Houzz Logo Print
belinda_spelman

updating the outside of house

Belinda Spelman
hace 6 años
any suggestions of how we can update the front of our house to make it more modern??
note we are growing more plants in the garden but the garden and driveway slope down to the house. any good garden ideas wkth utilising the slope as well
Thanks in advance!

Comentarios (34)

• oklouise
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

love your house but not fond of the white cladding on the clerestory windows or the look of the blue? roof tiles but please don't render the bricks...with available funding i would replace the arched garage doors with a single full width door coloured to match the windows (or gal Steel?) try Colorbond paint Ironstone for all the cladding, a darker shade for the gutters and down pipes, Ironstone?, mid range like Bushland or Dune for the roof, Surfmist eaves and fascia and a bright colour like Calendula or Perfect Flower for the front door and big strappy plants and grasses and natives shrubs to enhance the garden and define the front boundary

• girlguides
    hace 6 años
    I like white cladding need contrast of dark and light. Don’t like high brick wall blocking your entrance - anywhere else you can put your bins do you can open up entrance with bright door as under the eaves is very dark / would look good with some contrast eg painting window frames white
  • PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

Hi Belinda

you could look at cutting back the roof line over the windows and extending the existing wall upwards with render over it and get away from the slope downwards in the elevation.

The arches could go and be raised so that there was more clearance above the cars, even if it meant also raising the wall as adjacent. new sectional doors also.

The high line windows could be replaced with a linear aluminium style to give a horizontal band.

the front entry wall could be replaced with a timber or steel feature set forward but more open eg a rectangular ring?

Cheers

• Belinda Spelman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    thank you! the front wall is our front porch. pics attached. if we render I would knock it down at least half way. there is just so much roof to our House!!!
    any idea how $$$ the squaring arches would be?
    Also discussed building into the top of our garage roof which is massive and then have a new roof line above that.
  • Julie Herbert
    hace 6 años
    Hi Belinda,
    I love your house, I would start with the landscaping by planting trees in garden bed on left of photo, you could even widen bed to add a lusher look. we have ‘chanticleer ‘ ornamental pears and they are amazing underplanted with viburnum ‘emerald lustre ‘ and it looks really beautiful, I would add a water feature in bed near front door, hedge path in buxus, some large pots at front door and I think you would have a really modern unique looking home
  • ddarroch
    hace 6 años
    Just like oklouise, I'm not mad about the white cladding near the clerestory windows, too much contrast with the roof.

Which way does the roof face. Looking at the shadows, it looks like it could face north? That could be the best roof for solar PV ever!
  • oklouise
    hace 6 años

please don"t render and change the original style too much but i would expect changing the arches and having one new roller door with remote would cost at least $7000 but better planned in conjunction with the upstairs renovation... the extra height above the garage would give more variation to the wide expanse of roof and then the cost of the other changes included in one budget ..post a floor plan of the existing house to invite suggestions

• Julie Herbert
    hace 6 años
    I really love that front wall at your porch, it is quite a design feature, I think landscaping and more greenery will add an amazing difference
  • Belinda Spelman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    original house
  • Belinda Spelman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    original house
  • Belinda Spelman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    extension added in the 90s
  • Belinda Spelman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks everyone. I am really lost as to where to go with landscaping. Want to keep it easy maintenance and we have just had all the trees removed so I have a blank slate. We have considered pulling the pavers up and doing a new path to make it more modern but just aren't sure where to start to freshen it up.

• annb1997
    hace 6 años

Hi, Belinda. Good ideas above. Just looking closely at your 3rd photo (of that front wall just below white infill) it looks like lower bricks might need repointing. That said, I do like idea of lowering that wall (in line with white infill) so you get a better view of your front door and entry way. It's probably better for security as well. The bricks at entry are attractive so I wouldn't render them.

Agree with Julie about landscaping, esp garden bed on left in pic. A smallish tree (so no interference w/overhead lines) and underplanting as suggested would make nice transition from end of house and garden.

you mentioned modernising, so I'm wondering about the entry and garage front light fixtures. Can they be changed to help with this. I can't really tell from photo if they complement each other or are modern design. Plus, I think you could use additional lighting, and possibly some along your pathway too (solar?).

the idea of building into roof cavity over garage is a great one, if you are planning a renovation. The roof line as it is would make for interesting ceilings in rooms; however, I tend to agree the strip of 3 windows looks disproportionately small in relation to the roof.

Do you enter the house from inside garage? Do you find path from drive to front door inconvenient as you have to walk around the garden bed/entry wall?

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    hace 6 años

I'd go with new landscaping as the modernisation rather than the dwelling itself.

I would remove the brown paved front path. Its all too much brown on brown for me bit like the grey on grey we seem to have at the moment.

These are a design 'classic'. Becoming quite popular with the mid century modern (and onwards) retro lovers.

Perhaps remove arches to roller doors, new tiles to entry? Repaint the white to something else, Monument or black, match it with window frames or roller doors perhaps. Whatever you do, either run with the current style or change completely as anything in the middle may end up being another house style not knowing what its trying to be.

Do the plans mention builders company and year, Pettit & Sevitt did a lot then many others copied the style?

• annb1997
    hace 6 años

Another thought is if you pulled down the front brick entry walls and open up the entry. Remove that garden bed for time being. Either extend the tiled porch outward to enlarge it, including adding steps leading from porch to drive near garage. Then finish concrete with tiles to match what you already have. My personal choice would be to replace and enlarge the current porch with decking and timber steps between deck and driveway near garage. This would modernise your entry, plus extend it so you can have greater functionality. Would be a lovely spot to sit for cuppa and book, perhaps.

• Emma
    hace 6 años

I would have to agree with Annb about the front entry, that would open up the front and make it look more inviting. I actually like the bricks on the house and wouldn't render them.

• Belinda Spelman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I like the idea of the porch and the landscaping. I know that will make a massive difference. could be worth getting a professional to give us some advice!!!
  • Belinda Spelman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    front garden
  • Julie Herbert
    hace 6 años
    I think that bowl water feature that I mentioned before would look stunning in your front garden near entrance shown in your last photo, so many wonderful ideas from passionate Houzzers,
  • Belinda Spelman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Yes I have always wanted a water feature there. we will have to investigate how to move the big rock in the middle. we have tried before with No luck
  • PRO
    Joe Adsett Architects Pty Ltd
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

This house is interesting.... it certainly displays a lot of roof to the street!

I'd remove the Brick wall blocking the entry as a start. The wall does create privacy but its isn't very welcoming. You could easily define a new entry by incorporating an entry pathway that is sufficiently landscaped with a combination of large shade trees and ground cover (also contributing to privacy from he streetscape). I like the brick however, the arches are quite dated. A new large garage door would be much more practical as well as an aesthetic improvement.

I would definitely look at fencing the front yard and opening the living area into this area to increase the openness. The living space would currently feel quite enclosed.

• Belinda Spelman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Any suggestions of plants????

I have planted a frangipani tree on the LHS not viable in photo.

I have NO idea with gardening so types of plants to look for would be great!

• Julie Herbert
    hace 6 años
    Hi Belinda,
    Re garden, I would plant ‘snow pears’ pyrus Nivalis underplanted with viburnum ‘emerald lustre‘ the pears have a nice straight stem and add an elegance to the garden, a grey green leaf that blends well with other plants, mirror this on other side of driveway also, keep your planting restricted to just a few varieties for a more designer look, definately water feature in front bed, we removed a rock like that , blood sweat and tears but was so worth it, bed in front of wall looks like planted with dwarf ‘Rhoeo ‘Moses in the cradle, needs a bit of a tidy, edge and feed lawn replant your lovely pots on porch and it could really lift your house into something quite gorgeous
  • Belinda Spelman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you Julie!!! How tall do those trees grow out of interest?

telling my hubby about the rock.....i want it gone!!!!!
  • PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

your house has so much potential.

i started drafting some suggestions, but i think it would be misleading as i think the suggestions would only work together as a whole and once everything has been considered - i could assist you if you would like to appoint us for a consultation. it'd be well worth the investment.

• Julie Herbert
    hace 6 años
    hi Belinda,
    thats what I said to my hubby too, haha!!!
    Have a look at Peter Fudge gardens, just beautiful, he said he uses them in his designs, it is a medium tree (can grow to 10 mts in maturity) responds to a light prune to keep it to the size required, I prune our pears every 3-4 years and they look fab, he uses it in residential gardens , pleaches and underplants to give that beautiful elegance, look up his website for inspiration and he has great advice and his gardens are divine, can't wait to see what you do.
  • Julie Herbert
    hace 6 años
    Belinda, if you ever wanted to change path in future this would look nice
  • Julie Herbert
    hace 6 años
    These are my ‘chanticleer ‘ pears , been in 7 yrs so height not a problem, and viburnum hedge also box hedge is hardy too and only needs 2 trims a year
  • Belinda Spelman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    thats beautiful Julie!
    I actually want to do a hedge out the front or back but scared a out the amount of maintenance with 2 little kids.
  • Julie Herbert
    hace 6 años
    viburnum is a low maintenance hedge , just a snip here and there, I really love your house, it's a lovely home, do you have a view at the back, bet you love living there
  • Belinda Spelman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    here are some photos Julie. It is quite the unique house and still very much a work in progress. excuse the kids stuff everywhere!
  • Julie Herbert
    hace 6 años
    Oh Belinda it is lovely, how wonderful to have such a great looking house, front and back, how lucky you are, you really don’t need to do much, only add a few more plants and you are there, lovely to see the kids stuff , they are so lucky to have a great space, bet they have a wow of a time
  • Belinda Spelman
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you Julie!!! we do love living here!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.