Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_587055

Kitchen redo

User
hace 6 años
Hello. Our kitchen is dark and all brown. The trim and other cabinets in the home are Benjamin Moore Simply White. I have attached pictures of our style and inspiration. As the house is white on white, would it be too much white if we painted the cabinets simply white? Darker granite or quartz? Thank you!

Comentarios (24)

• orec3
    hace 6 años
    You have an attractive kitchen, but I agree it is dark. You could paint the exterior cabinets a white that works with counters and keep the island wood tone. Maybe think about using a lighter tile on the backsplash.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

what a nice kitchen area! If you want that white on white look, will you be replacing the floors and splash, in addition to the countertop?

what about the shutters? although beautiful, they seem a bit large and 'in the way' over the kitchen sink. If you remove those and let in some light, would that help?

I like the idea of painting the cabs and leaving the island wood. (or vice versa)

to get these painted by a cabinet pro, you're looking in the 5K or more range. Is that doable?

Have you considered adding hardware to your cabs? if you will be painting, these will be a must to keep the painted surface clear from your fingers.

here is a layout similar to yours.

If you did everything white, perhaps doing a walnut topped island would bring in some depth amidst the all white.

all white:

and example of leaving the island in wood:

• PRO
    The Proposed Plan
    hace 6 años

Replacing the countertop and backsplash in lighter color would help. How about painting/replacing the island cabinets in cream tone?

• User
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you very much for your help. Yes, we agree, the shutters are not good! We can remove them but need something besides fabric because of the sink. We can definitely paint the cabinets and leave the island. We will try and find a backsplash to compliment a lighter granite, as well.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 6 años

do you HAVE to have something on the windows or can you leave bare?

if not, you could do minimal type of blinds

don't worry about backsplash until the counters are in. are you leaving the flooring?

• User
    hace 6 años

The first thing to change is the lighting. The second is the counters. The third is the backsplash. Do not paint a thing until you have addressed those 3 steps. I think that will be more than enough.

• mnmamax3
    hace 6 años

I don't know what your budget is, but if you like the overall wood color (I think the cabinets are really pretty) then I would start with the simple things others have already mentioned: the lighting, a lighter backsplash, painting the trim around the shutters (and/or remove the shutters), and try a light complimentary granite on the island top only. Something like Alaska White could bring in the creamy/white but avoid the expense/hassle of painting those pretty cabinets.

• Kim
    hace 6 años

I vote for not painting the beautiful cabinets. I agree painting the island, replacing the backsplash and counter with something lighter and removing the shutters will make a big difference in how you view the space.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you so much everyone. We really appreciate it. Is it possible to place tile on top of the tile or do we need to remove it?
  • Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    hace 6 años

Hi Cgrahm97,

I think your kitchen is lovely.

Perhaps swap out a few upper cabinet doors with glass or mesh and add in cabinet lighting? See first if you like that? And then go for a more modern, updated backsplash?

Having the white grout in the floor tiles is a great starting point, it drew my eye quickly.

• PRO
    Scorziell Development, Inc.
    hace 6 años
    White would go with your inspiration photo and Simply White would be a safe choice. If you are keeping your floor, I would not use a white marble or quartz. A light quartz with a little movement would be nice. I think that Quartz Rondi found at Arizona Tile would be light but have a little warmth to allow you to keep your floor and even the backsplash, if you can get out your granite and save it. Here is a photo of one of my kitchens with Rondi and off white.
  • jhmarie
    hace 6 años

I did a light quartz and cream subway tile backsplash with my stained cabinets and the kitchen is very light. I also would not paint the cabinets - but it is your home.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 6 años

no tile on tile. remove it. (plus it would make your floor too high for the existing cabinets)

• PRO
    Milano Doors
    hace 6 años

Hello. You have very beautiful kitchen for this reason I would advise you to change nothing.

• PRO
    GlideRite Hardware
    hace 6 años

Hello,

You could paint the cabinets white and leave the island. Adding cabinet hardware is also an easy and inexpensive way to update your kitchen. Take a look at our hardware and let us know if we can assist you with anything!

https://www.houzz.com/pro/glideritehardware/__public

Kind regards,

GlideRite Hardware

• Bri Bosh
    hace 6 años
    Updating the counters and backsplash and adding undercab lights will go a long way. Don't paint the wood yet. If it helps her is our before and after.
  • PRO
    Passionate Home
    hace 6 años

If and only if you decide to paint the cabinets, the differences in painters and products and quality is enormous. You actually can get close to a factory finish but you have to hire the right person who uses the right products and processes. Unfortunately there are a lot of painters who say they can do this but they cannot. No one, no one can do a factory finish with a brush and roller (unless this is the style of finish you want). And, not everything even if sprayed will be done well. You have to do your homework and I would only choose a painter if I could actually see a kitchen they'd done, not just a sample. I see horrid work out there from people who say and/or believe their work is like a factory finish. I like your current finish but I can also imagine them painted. You have to make this decision. Regarding price, you are likely looking at more than 6 or 7k, not 5 that was mentioned to do this work well.

• Sandy Lynn
    hace 6 años
    You have a beautiful kitchen! Why does every kitchen have to be white to be considered updated? I agree with removing those shutters and opening up some natural light. Adding under cabinet lighting as well, would do wonders with the brightness you’re aspiring. The shade of color on those cabinets is rich and gorgeous. To paint them white, would be a mistake.
  • PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    hace 6 años

We actually love your kitchen and think you could update it nicely but getting new lighting, a lighter backsplash, and countertops. That is, if you didn't want to update the entire kitchen.

• PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    hace 6 años

Please let me know if you need any help selecting a backsplash

• Matt Man
    hace 6 años
    Hardware and a fridge that fills the cabinet, or modifications to the cabinet to fit the fridge.
  • PRO
    Kitchen Ideas, LLC
    hace 6 años

If you are set on painting your existing cabinets white, I would suggest doing the island a different color. You could leave it as is, or do a darker stain to them to better contrast the updated white perimeter cabinets.

We did something similar to our clients kitchen below.

I also like the idea of removing the shutters from the window and hanging some blinds similar to these.

Additionally, an update to a lighter countertop throughout would be a good idea.

• acm
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I'd consider painting the cabinets and keeping the stone and backsplash, which work well with the stone. You could do the reverse, but you might end up still wanting lighter cabinets, and then you're really paying for everything. If you paint first, you can always catch your breath and do stone later.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.