Houzz Logo Print
rhirhi88

I need advice on what colour to paint my old weathered Yorkshire stone

rhirhi88
hace 6 años

My windows are white and the house is weathered Yorkshire stone. The stone window surrounds need painting and I don't know what colour to use.

Ideas needed.

Comentarios (10)

• shadowstep
    hace 6 años

White!

rhirhi88 agradeció a shadowstep
  • Midcenturylass
    hace 6 años
    Don't paint them. The only painted stonework I've seen in West Yorkshire has been the type of plain, straight lintels and they're always black, if they're painted at all.
    rhirhi88 agradeció a Midcenturylass
  • Sue Benson
    hace 6 años
    Please don't paint, natural is classy.
    rhirhi88 agradeció a Sue Benson
  • rhirhi88
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I tend to agree greatly. They need something though to freshen them up and hide the horrible left over ivy tentacles. I want something that is dull but freshening. I don't want to loose the character but it grubby.

• Lauren
    hace 6 años

I've heard the best way to get rid of left over ivy tentacles is a small gas torch to burn them off. Once that is off I imagine there must be a natural stone cleaner you could use?

• PRO
    Ikonografik Design
    hace 6 años

Using a hot works gas torch sounds a bit hazardous and not the safest way of cleaning stonework. Not sure the gas torch would do the plastic cables any favours either, you'd have no internet or tv for a while. An old fashioned new wire brush is probably all that's required, a soft grade wire, not a really hard wire as this will stop too much of the stone surface being ground off. Test on a small inconspicuous patch first and see how it looks, if it looks good then do the rest of the wall. Try not to brush out the mortar though. Don't use a wire brush that has got wet and then got rusty otherwise you may end up creating rusty streak marks. Consider a professionally erected scaffold tower for the high level pieces of walling. Hard work and time consuming but it might work. You can also buy stone cleaner washes which are effectively mild acid washes that take off the surface impurities.

Suggest you buy this book, a must have for old, traditional buildings in the UK. https://www.spab.org.uk/publications/old-house-handbook/ SPAB also do training course for home owners so perhaps see if you can get on a course and learn about how to care for your building properly by the industry experts. Good luck!

rhirhi88 agradeció a Ikonografik Design
  • PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

Try a Jet washer on a small area??

rhirhi88 agradeció a User
  • Lauren
    hace 6 años
    I’m afraid ivy tendrils laugh in the face of even the most vicious wire brushes. Take it from someone who has tried - it doesn’t work!
    rhirhi88 agradeció a Lauren
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.