Houzz Logo Print
bfogg1253

What's the current kitchen styles for 2017?

bfogg1253
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Cannot believe my husband said "let's do it!", new kitchen countertops and the island. (And!! New sink, faucet.) light fixtures, and paint. Wahoo!

We found a quartz that we like, fabricator coming on Tuesday. What should we be looking and asking for that is going to modernize our little kitchen.

What type of counter edge should we consider?

Should we be considering a quartz undercount sink?

Thank ni you for the help

Bonnie

Comentarios (18)

• lucky998877
    hace 6 años

Please post a picture of your current kitchen to give a better idea of the space and your cabinets...you are keeping the cabinets, correct? Also, maybe post a picture of a kitchen that appeals to you, so people have an idea what is beautiful in your eyes.

• suzanne_sl
    hace 6 años

Quartz is probably more "modern" than whatever you have in there now. The edge you choose should complement your cabinetry. We have off-white shaker cabinets and went with a simple eased edge. If you have more traditional cabinetry, you might want to look at an ogee edge. It's really important that your cabinets be level. Talk to your fabricator about that and ask what the plan is if the they turn out to be a bit wonky. Winging it on Installation Day is not a plan. Does your island have an overhang for seating? If so, discuss how that overhang is going to be supported.

Sinks are a whole separate subject. Yes on undermount! I'm a big fan of choosing a sink that fits the way you use a kitchen. Have you read the single vs double sink wars? People are very divided into camps on this. If you don't know which camp you're in, read some of the sink threads and you'll find yourself nodding and saying, "Yes, that's how I feel about it!" The same is true for sink material - stainless, porcelain, other. I prefer stainless, but many people freak out about water spots (whaat?). Don't ignore your own primitive reaction to these issues. Choose accordingly,

Your sink needs to fit into your current sink base, so there is your one limiting factor. Generally speaking your new sink should be 3" shorter than your current base. That can be fudged a bit if absolutely necessary, but better/easier not too. There are good choices in most sizes, so look by size. Your fabricator may offer a sink as part of the deal. Read up on choices before Tuesday so you'll know if you like what's on offer or really want something else - could go either way.

Post some photos of your "before." It helps for more specific advice.

• bfogg1253
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Thank you. I have attached a link to a photo of our dark, tiny kitchen.

We have an tract styled, L-shaped kitchen and a 77" island, we are keeping the cherry cabinets, even though they are very dark. We are considering painting the island base to help lighten the feeling. We are retired so we are on a budget, hopefully we can do all of this for around 8K. There are 10' ceilings which helps keep it open.

The entire house is tiles in a gold with gray accent (which cannot be changed)

Our Kitchen

I have a hard time finding a kitchen with cherry cabinets that are not too traditional, we would like to stay away and go with something fun, different and stylish.

Our style is ecletic - nothing matches in our house. Our house has a global feeling, with a lot of African art from our many years of travel there.

This is a sample kitchen with a darker Calacutta,

We found a quartz Calacutta which has a lot of white, grey and more golds , We are thinking of either a soft cement backsplash [(Geometric Idea)[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/chestnut-street-traditional-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~12271070). Or, herringbone subway, in glass, to help with reflection of light.

Thank you for the help with this project.

Bonnie

• bfogg1253
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Here is the quartz that caught our eye. Calacutta

• alex9179
    hace 6 años

Gosh, Bonnie. I think that your kitchen looks great. I'd go for the new light fixtures, paint, sink, and faucet. Not because it looks like you should but because those are easier and impactful changes. The granite is fine from your pics. Why do you want quartz? I'm renovating and curious. Since you're changing, go for a simple eased edge. Less worry about chipping and less inclined to be dated.

I noticed your window treatment right away. Lovely! Blue and green accents would be great with your cabinets.

• House Vixen
    hace 6 años

Hi Bonnie --

I agree, your kitchen looks like many "After" shots!

That said, it aside from your window treatment it doesn't really say "fun, stylish, different, global, eclectic" so I can see how it may feel like you're living in someone else's kitchen.

Trend-wise several things jump out at me:

• (this is tough for we smaller kitchen owners) uppers and/or solid panel doors are seen as rather stodgy; it's no upppers, as many glass fronts as possible, plus/minus open shelving
    • ventilation has moved way beyond OTR microwaves (a good thing, and one I'm personally addressing) and in many kitchens is even flaunted via chimney hoods
    • backsplash/counter combos may still be white-on-white, but the tile is often handmade or machine-made + hand-glazed
    • bolder backsplashes like the cement one you included grab a lot of notice in the media
    • the dark lowers/lighter uppers seem a steady favorite
    • large-scale pendant lights (borrowing from vintage industrial)

Some ideas...

1. I'd definitely improve your ventilation situation and find another spot for the micro, even if you prefer a more tucked-away solution for the vent vs a chimney style
    2. IF you can stand to lose some uppers, I think that would really help loosen up the look. Chimney hood + uppers flanking - cab over micro = smallest change; chimney hood + uppers flanking - upper cab to left of sink = medium change; chimney hood + a row or two of shelves is more intense.
    3. If you can't see losing any uppers, consider if you can switch out to glass wherever possible (semi-obscure is better than nothing and helps hide the non-glam!)
    4. If ya gotta keep upper cabs as-is...consider painting the uppers. Doesn't have to be white...if you go with a patterned backsplash tile, it could be a shade you pull from that. Personally as far as lighter tones, I love your shade of cabs with grey-blues and green-greys

Below, a few loose "inspiration" kitchens that I associate with the goals you've stated....

• michoumonster
    hace 6 años

you have a lovely and warm kitchen! if you want to modernize it a bit, i would go for more simple lines. Go with an eased edge on the counter. If in the budget, use the same countertop material for a slab backsplash. I would also consider removing the moldings on the cabinets as it gives it a traditional feel. And perhaps removing the window valance and blinds and keep the window plain there. I bet just new faucet and lighting would also make a huge impact! would love to see a shelf or some space for your african art in the kitchen too! enjoy the makeover process!

• 3katz4me
    hace 6 años

Wow - I thought maybe you linked to the wrong photo. That kitchen looks lovely and is neither tiny nor dark. It sounds like you are most interested in getting something that is popular in 2017 and perhaps think what you have now is dated. If that's the case beware that if you pick what's currently in style it will likely be out of style in the future.

• Love stone homes
    hace 6 años

Awesome kitchen as it is, just so warm and inviting!

• House Vixen
    hace 6 años

Hi again --

Know folks love to scan vs click a link, but of course Houzz is being problematic with images right now. Here's a screenshot of the photo you shared:

BONNIE'S CURRENT KITCHEN

...and below is a lovely bungalow renovation I found to help you visualize what adding glass fronts might do.

[Also note ventilation and position of micro]

• bfogg1253
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you I was unable to upload even a small file of my kitchen. Thanks! Bonnie

• aprilneverends
    hace 6 años

that tiles are fabulous House Vixen..we were vehemently told by our GC to keep away from the tiles (which we considered) since well they are harder to work on, and many dislike them(resale concern)..(same thing happened with butcherblock I really wanted-both GC and cabinetmaker persuaded us not to do that. so Quartz it is..)

But, depending on the region, house style, etc-that might be an interesting choice for a smaller place with darker cabinets.

• aprilneverends
    hace 6 años

(ah if you're into trends-2017 is almost gone..check the next big thing or at least 2018...))

just keep in mind. your biggest surfaces stay-floor and cabinets. whatever you do should make sense a) with them b) the rest of the house

• cpartist
    hace 6 años

Honestly your kitchen looks fine. Also if you are not changing your backsplash then I wouldn't change your counter tops.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    hace 6 años

Yes on quartz, yes on undermount sink and look for a faucet that only has 1 hole. Less to clean around.

• bfogg1253
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you everyone for your help. We are moving forward with our ideas. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

Bonnie

• PRO
    Master Blinds
    hace 6 años

Quartz should be considered. It will look simply best.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.