Houzz Logo Print
hilborn1

MSI Quartz vs. Cambria Quartz

hilborn1
hace 6 años

Help please! Trying to make a decision between MSI Calacutta Verona and Cambria Brittanica or Torquay. I've read everything that I can find about both products, but really would like to hear real life reviews on both! I need to make a decision this week and I'm so torn! From a style perspective, I would be happy with either MSI or Cambria, but I would love to know if the Cambria stone is that much superior to the MSI stone to justify the extra cost. Obviously the price of the MSI products appeal to me, but I don't want a sub-par product. I lean towards the look of the MSI Verona, but I'm concerned about the quality. Can anyone weigh in - especially with actual use information? Thanks so much!

Comentarios (209)

• Sue
    hace 3 años

Jennifer F. Here are some pictures of the scratches on my MSI. Not sure where they came from.

• Sue
    hace 3 años

Here are the pictures

• dunstonstl
    hace 3 años

I haven’t seen any like that before, but have you tried a dry magic eraser with lacquer thinner? Can you feel any ridges with a fingernail?

• Chessie
    hace 3 años

Oh...so scratches. ("Scarring" is rather an odd term for this so that is why it was a little confusing.)

Looks like that may have been done at the install. Did you contact the fabricator?

• KW PNW Z8
    hace 3 años

Look like swirl marks made by a buffer or polisher

• Meagan O'Connell
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

dunstonstl I love your photos of the Calacatta Miraggio. I am looking at using this in an upcoming kitchen reno - how have they held up?

What paint color did you use for your cabinets?? I love the grey.

• Kelly Kay
    hace 3 años

So I have had laminate counters that I HATE that stain and have dreamed of granite or quartz for years. A burst pipe behind some cabinets has forced an unplanned kitchen remodel.

Most threads I read have people loving their Cambria quartz and this is the first time I have heard a lot of complaints. In particular, I am worried about the staining issue as I was told the quartz is non-porous and therefore should absolutely NOT stain no matter what and the biggest thing was don't put anything hot on the counter.

I do not want stained countertops which happened to my laminate.

Regarding price, I have learned the "cheap" options aren't by brand but by which colors are "in house" for various fabricators. When a style is in house, they do not make you buy the full slab. For me, this difference is huge as I have an add 3-sided, 2-level island that otherwise creates huge amounts of slab waste. Not having to pay for that waste makes me look at those in-house colors really close. And they are chosen by the fabricator, so they will be different depending on who picked what.

I have also noticed there are tier levels of design in anything. For Cambria, it appears the more marble-y it looks, the more it goes up in price. I just didn't let myself get attached to any of those, even at no-slab-waste prices as, again, unplanned remodel.

If any Cambria owners can tell me about the stain-ability of it, I'd love to know now. I've been eyeing Berwyn and Torquay which I like better than Vicostone's Argento which is the next closest in-house I've seen that I like. Nothing bright white works with my tile, it has to be a certain creamy shade to not clash so it limits my options.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 3 años

Sue:

I agree with KW. Those look like tool marks. When the fabricator comes to look, go out to his truck, grab a pad off his grinder, and set it next to the swirl. I'm sure you'll get a match.

The only way those are coming out is with a Quartz Renew kit from Regent Stone Products. Make him practice in the shop first please, unless he feels like replacing the tops. Check the repair against an untouched factory finish under low level light as in your pictures.

• dunstonstl
    hace 3 años

Meagan O’Conell thank you! I’m just installing the backsplash now so hopefully can post some better pictures next week. I think they’re holding up great in the short time that we’ve had them. I set tools and materials and everything else on them as we do other projects around the house. They do show a light grey “scarring” when scratched but they always come out with the methods I’ve described previously. As far as the cabinets, we did not paint them.. they are ikea lerhyttan grey.

• Chessie
    hace 3 años

Kelly Kay - I have had LG Viatera quartz counters for over 3 years now. I have found nothing that stains my counters.

• Dianna Campbell Brown
    hace 3 años

@ainsleykarl sorry just saw your post the alabaster white has held up fine. For some reason it shows every watermark. I Love the look but it seems hard to clean.

• Justin Hassan
    hace 2 años

@Dianna Campbell Brown I'm doing my own research here on quartz and your photos look to use a possible quartz backsplash as well?

I'm currently deciding on whether to use MSI calacatta laza as a backsplash behind my range. (If you're using a quartz backsplash) are you seeing any difficulties with heat-staining/scorching of the quartz right above the range? What range is that you're using? How long have you had it?

I hope you don't mind me asking, just wanting to make the right choice in my remodel!

• Dianna Campbell Brown
    hace 2 años

Justin
    Yes I used the same quartz for my backsplash abs love it. I have not had any issues.
    I used monogram range and love it

As far as the quartz. I believe my mci quartz wads lower quality than others in their line
    Diana

• Kelly Kay
    hace 2 años

@Dianna Campbell Brown - Which monogram range are you using? The one with the digital timer and all brass, or the one with only the middle burner brass and no digital timer? That is what I was looking at getting, and I was going to do quartz as well, although I was going to choose Cambria Torquay.

• Justin Hassan
    hace 2 años

Thanks so much for the response Diana! Do you remember the name of your pattern of quartz? Loving the look of it

• Dianna Campbell Brown
    hace 2 años

Justin I used alabaster white

• Scottie Shull
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

My husband and I are doing a remodel. We are looking the MSI quartz. Calcatta Laza, Calcatta Venice and a couple of Granites.

After reading this thread, we set off to do our own experiments.

Top left is hot sauce, bottom left cherry kool-aid and on the right the infamous pink.post it note.

• Scottie Shull
    hace 2 años

RESULTS AFTER 20 MINUTES.

GRANITE -TOP, CORIAN- MIDDLE

AND MSI CALCATTA LAZA BOTTO

• Scottie Shull
    hace 2 años

Pink post it note stained every surface. As seen above.

Granite stained the least.

The post it note stained all of them.

• Scottie Shull
    hace 2 años

After 20 seconds of scrubbing with dish washing soap and a paper towel.

• Scottie Shull
    hace 2 años

A little scared of my quartz now.

We cook with our kid all the time. We are messy while doing it and have fun.

Not sure if quartz can really hang in there with us.

• Chessie
    hace 2 años

Wow! Never heard of the pink sticky note test - great job! I am going to try that on my own sample of my counter. This would be the first stain that I have not been able to remove so this is very informative! FWIW, I rarely bother with using dish soap on my counters - if it doesn't come off with hot water and a sponge, I know I need to use something much stronger.

• Chessie
    hace 2 años

Success, That pink sticky note is just awful! But I got it off.

Tomato paste, hot sauce, and the dreaded note. I left them on for an hour.

Wiped with water and a cloth.

With dish soap and a sponge - that got off the tomato paste and the hot sauce. I was actually impressed with that!

After some Krud Kutter sprayed and wiped.

And my cleaner of last resort - BKF liquid. I let it sit for about 20 minutes. It was nearly all gone but still just a shadow. Pulled out my Fantastic Kitchen Max, sprayed it and let it sit for another 10-15 minutes and that did it. No loss of sheen at all.

All gone.

I will definitely keep those sticky notes away from water and my counters!! That is a PITA!

• Sue
    hace 2 años

What is Fantastic Kitchen Max? I need that just in case!

• Chessie
    hace 2 años

Well it looks like it has been renamed or rebranded. I HATE it when they do that. But this is the product. Thankfully I have plenty left - I will make sure I keep it for my counters now.

• Scottie Shull
    hace 2 años

What brand of quartz did you test it on?

Trying to figure out what to buy for our remodel.

• Chessie
    hace 2 años

Scottie Shull - I tested it on a piece of the counter that I have installed. (The fabricator installed a 4" splash on the other side of the kitchen and I did not want it so I pulled it off after he left. - that was 4 years ago). It's LG Viatera.

• Stephanie Kendrick
    el último año

@Dianna Campbell Brown Hi there! i was wondering how you still liked your Alabaster White? Im a little worried how it will hold up, but it will be in a bathroom, so not too much wear and tear. It was one of the nicest looking prefab tops I have seen and I looked at so many different brands. I think the prefabs use the cheaper materials/products, but im not sure.

• Dianna Campbell Brown
    el último año

I love it and it still has held up great even in the kitchen with lots of use. I also have in my master bath and other bathrooms.

Dianna

• Stephanie Kendrick
    el último año

@Dianna Campbell Brown okay thanks! Thats so good to hear. I reached out to a couple people on social media who had it and they both said the same thing. Phew! Im excited to get it installed soon. I thought it had nice veining but wasnt too much, as well as a little veining throughout instead of dead space. If that makes sense lol.

• Dianna Campbell Brown
    el último año

I believe you will be happy. Post a picture after its installed

• Stephanie Kendrick
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

@Dianna Campbell Brown

We got the countertop installed last week. So far so good. So pretty in person.

• Chessie
    el último año

Stephanie Kendrick That looks really nice. I actually love your tall backsplash too. Very pretty and clean looking!

• Stephanie Kendrick
    el último año

@Chessie thank you! Yes, our original backsplash was 4 inches but now the standard size is 6. The bathroom is still a work in progress. Still need to change out the mirrors and do the floor. But the countertop made such a big difference.

• Dianna Campbell Brown
    el último año

Stephanie. Looks great

• D A
    el último año

Hi I am trying to decide between MSI (Calacatta Miraggio Gold) or Cambria (Smithfield) and I was wondering what the final consensus was on which was the best choice for quartz in regards to quality, performance etc?

• pippipal
    el último año

DA - I've used Cambria, Caesarstone and Corian Quartz (yep, they have a quartz) and hands-down, it's Cambria. My Caesarstone chipped easily, my Corian Quartz actually stains, which defies the whole point of even having quartz, but Cambria in 3 houses has never, ever given me a problem.

• Ariadne Monfalcone
    el último año

Agree with pippipal. I have Cambria installed in our rented OBX home--kitchen island and counters, 3 bathrooms. It is perfect, and has been in the house for 3-6 years. My renters stain everything, chairs, tables, etc. i can't put anything in the house that isn't bombproof. At the time of the kitchen installation, my designer told me I was lucky to have chosen Cambria as they are the only one in the US. She was stuck waiting for a slab on a boat from Cesarstone, which was holding up another reno she was working on. We had no issues. The colors I chose are NOT pure white as is the look these days, we used seaglass colors, and that may help.

• vbowerman
    el último año

This is helpful info. Going to look at MSI quartz (Calacatta Valentin (warm white) but now thinking of Cambria for kitchen perimeter and quartzite for island. Any other suggestions or input welcome.

• J K
    el último año

Following this also as I’m considering MSI quartz for a kitchen right now. One place I talked to yesterday said the biggest difference in price between the companies is because the bigger guys advertise a lot more, but I’m not convinced. The quotes I’ve gotten for quartz range from about $5500-$9000 depending on the slab, and either way it’s a lot of money for something that is maybe not as high quality as you’re led to believe.

• vbowerman
    el último año

JK if you’re looking at MSI please go to warehouse to view actual slabs. I was planning on using Calacatta Valentin based on sample. My cabinets are vanilla colored and would like a warm white countertop. The slabs at the warehouse were very grey in color- not at all what I’m looking for. Glad I checked it out. Look up MSI online- they have warehouses throughout US. Good luck.

• D A
    el último año

I ended up choosing MSI Calacatta Miraggio Gold and I love it so far. I did go to the warehouse to view the slabs in person.

• llally1
    hace 11 meses

@vbowerman did you make a selection? I've been looking at MSI Callacatta Valentin as well for the warmth of it.

• Sheila Kelly
    hace 11 meses

DA would you mind sharing pics of your kitchen?  I'm planning on getting Calacatta Miraggio Gold as well and there aren't that many real life pictures out there.

• D A
    hace 6 meses

Here are some pictures of the counters when they were first installed. I would warn everyone, the MSI counter is extremely sensitive and stains extremely easily. While I love how it looks, I would never get an MSI quartz countertop again.

• mbarfoot
    hace 6 meses

@vbowerman
    Did you end up going with the Calacatta Valentin from MSI or did you choose Cambria. Trying to make this decision myself! Thanks

• Jessica
    hace 6 meses

DA have you had any problems with staining? I’ve been looking at Mirragio Gold..

• elizabeth Schultz
    hace 5 meses

I have MSI Miraggio Gold. We installed in July. I have two small children and a baby. All are messy eaters and love to color. My husband and I both love to cook. We have had zero staining issues so far.

• D A
    hace 5 meses

That’s so strange. I’m happy for you though. Everything stains ours. I’m constantly having to soak it with hydrogen peroxide for long periods of time.

• D A
    hace 5 meses

And I forgot to mention it’s in our lake house which doesn’t get anywhere near the use our everyday kitchen does.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.