems are to put a 2 inch strip along the bottom where the stone should meet the floor...and put a stone panel over the mesh.

I don't really see a solution.
  • PRO
    Tile Supply Solutions
    hace 6 años

Amy this is awful , I think the strip along the floor will also look terrible. It would be better just to remove the mesh that is visible , adding another piece of stone (stone panel) will
    not look good and judging by the current workmanship I bet you it will not be
    flush. Natural stone can chip etc however once this is filled with resin you
    should not notice it at all (if this is not possible then it should be replaced) – they have not even attempted to match the resin with
    the stone i.e. no veins in it. If it was me I would say they need to start
    again or refund you in full. I imagine you must have a stone federation or something
    similar you could contact to get an independent view. I am really sorry this has happened to you ,

• User
    hace 6 años

Tell them to get that crapola out of your house and refund you. Then start over. Either finish off the side of that cabinet and skip the clashing waterfall, or switch to white quartz from a different fabricator and have a real waterfall done.

These hacks are clueless.

• nicole___
    hace 6 años

1) edges not mitered....could live with it...

2) mesh showing...easy fix...

3) shims under the marble...you'd have to install baseboard or filler?....uh...no!

Wow!

It's not done right. The fabricator, needs to redo it....completely. I'm so sorry your being put in this position.

• Chessie
    hace 6 años

Wow. So sorry OP. No expert here, but this is a complete botch job. I hope you can get this resolved (meaning rip it out and redesign/reinstall correctly).

• smitrovich
    hace 6 años

Ugh, that epoxy is also horrible. So sorry you are having to deal with this! But, you should insist they get it right and redo it, or get your money back and hire a better fabricator.

That said, from what I can see, your place looks fantastic! (I'd love to know where you got your counter chairs.) It will all come together, just keep insisting they get it right.

• hummingalong2
    hace 6 años
    I would not have faith that the same installers could ever get it right. I would want it out of there and a refund.
  • Amy G
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Uh, well...the fabricators want to remove the front panel “waterfall” and do it over. Is that even possible? Won’t the marble break? The butt joint is filled with epoxy, how could they possibly fix this with a new one?
  • User
    hace 6 años

If you still haven’t paid them, give them ONE opportunity to correct it. It’s impossible, because they are mouthbreathing clueless hacks. When they break the stone, ask for your money back and go somewhere else.

• Amy G
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I want to get someone else to do it, but they are refusing me because they say they can fix it.
  • Amy G
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    That is true and very funny, but what if somehow they don’t break it and it still looks like crap. They way they used that epoxy everywhere is ridiculous
  • User
    hace 6 años

That’s why you let them try to fix it. They do have the right to try. But, they need to agree to refund you IN FULL if it is not fixed to your satisfaction. They lack the technical capabilities to fix it. So you will end up in an OK place, even if it takes longer and is a bigger pain.

Or, they could just refund you now and skip the additional wasted man hours. Put it to them like that. They can save that labor if they just give you your money back and you both move on.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 6 años

Amy G:

I'm no lawyer, but you may be legally obligated to allow them an attempt at fixing it.

• Amy G
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Great. This should be interested. Any idea how they will remove or should remove that slab?
  • Chessie
    hace 6 años

I'm betting their attempt will fail anyway, but sure let them try. Just make sure that they understand that if it is NOT installed correctly, you are expecting a refund.

Are they saying that they are going to remove that entire slab on the right (going by your pics)? The one with all the shims?

• PRO
    Tile Supply Solutions
    hace 6 años

I think Sophie and Chess are correct - It is best to offer them the chance to replace / fix it (shows you are being fair etc)- judging by the first effort this will not be done to your satisfaction - make it clear that you will then want a full refund. I would also look for a trade association and speak to them and let them know you are doing this. I imagine you will find a stone / stone masonry
    federation on line quite easily. What is really concerning is they are making a complete mess of the basics. What a pain for you Amy - stick with it , you obviously can not accept it as it is. I imagine , it will need to be done by others in the future. Do make sure you get your money back , it really is unacceptable.

• PRO
    Willow Work Design
    hace 6 años
    You could always panel or tile the underside / finish it out with drywall and a textured paint for a faster fix
  • PRO
    Tile Supply Solutions
    hace 6 años

Willow Work - yes you could (good ideas) - but it still leaves major issues with the joints and it still wont sit (stand ) flush on the floor. Amy should end up with what she paid for.

• Amy G
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you everyone for giving me such great information. I only know when I see bad workmanship, the specifics are beyond me. Sounds like I have to give them a chance. But you are right, this was done horribly. They don’t seem to think there is anything wrong with the epoxy filling the front corner edge above the “waterfall” panel. So that stays. They will probably argue up and down if they install the next one if they think is satisfactory. I almost hope it breaks.
  • Stephanie Lollino
    hace 3 años

So...how did this eventually go, Amy G?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.