Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_norris5439

Powder room artwork help!

Rebecca Norris
hace 6 años

I need some kind of artwork over the toilet in my powder room. I want it to tie in the dark walls and the brushed brass and marbel floors. I like a mix of traditional and modern... but feel like the artwork will have a huge impact. And not sure what shape art because of the tall rectangular mirror. Thanks!!

Comentarios (38)

• acm
    hace 6 años

I'd look for something you like, with saturated colors to stand up to the drama of the room. Could be one picture on the order of 75% the height of the mirror, or two smaller pieces stacked.

• timberledge
    hace 6 años

What a great suggestion! Love the colors. The subject matter can be anything. The colors are key. I'm leaning towards the two smaller pieces.

• hollywaterfall
    hace 6 años

A place picture or something jungle-themed or regal-themed. For instance I wouldn't do flowers, but maybe a fern or a leopard or something. Maybe something with gold or silver in it.

• rnonwheels
    hace 6 años

Because of the framed mirror and the sconces having big impact I think the back of the commode or the entire back wall would benefit from a painted stencil art. It won't compete, rather it would complete. The ideas below shoe that, not exactly the stecil you might pick but a general idea.

Powder Room · Más información

Kathy Peterson Stencil Line- Vines Stencil · Más información

Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · Más información

All About Stencils · Más información

• Rina
    hace 6 años

I like Acm's poppiies, but I also think the leopard is very cool.

• PRO
    Verona Home Design
    hace 6 años

ACM's photo idea is the best, your room would look great with a colorful painting to brighten up the room!

• everdebz
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Seeing rnonwheel's point - the rich paint, the delicate elegant lines of lighting.... art doesn't 100% seem necessary. Maybe a throw rug that's artsy would be a try.

3'x3' Round Dark Brown Red Azalea Area Rug by Loloi · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 6 años

When you find something you love, it'll be nice over toilet...something not necessarily rectangular.

Loloi Rug, Dark Brown/Multi, 3'x3' Round · Más información

• PRO
    Chameleon Interiors
    hace 6 años

Hi Forget the art and be bold, get a mock stags head in a bold colour!

• PRO
    Chameleon Interiors
    hace 6 años

Like this!

• capeanner
    hace 6 años

I vote for the stencil idea using a metallic paint in a dull gold/brass color .Stencil is a great way to achieve the effect of wallpaper while incorporating your beautifully deep paint shade.

• C AS
    hace 6 años

I have used wallpaper samples (of very expensive and glorious wallpaper); 4 samples in a similar sized space that you seem to have (A4 size in the UK) - simple black frames (but you could use metallic). The beauty is, when you get bored with the look, get 4 more samples ... I have used 4 random samples from different parts of the same wallpaper which was very pretty but more effective was 4 samples that 'go' together i.e. the wallpaper is continuous (although the gaps between frames need to be taken into account) - your eye will automatically fill in the missing pattern! I bought another expensive wallpaper for this, but as a discounted bin end, you could also use a damaged roll as these are often hugely discounted instead.

• McKenzie Gillette
    hace 6 años

I think this would be kind of pretty. It might be a little big.. but it has all your colors. click here: [wall decor[(https://www.houzz.com/products/stratton-home-decor-floral-acrylic-bursts-wall-decor-prvw-vr~82928940)

• molldoll2
    hace 6 años

Avoid anything rectangular as it would look odd with the mirror. I love the photos of a flower where the light shines through. Elegant looking.

• heelznbarbellz
    hace 6 años

I had a water color picture of a naked woman with a towel draped around her back which looked great behind the toilet. I recently changed my décor from formal to more of a farmhouse feel. Now there is a white wooden piece with gray writing, "Follow Your Dreams". Both look great and I have received a lot of compliments.

• dietribe
    hace 6 años

OP, I love your powder room! Very elegant and dramatic. The floor is gorgeous. I also think the two stacked pictures would be effective and interesting. If you didn't want too much color, maybe a pair of architectural renderings? Lots of good ideas at RH (Restoration Hardware.) The stencil idea in subtle metallic paint would also look great.

• hubcatz
    hace 6 años

Your bathroom is stunning! Where you have such a deep color and bold accessories such as the brass, tiled floor and beveled mirror, I'd suggest one large frame (or two small frames, one above the other) of a graceful botanical print to balance the bold. Perhaps find a frame(s) similar to or complementary to the mirror. Local craft stores can help here for ideas and cost-savings. I found beautiful botanicals at a flea mkt in NYC, and also on eBay. Have fun!

• hubcatz
    hace 6 años

By the way, what's the paint color? Love it!

• Lailani Dawn
    hace 6 años
    I would do a mix of small and medium print similar to these and hang with clamps or super thin frames. I also saw some great floral wallpaper ideas on Pinterest that are actually very stunning on dark walls
  • Mary Farmer
    hace 6 años
    Look at www.maryfarmer.com. Some fab encaustic paintings won't be harmed by anynmoisture
  • michele shari
    hace 6 años

beautiful room. I just had the issue with a half bath in my office that I totally redid. I actually had 2 large old (110 years) magazine pages that were in pastel type colors of women in beautiful period clothing-I chose to use these as we joked it was the "Ladies' Room" and had them reframed with raw silk matting and wide wood frames. They are not so bold as to detract from the other elements but have enough color to be interesting. You may also want to consider some nice smaller shelves and put interesting shells and perfume bottles or glass work on them. Go to arts and crafts fairs and see if something unconventional grabs your attention. In another bathroom I did a large scene with 2 birds made out of copper that I found at an arts and crafts fair for around $200. Copper may look great with the dark colors in the room and bounce more light. Something square may compete with the big, bold, beautiful mirror. Break up the space over the toilet.

• cheryld12903
    hace 6 años

I would not stencil, too much could go wrong in a powder room that is almost done. If she wanted that, she could have wallpapered. Personally, I would put in crown molding painted white and have several photos, of whatever you like in black and white with gold frames. Hang in odd places all around.

• Melissa Gallagher
    hace 6 años
    I would change the faucets to brass
  • Rebecca Norris
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you everyone. I realized these pictures were distorted a bit. Here are two more I hope look better. I like the two framed pictures stacked but the poppies aren't really my style. I like stencils/wallpaper, but decided against it. So I am going to stick with artwork that will kind of pull it together. I would love some type of vintage round rug... but haven't found anything small enough... I really appreciate all your input! Amazing community!

• Melissa Gallagher
    hace 6 años
    I have some vacation photos of architecture that I would do in black and white or sepia and with white mats frame them. I think something like this would be cool in your bathroom
  • wmsimons85
    hace 6 años

Beautiful powder room, love it! I also love Melissa's photos. I also think perhaps some black and white framed drawings would look nice to keep the monochromatic scheme you have if you wanted no "pops" of color.

The below is just from doing a very quick search.

• Rebecca Norris
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

You all don't think the art should have some color to kind of pulll it together?? I feel like it's a little two bland...

• wmsimons85
    hace 6 años

Yes, if you like color it would look great in my opinion. I somehow thought you wanted it monochromatic and no pops of color. But with what you have as a base you can pretty much go for whatever you love.

• PRO
    Rhonda Kieson Designs
    hace 6 años

Google Karen Musmeci, Artist, and view the images. The one pictured here is monochromatic but it is framed rather dramatically. She has many delightful pieces that are very colorful.

• wmsimons85
    hace 6 años

Again just another very quick search. Noticed your lovely teal pocket door. If you don't want monochromatic. :)

• Rebecca Norris
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

It's not a teal door hah. Weird camera pic. It's normal white door.

• wmsimons85
    hace 6 años

Oh well that searching for teal, a waste of time. :)))

• PRO
    FrameWorx
    hace 6 años
    C.O.L.O.R. - yes! Two square (or round) stacked art pieces work. Just make sure that you select something you LOVE... your new powder room is too nice for just anything. Original art, uniquely framed print art, your own photos enlarged and printed on canvas/aluminum/acrylic, textile or 3-d pieces... all possibilities.
    What's your favorite color? Your budget? I'd love to help you with your art search. *It's what I do. Contact me if you haven't found anything yet. ~Maria
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 6 años

• maureenaa
    hace 6 años

Really like your powder room and all the thought that went into making it so special. We had a similar problem of what to do with the area above the toilet. Our powder room layout is a bit different but decided to do a floating shelf above the toilet.

Over the years we have collected many interesting pieces of art during our many travels. The floating shelf allows a change of items as the mood strikes.

Here are a few examples. Good luck with whatever you choose.

BTW I use Command Strips to hang things on the wall. Work great.

• anne_estes027
    hace 6 años

The room is pretty formal, I'd look for architecture prints of Paris or New York or ...

Or look for prints of artists's work that blend with your location, like Winslow Homer, Andrew Wyeth or Edward Hopper. Moody but with some color.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.