Houzz Logo Print
hao_chen52

Should I buy hardwood floor from local store?

Cotii
hace 6 años

Thanks for all the help on my previous post about hardwood floor with pets. I finally decide to go with matte wire-brushed, wide plank, light color, oak floor. It is not a very hard wood, but it can hide the scratch very well. So I got some quote from a couple local stores, and the mid-level brand, like Shaw, is about $10/sqft, without installation. But when I doing my research online, I found the price is even less than $5 for the same model # on several website. So can I trust those online sellers? Is there any particular reason I should go for local floor store?

Comentarios (22)

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    hace 6 años

I cant believe they are charging that price for a product that you found for 1/2 the price. There are lots of companies with representation online that you can trust. Look for BBB listings and reviews on Houzz.

• jellytoast
    hace 6 años

Personally, I prefer to buy large items locally and just recently purchased about 800 sq. ft. of flooring (Mirage) from a local retailer. Mirage specifically voids their warranty for flooring purchased online. Not sure what Shaw's policy is, but it might be worth looking into. I found that prices were all over the place for the same product. I ended up buying at a "wholesale to the public" place and the price was considerably less than at my local wholesalers who sell only to contractors (and less than you were quoted for the Shaw).

Cotii agradeció a jellytoast
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    hace 6 años

Cotii, what look are you going for BTW?

Cotii agradeció a Oak & Broad
  • Cotii
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

My renovation will be a modern look, so light grey white oak matches the design very well. Do you have some websites recommend?

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    hace 6 años

:-D I sure do! Look at our profile Cottii. You can email me directly with any questions. We have plenty of high quality American made plank flooring under that $10 price point as well. joel@oakandbroad.com

• PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    hace 6 años

@Catli, it is a great question you have asked for every wood floor shopper.

As a hardwood floor professional, I have to say it is very confusing market to shop. It is simply because there are too many products out there with too few qualified wood floor sales professionals. I would either pay a little more for a local hardwood floor specialty contractor or store or shop online to pay a better price for your wood floor and then find a reputable local installer to install your floor. You can be very successful with either approach as long as you use your local or online wood floor professionals with good reputation to sell and install. Remember I mean hardwood flooring specialty stored or contractors, preferably not floor covering stores in general. Also as Oak & Broad said, always check their reputation with BBB, NWFA, Houzz, etc. If reviews are all in good standing, chances are very little to go wrong with such stores or installers. Last but not least, don't be afraid to pick up your phone if you find a product you like to know more about.

Cotii agradeció a Unique Wood Floors
  • PRO
    Southern Yellow Pine Direct
    hace 6 años

Ask about the grade. The difference will usually be in the average length. UV Alum Oxide Factory finish I assume?

Cotii agradeció a Southern Yellow Pine Direct
  • PRO
    Johnson Flooring Co Inc
    hace 6 años

That sounds like an installed price. I get calls from people looking to buy material and quite often it seems as if some people are willing to sell it just above cost.

Cotii agradeció a Johnson Flooring Co Inc
  • PRO
  • Cotii
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks Southern Yellow Pine Direct! Your floor looks amazing and we are looking for the very similar product. We will do either aluminum oxide or UV oiled finish, but I got mixed reviews on the UV oiled.

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    hace 6 años

Oiled will have more maintenance needs than some other types of finishes.

• User
    hace 6 años

Buying locally gives you a point of presence for any ongoing issues you may have from either the product or its installation. Having a relationship with a well regarded store may help with the manufacturer. Also, the local store probably knows the best installers in the area.

Did you go to the local stores to see the flooring you like or did you pick everything from the online pictures from online retailers? If you use the local stores as a hands on experience to actually see the merchandise but then buy online, haven't you effectively stolen their service the store has provided? The retail stores physically have the merchandise and can provide a service that the online stores cannot. Isn't that worth paying for?

Cotii agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    hace 6 años

@nel smith, you made some really good points. I just want to add to it. Name brand floors are not allowed to be sold online. Their online policies are quite firm on not providing warranty to protect their dealers with a showroom. So consumers should always check with your online sellers before your purchase online.

Cotii agradeció a Unique Wood Floors
  • User
    hace 6 años

Ask the local place to price match the online price. I have found they will do it. At least close enough.

Cotii agradeció a User
  • PRO
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

They cannot match 'the online price' unless it is a commodity type board- that is just not how it really works with UNFINISHED flooring- farther from blade the more you paid. They are normally buying from distributor or not near the volume of an online store- mills that produce flooring not dimensional lumber with flooring as after thought are not the same thing as your local lumber yard, there is a profound difference - check us out next time

• PRO
    hace 6 años

Nothing Engineered is local- it is re imported to be local

• PRO
    Shaw Floors
    hace 6 años

We’re so glad to hear you are considering our products! We certainly have some great, pet-friendly options to choose from. One plus about going to a local Shaw dealer is that they will be there to service you before, during and after the sale. Which online retailers are you looking at? And what are your expectations for purchasing online? We would love to help answer any questions you may have!

Cotii agradeció a Shaw Floors
  • Lesa K
    hace 6 años

I avoid online retailers for such important purchases, particularly where installation and possible warranty coverage is involved. Local shops tend to be much more concerned with your satisfaction rather than just generating high volume sales. Also, based on my experience and nondealer reviews, I strongly urge you to pick virtually any other product other than Shaw. Their warranty is absolutely worthless and I find it appalling that the Shaw reps on this site claim they stand behind their product. It's simply not worth the risk. Good luck and I'm sure your home will look even more beautiful with the new floors.

Cotii agradeció a Lesa K
  • PRO
    hace 6 años

No warranty is worth buying something fake. Engineered flooring is not real

• PRO
    hace 6 años

That is silly, local shops time is money.

• PRO
    hace 6 años

Fumed White Oak Real wood cheaper than that single use garbage. Which FYI all comes from the same factories they just name it different when it gets off the boat. Buy real wood please

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.