Houzz Logo Print
julienjaymee

Need help on how to deco this large column or turn it into ??

Vicky
hace 10 años
What should I do with this ? Unfortunately we can't hack it off. How should I disguise it ? I am standing from living area when I took this pic.

Comentarios (72)

• PRO
    Creations Nadia Interior Design
    hace 10 años
    You can put wallpaper ot create some design with small tiles:))))
  • orangecamera
    hace 10 años
    Are those very tall doors, or is it a very low ceiling? There needs to be some light behind the column.

I would leave it round in the back, to make it easy to go from room to room at the end of the hall. I'd square off the front of the column, and add some sort of display shelves, or bookshelves. (The column would resemble the letter D from the top).
  • Harold Mathieu
    hace 10 años
    Go with Scagliola plaster, recessed eyeball lighting around the for corners of the space, and hang Tribal masks around the post with the eyeballs lit upon the works of art. To pronged effect. It will act as a center piece to the space and bounce light in-and-out of the area. ~ Harold
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    I'd paper it with a fabulous print. Depending on your personal aesthetic, you could use a geometric, an oversize damsak or even a beautiful hand painted watercolor from Black Crow Studios (many colors available). http://www.blackcrowstudios.com/html/index.php?v=v1#
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    hace 10 años
    I'd do an amazing wallcovering on it and the rest. These shoe box like condos always need a nice wallcovering to make them warm and interesting. Here is a pic where I had a similar situation at the chandler in Chicago.
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc · Más información
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    Great ideas for the big tube but also please do something about the boring white walls and doors that seem to be completely detached from the dark floors.
  • PRO
    Yaude Studio Designs
    hace 10 años
    My first thought is to do a trompe l'oeil book case. * trompe l'oeil emans to fool the eye. Painting the creates an illusion. Endless possibilities.
  • PRO
    Schroeder Design Group, NCIDQ, Licensed
    hace 10 años
    My 2nd thought is.......was this photoshopped in? I do see a shadow coming off it on the floor......
  • PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    hace 10 años
    Turn it into some useful. You could have shelves built around it for a books or accessories. You could add a shelved around the column for standing and having a drink or something. I have seen some cool columns turned into something practical. I seems like you want it to not look like a big column. What exactly is that space right there....where do the doors lead?
  • jpp221
    hace 10 años
    Where do the doors behind the column lead? If they lead to a secondary or private portion of the home (like the bedrooms), then I would consider just boxing in the column with drywall. Right now, it just attracts a lot of attention to a part of the room that isn't meant to be front and centre.

If the column is in a part of the room where it can't be avoided, where it can't help but draw attention to itself (like an entry way), then I'd embrace it somehow. Build shelves around it (in a square or circular pattern--the latter being more funky), other something like that. But I feel the answer lies in understanding the context of the space within the home and what use could or should be made of the spot.
  • doctornancy
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Wow - what were they thinking when they came up with this?! I'd extend the existing wall to the column and hang a beautiful piece of artwork that coordinates with your living room decor.
  • patty947
    hace 10 años
    It very much depends on your personality and design sense. If you're more traditional, you could go with one of the great suggestions for something like venetian plaster painted with the same colors you're going to put on your walls (I'm assuming they won't stay white) or a marbled effect. If you're more quirky, you could embrace the opportunity to have fun and make it a real statement piece. At first, I laughed at the idea of painting it like a fish tank, but the more I think of it, that would be one fun, quirky way to treat it. How about having it painted like a huge bird cage with some colorful parrots inside? I'm not saying that's my recommendation - just saying you could treat it as an opportunity to have fun. If it's really bumming you out, I like the idea of walling it off per Nancy Reese's suggestion.
  • sheryl N
    hace 10 años
    I saw sth like this when I was searching for an apartment. The owner had bricked the column and used it as a design feature. It actually looked good squared off and bricked, you could also extend the brick wall to the existing wall onthe right, behind it you could use as storage or make a small coat closet/area. Please post more pics, the walls are too white, put sth softer on them if you can.
  • katyt123b
    hace 10 años
    I would frame a round floating deck around it with cushion.
    I would also install mosaic tile 1/2"or 1" to make the radius. Use a very neutral color on tile along with a great bold fabric on the cushion.
  • PRO
    Classic Interiors
    hace 10 años
    What about a lighted water feature all the way around ,floor to ceiling? Column could be tiled in interesting pattern to coordinate with rest of house. I would think a landscape and water feature company could help you.
  • elcieg
    hace 10 años
    You could "square" it off and have it wired, placing a great sconce on each of the four sides. Then I would paint that area area around it a color that coordinates (not matches) a color in your living room. Paint everything (even the ceiling) the same color with different finishes…matte on the walls, semi-gloss on the trim and flat on the ceiling.
    Loft #603 · Más información

This concept…color everywhere and the square column in the middle of the color. (no toilet).

Oceanside Glasstile Red 777 Bath · Más información
  • Faten Mahmoud
    hace 10 años
    Well.. I think you don't have to make it dominant it has to be some how part of the hall or what ever area is it like a camouflage so you will not feel that there is something strange or wrong here
  • Faten Mahmoud
    hace 10 años
    Really Nancy's idea seems to be the best because she sugested to do camouflage and not to do excess of things like cushions or colours or what ever material but she just treat it like a simple wall that's my opinion after all
  • nasmijati
    hace 10 años
    @julienjaymee. What are your thoughts?
  • Dee Joy
    hace 10 años
    With it being rounded, it may be difficult, but perhaps you might be able to turn it into a sort of shelving unit with small floating shelves scattered throughout.
  • PRO
    Bickhaus Homes
    hace 10 años
    I did a slightly smaller column like this for a client. I wrapped it in a rustic rope. It was stunning! I think it would really ground this size column and warm up the space. Have fun!
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    I think mosaic tiles 1/2" x 2", installed vertically around the column in an ivory or soft white ( or white if you're keeping walls that color ) would look as if you actually wanted it there and it wasn't just a construction eyesore. It could be in a flat , tumbled stone or glass, or in a shimmer. But I wouldn't do something with lot of mixed bold colors.
  • Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
    hace 10 años
    What about wrapping it to be a functional bookcase (kind of like this one)
    Revolving Bookcase · Más información
  • elcieg
    hace 10 años
    I think Elvis has left the building.
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    Ha!!
  • katyt123b
    hace 10 años
    Stop trying to hide it or change it! Make it the highlight or centerpiece of your entry! Dress it up!! Whether with mosaic tile , paint, or water. Don't be afraid! Something is better than nothing.
  • trishlovesdecor
    hace 10 años
    How about family photos in black and white all with matching frames that goes with your decor. Just a huge pole where you have exhibited memories. Just placing the picture frames artfully and unpredictably.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    hace 10 años
    I thought I recognized this post - this dilemma has been posted three times over the last few months - the first one the OM posted more details but after that - just a posting and no reply...
  • Laura Ricci
    hace 10 años
    I like trishlovesdecor 's idea best. Make it a gallery of photos all in black frames. Makes it useful and attractive without drawing more attention to the poor aesthetic of a column in the middle of the living space.
  • Mera Lyn
    hace 10 años
    I Agree with Danielle B, Add mirrors, or shiny Mosaic tiles in a golden hue? Something to brighten the room up, I like the pole there is alot you can do to that its just figuring out what you like the most (:
  • pattiegoode
    hace 10 años
    So, ASVInteriors, what's going on then? I've seen other posts that I thought must be a course assignment for a design student. Is that what this is? I've seen expensive, brand new, high-rise apartments in Abu Dhabi with columns just like this but in corners with floor to ceiling windows. My DH was not impressed & we did not rent there. lol
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    hace 10 años
    @patti, no idea but I thought my addled brain remembered a similar dilemma. But the last two times, a posting, lots of answers and no reply... if you go back to the first dilemma you will see more background..
  • onthefence
    hace 10 años
    @cookingupastorm - I know Houzz has actively been responding to old posts that received no responses -- but this wasn't one of them. This is simply the third post about the same dilemma. Heaven only knows why the OP hasn't responded and keeps starting new threads.
  • onthefence
    hace 10 años
    I think sometimes people just aren't familiar with the Houzz interface -- and it appears the interface has problems sometimes as well. That does create some postings that just don't always make sense.

There's also the issue that not all posters here are from North America. Some features and housing issues are very common to their geographic area - but not so much for North America.
  • lookingforgold
    hace 10 años
    Black and white photo gallery is a modern look possibility. unless it is re-plastered; wall papered; changed into a case for books; etc, it is a straighter, more modern structure than the more traditional columns - hanging various sized framed B&W photos might just be the thing.
  • lookingforgold
    hace 10 años
    Hadn't seen trishlovesdecor's comment when I offered my two cents. But that's exactly what I had in mind.
  • onthefence
    hace 10 años
    Nope, I don't work for Houzz ;-) I think pretty much everyone who does who posts here has it listed in their profile (usually says Houzz Community Somethingoranother).

I'm just a rank amateur here learning and occasionally sharing my very non-professional opinion. There are some truly amazing professionals posting here. IMO there are some very talented amateurs as well with an amazing eye.
  • Karen Suggs
    hace 10 años
    I would cover it in mosaic tile...perhaps mother of pearl or coppery finished tile? The new glass tile would be exquisite if chosen in the appropriate shade. Good Luck. The room is going to be beautiful for sure.
  • onthefence
    hace 10 años
    Well, the professionals generally have their professional info listed on their profile page.

Sometimes though I think it's a bit like being out shopping and asking a stranger if they like the look of a garment on you or if they like a particular brand of yogurt. People are generally happy to share what they know - and their taste may mesh with yours. And sometimes you get lucky and come across a professional stylist or gourmet foodie who really knows their stuff and is kind enough to share some of their knowledge with you. Even better is that sometimes said professional is in the right geographic area to get some work or a new contact from the encounter.

IMO only. That and $1.10 will get you a cup of coffee ;-)
  • tink1978
    hace 10 años
    Build a book shelf around it. Or a bench seat all the way around or maybe a bench/desk for a laptop?
  • kathie2219
    hace 10 años
    I would put a large pot plant in front f it with a tall luscious green plant.
    It will give you a visual focus, colour and detract from the unsightly column
  • armygirl1987
    hace 10 años
    ASV-YOU ARE CORRECT. you can see her discussions on her profile page
  • PRO
    Stone and Cottonwood
    hace 10 años
    Soooooo, Angela and ASV, am I understanding that this is not an actual dilemma?
  • armygirl1987
    hace 10 años
    Not sure what it is, just weird that people respond then nothing and then a new dilemma opens up...
  • Vicky
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Sorry for the late reply.. My design for my apartment is tropical theme.. So lots of bamboo furnitures
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 10 años
    Hi ! I'm sure I saw this a couple of months ago ! Still ongoing then ?!
  • Vicky
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    @ orangecamera I hv just the same idea as you to square off the front of the column and add display shelves. Thank you all so...much for your suggestion and ideas!!
  • Vicky
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Yes just started renovation recently.
  • dotme
    hace 8 años

Depending on your toleration for whimsy you might wrap something like this around it.

• vickicz
    hace 8 años
    POST OVER 2 YEARS OLD
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.