Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Walnut cabinets and fading

Pipdog
hace 6 años

We have walnut veneer cabinets that were installed in May and after just a few months of sun exposure, they are already fading and I'm already seeing hints of the dreaded orange hue. Has anyone been able to protect their walnut cabinets from further fading? I seem to recall previous threads about a finish oil or clear coat that can be applied that slows the fading process, but can't seem to find it. Thanks

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    Scherr's Cabinets & Doors Inc
    hace 6 años

I apologize, I don't have any good news for you.

Your four major enemies to color shift in wood are light (particularly sunlight!), moisture, heat, and air. Having a high-quality finish with some degree of UV protection is a must if you want to slow-down color shift - this is usually best done immediately after production and by a professional with industrial grade equipment/products. If your cabinets have already been finished and you are seeing color-shift - there are likely no affordable options available to you.

If the wood in your cabinets have already begun shifting, there is little to nothing you can do to get that original color back. Yes, there are a few drastic things you can do to add color, but the original/natural color is gone. Also, if you are working with a veneer, this involves sanding through the finish without sanding through the veneer - which has already been sanded prior to getting its original finish. This is difficult to do without ruining your doors. This color shift is largely unavoidable, it is only really possible to slow the shift. You can't stop it, and you can't reverse it.

A person should always choose wood species based on what the settled in color will be, not how they look now. Some species of wood get more vibrant or darker with age - it's always good to do your homework.

We have a very informative article on color shift in wood on our website, check it out if you get time!

Color Shift in Wood

Pipdog agradeció a Scherr's Cabinets & Doors Inc
  • Fori
    hace 6 años

Your cabinet seller should have been sure you knew this would happen!

I selected walnut for mine with the assurance from my cabinet maker that I would get that wonderful orange fade. Lisa's advice about the window film may be your best bet at this point.

Pipdog agradeció a Fori
  • Pipdog
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks for the input. Lisapoi, thanks for sharing your experience, I'm going to investigate window films. They seem like a good option to protect not just the cabinets, but the rugs, upholstery and art as well. We replaced all of our windows and sliders and they have some UV protection, but apparently not enough. Part of the problem is that the entire back of our house is glass (60+ feet of floor to ceiling glass, plus clerestory windows). And we face northwest in Southern California, so the cabinets just get beaten everyday when the sun is out.

Thanks, Scherr's for the helpful info and article. I knew some fading would occur, but I'm surprised at how quickly they have turned -- the cabinets were installed only in May.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    hace 6 años

Wood cabinets are no different than wood furniture. Strong light is the enemy of both. It's why I close the blinds under my curtain in the afternoon- due west sun coming in on my antique dining room mahogany table. It would eventually turn it gray.

• ksc36
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Try this Howard Restore a finish product followed by the UV wax.

http://www.howardproducts.com/products/wood-care/

• User
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

ksc36, I am a big fan of Howard's for older pieces of furniture and cabinets (I did it to my 38 year old ones and they looked very nice). However, this could void the warranty here since the cabinets are so new. Plus, Howard's does always play nice with all previous finishes. I tried using Howard's on a Paul McCobb credenza and caused hazing to the lacquer.

• ksc36
    hace 6 años

It worked great on my mahogany cabinets. I'd test it in an inconspicuous spot first though.

• Honu3421
    hace 6 años

To control the fading you need to manage the sun. Window film is one option but the film might not provide enough protection on its own. Can you add exterior sun shades? I've seen them done beautifully with remote control operators in high end homes. Do you have interior window coverings? There are quite a few interior options for shades that block UV rays and don't close out the view - which yours is spectacular!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.