Houzz Logo Print
sue_parrinella

Need a Pro's input....Shiplap size for 8' ceiling??

I'm adding some shiplap in our dining that's off of our kitchen. Ceilings are 8'. I'm thinking of doing the 8" panels (actual face is 7.75"ish) vs. the 6" because I don't want a ton of lines. My theory is because the more lines there are would make the ceiling seem shorter? Am I completely wrong in this thinking? Thanks in advance

Comentarios (17)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Why shiplap , IMO this is a weird choice for any space. This is what shiplap is

thecraftsmanblog.com

Shiplap is a type of wooden board used commonly as exterior siding in the construction of residences, barns, sheds, and outbuildings. It is either rough-sawn 1" or milled 3/4" pine or similarly inexpensive wood between 3" and 10" wide with a 3/8" - 1/2" rabbet on opposite sides of each edge.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 6 años

Can the architecture of your home support a farmhouse appearance in one room? Shiplap is usually a technique that is used in various locations throughout

the home.

This is a peel and press wood wall application

A more modern wall texture would be to apply lathe strips of wood to the face of the wall like this below. The effect is similar, but a bit more sophisticated, less expensive and easier to do.

Tony Christopher Properties LLC agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Tony Christopher Properties LLC
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Thank you Window Treats for the affirmation of my thinking. I second guess myself when I shouldn't.

Patricia Colwell Consulting- because I like it?? :)

BeverlyFLADeziner- yes, I'm planning on other locations to tie it all together. We are in FL and this style lends itself to beach life and style of our house. I LOVE the lathe strip option you show. I've never seen that before! How big lathe strips do you recommend? I really might have to consider this option...THANK YOU!

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    hace 6 años

I like the lathe strip too, but the dusting! Not for me, but pretty.

• PRO
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

haha Carolina, that's what I thought about after....we won't be doing that, sticking to shiplap :)

• millworkman
    hace 6 años

8" Shiplap will not be a face dimension of 7.75", just so you know when ordering.............

Tony Christopher Properties LLC agradeció a millworkman
  • PRO
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Yes, thanks Millworkman, that was the "ish" part as I wasn't sure when I posted. I believe it's actually 7.25"?

• palimpsest
    hace 6 años

96" divided by 7.25 is 13.24. If you do 13 full pieces you will have a 1-3/4" piece probably at the top. If you don't want that you may want to center it so that you have a piece about 4-1/2" top and bottom with full in between

4.5 + (12 x 7.25) + 4.5= 4.5 +87 +4.5 = 96

Tony Christopher Properties LLC agradeció a palimpsest
  • PRO
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

^ Good idea palimpsest, thanks. Does the include the spacing?

• palimpsest
    hace 6 años

You will have to figure that out with the actual board width. Measure it and lay it out in pencil at least on the walls in question.

Tony Christopher Properties LLC agradeció a palimpsest
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 6 años

1" lathe strip is easy. See examples on this blog.

https://mydesignchic.com/category/beach-house-bedroom/

• Brandy Smith
    hace 6 años

Hi Sue, I was wondering if you’ve completed this project yet? I am planning on doing the same and would love to see the finished product and get any advice on the process you may have. Thanks

• PRO
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Brandy, not yet....I got distracted with another construction project :/ lol

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 6 años

You could also have the narrower strip at the bottom, where it will flow nto the baseboard.

• PRO
    Justice Homes
    hace 6 años

I've installed shiplap in numerous spec and custom homes with great success and customer delight. We have done everything from clear coat to flat paint to lacquer finishes. It can compliment multiple design strategies.

• Bev
    el último año

@Tony Christopher Properties LLC. Love to see your updated progress. Pictures. Thinking of doing the same 8” shiplap in our home.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.