Houzz Logo Print
zahradzine

What else should I add with mirror

zahradzine
hace 10 años
Thoughts on what to add to large wall with mirror? Candle sconce on either side maybe? Hall is too narrow for a console table and my taste is contemporary. I can only add to wall. The paint marks will be taken care of soon so plz ignore those.

Comentarios (62)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Oh, I could not see how much horizontal space you had there. I think the mirrors look great there with 2. A couple of suggestions:

-hang them equidistant between the top of the opening to the left to the and the floor.
    -does the door open into the mirror? Accident? Will a door stop clear the mirrors?
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Door won't open to the mirror and here's a better pic of the wall
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The mirror looks so small in the pictures but in reality it's big
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    I like the 2 mirrors hanging next to each other. You've made a great choice! Gorgeous house and you've made excellent choices.
  • Dar Eckert
    hace 10 años
    Hanging both mirrors vertically as in your photo looks nice. Since you have the mirrors...go for it.
  • Judit
    hace 10 años
    no, no, they will look great vertically placed
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    What is the picture of above with them vertically placed? Now that I look, it is a different house? I notice different stairs?
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Yes it's a diff house. I saw the pic online and I figured maybe I could do the same mirror placement on my wall.
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks judit, I hope you're right. I'm nervous!
  • daylightca
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I would consider buying a third and placing them horizontally, one on top of another. You've got quite a bit of height, but little interest on that wall as compared with the opposite side.
  • daylightca
    hace 10 años
    See below. Excuse the clumsily rendered image. I would move them a bit to the left.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I would place the Crate & Barrel Silviano console in your entry with two of the mirrors just 4" apart centered vertically over the console. The console is 7' long. Be sure to click on the photo to see the whole thing. It's BIG!
    Silviano 84" Console Table · Más información
  • daylightca
    hace 10 años
    I just noticed that my plan may cover up your vent. Oops!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Okay...now I see. I was trying to figure out where the height went when you posted that second pic. Now I see it is not your house.

Are you going to center them across from the artwork? With all of that height, I am almost thinking a large round mirror that would repeat the round landing would be better. That way, your eye does not stop at the top of the mirror.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    I like the idea of a slimline console table.
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Carolyn, I was thinking of that table too. But this mirror is 6ft long so it would work horizontally I think instead of vertically.
  • Madeline
    hace 10 años
    This is a nice console table, 54" wide and not as expensive as CAK's excellent choice.

http://www.hayneedle.com/sale/uttermostanteroconsoletable.cfm
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Cdr the wall is so large I don't know.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Right.....it would need to be a very large round mirror. Alternatively, I like Carolyn's idea of placing the 2 mirrors vertically above a slim console. If you place them horizontally, your eye will stop at the top one.

You have to consider how tall that wall is. You really need something to ground the mirrors and a slimline console table will work.

What is the size of each mirror?
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Well I was thinking of just keeping only one mirror horizontal just like I have now, and just putting the table under. I think two vertically that high would be too much. Each mirror is 74" h x 37" w
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    If that wall is also a high wall then placing the two mirrors vertically would look fab!
  • Geneviève
    hace 10 años
    I was thinking about a conversation piece :)
    Retro Watch Wall Clock · Más información
    ]
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    So to place them in either direction, they will need a large console. The 84" one from C&B would work in your entry.
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Carolyn, the wall isn't as high as it looks in the pictures. For some reason the wall eats the mirror up in the photos but in reality the mirror looks pretty big on the wall. Maybe the tan color if the wall makes it look larger in pics.
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Carolyn, only issue is it is 18" deep and the hallway is so narrow ppl would need to step around it when passing through. Also, my coffee table and side tables are espresso wood, can an iron black table still mix in well?
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    I understood in your first photos that you couldn't use a console and that's why I suggested placing 1 mirror vertically under the overhang.

But then you posted photos of a bigger area which appeared to be an entry. It's the pair of photos with the green rug placed against what look to be entry doors. So I assumed that was your entry. I apologize for misunderstanding. An 18" deep console will certainly NOT work in the area shown in your original photos.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Iron can mix with espresso wood quite nicely.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    What do you think of placing the mirrors more under the stair landing (vertically) I am not sure how far over you can go to the right.....it looks like there is a door there. In this case, you may want to go with three mirrors.
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Carolyn, I can see how those pics created a mix up. Confused a few others too, but thanks for the advice on mixing diff materials, I'm always a bit afraid of that.

Cdr, honestly I think 2 mirrors is enough, even that makes me nervous lol the wall is so close to the living room that I fear it will overwhelm it with such big dark mirrors there.
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Two of these 40" consoles put together might do the trick. They are only 8" deep. Thoughts?
  • daylightca
    hace 10 años
    If you purchased your mirror from ikea, then it is about 2" thick. In my opinion, this console table would look very anemic beneath it.
  • PRO
    Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
    hace 10 años
    People use mirrors much too often. You should only add a mirror if you have something interested to reflect. (a beautiful view to water or gardens). You will be better off to hang a couple of pieces of art in that space.
  • PRO
    Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
    hace 10 años
    .... something INTERESTING.....
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Maybe I should return the mirrors then. Seems to not be working. :(
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    hace 10 años
    If you are considering a set of two pieces, here are more ideas for you... Raisa
    Banana Composition II, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, art print - paper, canvas · Más información
    Banana Composition III, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, art print - paper, canvas · Más información
    Leaf Study I, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · Más información
    Leaf Study II, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · Más información
    Patchwork I by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print, giclee · Más información
    Patchwork II by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print, giclee · Más información
  • PRO
    Iris K. Rizenbah Lighting Design
    hace 10 años
    You can use an LED stripe around the mirror from the back. This will give a glowing effect.
    You will need to add a back board to the mirror, about 1", and it will be smaller than the mirror frame, 2" on each side. If you use color changing LED you will be able to change colors.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Zahradzine, I too was confused by the photos and sorry to have lead you down the wrong path but thought the 2-mirror side-by-side photo was your house (although I couldn't figure out how your ceiling suddenly shortened......duh!!)

Anyway, sometimes, when you are not sure what to do, is to to nothing. Remember, in the beginning, I said nothing there is better than the wrong thing.

You do not have to fill up every part of every wall. The eye needs a rest.

The challenge is that, when you have 2-stories and you fill up only the first story, it does not look good.

This is an important space, though, since it is your entryway and the seating group is facing it (by the way, have you considered changing the couch to float it and face the windows?)

I do have an idea and don't know how hard or easy it will be. What about a really striking chandelier there? No mirrors, no pics, just a really cool piece.

Is there a light there now?

houzz=
    Phinney Umbrella House · Más información
    ]

[houzz=
    Seagrove, FL · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=
    Quality Design · Más información
    ]
  • PRO
    Wholesale LED Lights
    hace 10 años
    Have you thought about backlighting the mirror with LED Strip Lights. The green in this image is a bit garish, but you can get subtle warm and cool white coloured strips.
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I don't think I will do the LED lights, but thank you. I've decided to move the mirror into the dining area. I'm going to fix up the mirror and make it more interesting by covering the entire frame in mosaic tile. It'll look like a great statement piece on my dining room wall.

Cdr I am going to hang a big pendant light by the door. There are no other places to add a light. As for the wall I will leave it blank for now until I can figure out what I can do. The couches can't be placed anywhere else, the living room area is small n to do any other configuration would place them in the hallway. They look neat and in place where they are. This wall has been a challenge.
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The pendant for the doorway is this.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    I do like how the living room looks so neat and tidy. I am assuming you have a fam room also.

I think a light is all you need right now for the area. I love the idea of placing the mirror in the dining room and adding mosaic tile to it!

Smart move all around.
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks cdr. Yes, family room is down the hallway. This room is more of a formal room for company.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    It was a pleasure commenting on your gorgeous home (even though we decided on nothing).....but, sometimes the best choice of all.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Your living room is lovely, but needs just a wee bit of tweaking. I'd add colorful pillows to the sofas and different and bigger accessories on the coffee table. Blue is the color that comes to my mind for the pillows, but because your room is quite neutral, it could be almost any color you like.

For coffee table accessories, you definitely need to think big. I usually try for 3 things on the table, and the beautiful items on the table below kind of stick to the "three" rule, but sneak in a couple of extras by stacking some on top of others.
    Greek Key Indoor And Outdoor Pillow Cover, Blue And Ivory By Loubella1 · Más información

Navy Blue Ombré Pillow Cover by Just Dwell · Más información
    Ikat Throw Pillow Covers, Blue by Posh Street Pillows · Más información

Greenwich Penthouse · Más información
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Mirror is running wrong way buy another one or two hang vertically. No more than 2-3" between. Would fill space better. Hang low. Can't tell how tall? You you have high ceilings, may need taller? Love your home. Good job.
  • PRO
    YGS Design & Development
    hace 10 años
    I suggest a long narrow accent table, dark brown wood (to match the mirror frame). Seems like it's located in a high traffic area in the house, will probably be great to have a place (a nice decorative bowl) to drop keys, mail or even phone. A small vase with fresh flowers will jazz it up, and a few framed pictures will give it character.
  • zahradzine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Carolyn, I definitely need more accessories. I'm just trying to do the bigger stuff first and then fill in the small stuff. Pillows are def on my list, and I want some large books for my coffee table along with some more accessories.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Good thinking, zahradzine!
  • Dar Eckert
    hace 10 años
    Did you hang them? How about a photo?
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.