Houzz Logo Print
christina_marcet

Awkward corner fireplace! How to plan around it in an MCM living room

Christina Marcet
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Hi Houzz friends! Just bought a 1942 house in San Francisco with a fireplace in a strange location -- off to the corner, opposite a window and next to a hall doorway in the living room. The living room faces north and gets no direct sunlight, but the window is quite large. We want to get mid-century modern furniture.

Here are the dimensions.

The peaked ceiling is 8 feet tall at its lowest point. We're going to knock down the wall to the right (below) to create an open plan concept, so the kitchen and dining area will be visible.

Here's how one neighbor with a transitional look did it -- is this really the only open to help the room feel open?

Thanks in advance! Note: We're not putting a TV in this room.

Comentarios (5)

• palimpsest
    hace 6 años

Offset fireplaces aren't really planned to be main focal points or centers of furniture arrangement for all of the furniture in the room. Particularly if you are going to use midcentury furniture, you can ignore the fireplace to some extent. Not completely but you don't have to center the room on it.

• Christina Marcet
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I agree -- no good way to center furniture around it. I'd like to be able to *incorporate* it, rather than just ignore it like an elephant in the room. :) And that's where I'm left with few ideas.

• suzyq53
    hace 6 años

Can you convert it to a gas insert? Then you wouldn't need the hearth and you could remodel and tile the fireplace.

• PRO
    Jill J. Wallace, Color Redesign
    hace 6 años

A medium wall color that will help the ceiling pop, like your neighbors, will help meld in the angle wall of the fireplace. Look into painting the tiles around the fireplace a charcoal or dark bronze.

• bpath
    hace 6 años

I love fireplaces, they are like background music or artwork. People don't gaze into them for interest (well, not for long) but they are a lovely background visual noise for conversation and reading. It doesn't have to be a focal point.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.