Houzz Logo Print
lauren_england98

island vs. kitchen table

Lauren
hace 6 años
Hello houzzers! We are planning a renovation of our 1950s ranch/traditional house.
Our kitchen/breakfast area is roughly 19’ x 16’. Right now there is a peninsula that basically cuts the room in half, making the kitchen feel small but allowing for room for a small, round kitchen table. We are considering taking out the peninsula, bringing the cabinets and counters all the way down the wall and adding an island. The drawback is that we will lose the space to put a kitchen table, BUT we would have an island we could sit at. That do y’all think? Keep layout and kitchen table or put in an island and use that for seating?
make kitchen bigger, put in island and use it for informal dining
keep u shaped layout and kitchen table

Comentarios (34)

• K Laurence
    hace 6 años

Would the island be table height or bar height?

• Lauren
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Counter height. 36” and it would house the main sink in the middle. I apologize, I should’ve included that info. We would have the range moved to the middle of the room and have the island centered with that so that the sink is directly across from the range.
  • K Laurence
    hace 6 años

In that case I would prefer a kitchen table unless you have a separate dining room.

• Lauren
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    We do have a separate dining room
  • functionthenlook
    hace 6 años

Do you have a formal dining room? If not I would go with a table.

• Lauren
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    We do have a formal dining room
  • Melissa Gallagher
    hace 6 años
    For how many people?
  • Lauren
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    It would need to seat 4, my husband, 2 children and myself. We may have more kids though, but I’m not sure that we’d be able to fit a kitchen table big enough for five in the space that’s there now.
  • Melissa Gallagher
    hace 6 años
    It looks like a tight squeeze for the island. How much space between the island and the wall with the oven?
  • Melissa Gallagher
    hace 6 años
    Or is it a microwave on that wall?

Would you have anything on that other wall then!
  • auntthelma
    hace 6 años

The third alternative is to delete the peninsula and, instead of an island, get a large kitchen table.

• Melissa Gallagher
    hace 6 años
    Sorry....?, not !
  • Lauren
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Melissa, the cabinetry, microwave and counters on the left wall would not be there if an island is the way we go. That’s only going to be there is we keep the same general layout.
  • Lauren
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Here’s a little sketch of the island floor plan to help
  • Nidnay
    hace 6 años
    I would go with an island. Here is a pic of my kitchen. It’s 20 x 16, so I have an extra foot. The island is 8' 3" (99") x 6' 8" (80"), and seats 4 comfortably and there is plenty of isle room (both isles are 53” wide and the isle for the stove area is 60”).
  • Lauren
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

nidnay, that is a beautiful kitchen!!!

autthelma, I've thought about just having a kitchen table, but I'm afraid it would wind up not helping us with resale in the event we try to sell.

• PRO
    CAD4interiors
    hace 6 años

Why don't you extend the cabinets to create a U shape.. ?. I'm going to need more information. I'm not visualizing the current kitchen.

One tip that I would say is that counter heights table are so out, you'll never going to use it, plus if you add the island you'll have more storage.

If you really need the table I'll just add a rectangular shape dining table like the images attached.

• Lauren
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    KAZA, thanks for the reply! I’m attaching some pics of the actual kitchen to help. There is a window that extends to the floor on the far wall, and that’s the only reason I didn’t extend the cabinets to make a U shape. I am open to that idea though, however I’d prefer not to lose that light, and I’m sure it’s not necessarily inexpensive to take out half that window.
  • Maureen
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

My brother opted for an island for his family of five and gained a really functional spot - a gathering place when they entertain, a great location to lay out a buffet for large gatherings and convenient when someone is cooking and you can sit and chat, it just feels more connected. Go as big as you can and you'll never look back and make sure you can add enough comfortable chairs.

• Melissa Gallagher
    hace 6 años
    I vote island.
  • PRO
    CAD4interiors
    hace 6 años

Lauren,

Having a pantry in that location changes everything. With that said, I don't think you need to touch that window though. One important thing here is the circulation area, If you add a countertop height table in the island you'll have interrupted circulation.

I agree to build an island with the sink and a dishwasher. (make sure you have enough room for moving and open and closing doors). Then you can keep the layout you draw. The nook area could be on the opposite side with a 54 R table, next to the other window on the left. That way you can move the play area to the right and use the storage for your kid's stuff.

I truly think you need to keep that roundtable. It is where you are going to spend most of the meals with your family. The table in the island is more to eat and then leave. I'm not a big fan, as you can see.

Make sure there's enough room to extend the cabinets to the wall (you should have 24" from wall to window). Also, take a look at the passageway measurements.

• Milly Rey
    hace 6 años

Losing a table in the kitchen will be a huge resale problem.

• Lauren
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Milly, that’s a big concern of mine. Ugh!
  • Lauren
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    KAZA, we would take out that pantry. It isn’t very functional- a lot of wasted space! I would incorporate floor to ceiling cabinets with pull out drawers and shelving, probably next to the fridge if we do the island.
    If we keep the same general layout, we will put the floor to ceiling cabinets with pull out drawers and shelves and an adjacent countertop with a microwave in the upper cabinets above those counters where the pantry is now.
  • Emily Jowers
    hace 6 años

I've seen a lot of people recently opt for a larger kitchen over having the breakfast nook area. As long as there is seating in the kitchen, I wouldn't worry about it. You could also go for the kitchen table as the island. I've seen that done well but I think that would be more likely to hurt resale than having a beautiful, large kitchen.

• PRO
    CAD4interiors
    hace 6 años
    Just leave the pantry where it is and add some pull out drawers. I also like the idea of tall cabinets to take advantage of the space. I think yoir kitchen will turn out spacious and gorgeous.

Take a look at the kitchen renovation we just made. We changed the layout, extended the kitchen and added to the layout a preparation island. The client loved it.
  • Melissa Gallagher
    hace 6 años
    Nice work KAZA!
  • Lauren
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    KAZA- beautiful kitchen!!!
  • PRO
    CAD4interiors
    hace 6 años

Thank you Mellissa and Lauren!!

• PRO
    CAD4interiors
    hace 6 años

Looks awesome!!

• Lauren
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks KAZA!
    I will post more pics as the project progresses!
  • PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    hace 6 años

Glad you went with the island. Breakfast nooks are dead space and kill resell value in the market I am in, everyone wants an island.

• Lauren
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I’m glad we went with an island too, Sativa! It’s going to be way more functional!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.