Houzz Logo Print
treubig9

Converting detached Garage into Studio in Union City , NJ

treubig9
hace 6 años

Hi. We have a home with a detached garage that we want to convert into a studio. The home is a 2 family, and we would like to have the studio as part of the first floor unit. Would we need the detached garage to somehow be attached to the house? or can we just convert and have it as a detached bonus room for first floor unit?

Comentarios (3)

• geoffrey_b
    hace 6 años

You home has frost footings, I imagine your garage does not - it's a slab. You cannot connect these two buildings. Additionally, the garage probably would not come up to code to get a certificate of occupancy. Forget your idea.

• mazelady
    hace 6 años

I have a detached garage that I remodeled the top room into a studio. See my post 'leaning garage'. I have a slab foundation for the garage and pier and beam for the house. In Texas my living space in the garage could not be more than 25% of the square footage of my house. I'm at the max now otherwise I might finish the downstairs area.

• PRO
    MarketPlace Designs
    hace 6 años

If you've not done so already, consult with Union City (city hall/zoning offc) for requirements. There are usually strict compliance issues with living spaces.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.