mdame_61270

Ugly old house siding needs replacement

mdame_61270
hace 6 años

My house is a functional old two family built around 1900 is desperate need of a facelift. The windows are not evenly placed making the redo a bit more challenging. Any advice would be extremely appreciated. Have spent a ton of time trying to figure out this out without success!!

Comentarios (15)

• Tanya H
    hace 6 años
    You're right about the windows being off! I think that's your biggest challenge. Is there any room in your budget to rework a few windows? The first thing I would focus on is a solution for the top windows where the shutters are touching.

If that's out of the question, I'd do vinyl board and batten with vinyl cedar shake in the peak in a contrasting colour. Switch out the gable vent for a larger one and maybe plant a tree or tall shrub to the right of the door for balance. Good luck!
    mdame_61270 agradeció a Tanya H
  • PRO
    D & L Home Improvement
    hace 6 años
    The corner boards should be larger and a contrasting color. Add a frieze board above the upper windows.

Sorry I meant lose the shutters.
    mdame_61270 agradeció a D & L Home Improvement
  • PRO
    D & L Home Improvement
    hace 6 años
    The original trim detail may still be behind the vinyl siding. You may consider getting rid of the vinyl siding and repainting the original siding instead.
    mdame_61270 agradeció a D & L Home Improvement
  • Diane
    hace 6 años
    We did a 1890s folk Victorian and when the aluminum siding was removed we found all the original trim including beautiful dental molding in perfect condition. As to the windows and doors to balance this home you need a porch or at least coverage over the front door. These homes are so rewarding to do.
    mdame_61270 agradeció a Diane
  • felizlady
    hace 6 años
    The upper windows are vertically placed over the lower windows and door, but not evenly spaced horizontally. The shutters accentuate the mismatch.
    A tree planted halfway between the house and the sidewalk on the windowless side would help fill that bare spot. I would not center the tree on that wall...closer to the side of the house would look less "staged".....OR
    Another idea would be to have a porch built to cover the doorway and the bare side, with a roof and porch railing. Take a look at "small covered porches" on Houzz.
    mdame_61270 agradeció a felizlady
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 6 años

Time for a little selective demolition/disassembly to see what kind of shape the original fabric is in.

mdame_61270 agradeció a Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • User
    hace 6 años

That needs a restoration, not more remuddling. Unwrap that plastic off of that Twinkie and get busy making it like it used to be.

mdame_61270 agradeció a User
  • chiflipper
    hace 6 años

What Sophie and D&L said!!! That original narrow siding is wonderful, please don't cover it with inferior vinyl.

mdame_61270 agradeció a chiflipper
  • qam999
    hace 6 años

If you'd be willing to consider adding the windows (1 upper, 1 lower) in the area where they seem to be missing, it would do wonders for the facade and presumably for the interior as well. I'm 98% sure such windows existed at 1 point, and as others hint, a bit of demo may show you the needed headers already in position.

I'd just remove shutters altogether as they don't fit. Window trim and especially door trim could use beefing up. A small shed roof portico over front door would be functional and attractive.

BTW, I don't see why the siding is ugly. It's just authentic old wood siding. (Now if it's rotting or molding or termite-eaten or desperately needs insulation or Tyvek, that's another story. I'm assuming you've surveyed for such concerns already.) The appearance issues you see cannot be blamed on the siding, at all. If your house got the following, it would look fabulous:

* New additional windows on right hand side (1 upper, 1 lower)

* Remove shutters

* Beef up door trim

* New door more in keeping with original farmhouse style (or at least put plain glass in existing door and paint door an accent color)

* New paint job (either w pure simple white, or perhaps Craftsman colors

* Improved lighting at door

* Refreshed landscaping

* OPTIONAL: Shed portico over front door

And you can save the money that would have been used to replace the siding. Beautiful house already IMO.

mdame_61270 agradeció a qam999
  • katinparadise
    hace 6 años

I agree that the shutters don't work and just accentuate the window situation. I would remove them, add a portico over the front door to alleviate the flatness of the facade, plant a tree as suggested and lower the lights so they're not higher than the front door. Is this the original siding on the house or vinyl or aluminum that needs replacing?

mdame_61270 agradeció a katinparadise
  • ptreckel
    hace 6 años
    I suspect that beneath the siding you will have answers to your questions. I believe that the gable siding is covering up a larger vent or even a window with interesting trim. Perhaps, too, ornamental (fishscale?) siding. I suspect that the blank space to the right of your front door and the upper window will reveal small windows, too. The extension on the left might need a new window for balance and interest. The lack of sizeable trim on the home indicates that this has been resided. Adding appropriate window trim will enhance the facade without the need for shutters.
    mdame_61270 agradeció a ptreckel
  • Usuario de Houzz-815642275
    hace 5 años

Remove that plastic second skin, PLEASE!!! Your house's original, old growth , REAL WOOD siding is superior to any of the artificial products available today. You will increase your curb appeal 1000 times over, and increase the value. We are currently removing the disgusting aluminum siding from our 1890's house and you wouldn't believe the beautiful details that were lurking beneath that tin can siding!! It is easy, only requires the investment of your elbow grease, and will add value to your historical home!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 5 años

HU:

You're also undoubtedly exposing the lead based paint covering that original old growth siding. Lead makes for superior paint, unfortunately it's quite toxic and illegal now. Its removal is highly regulated and expensive.

I'm all for keeping and restoring our nation's historic fabric, however, homeowners need to know that it's a lot more comprehensive than unzipping a tin can.

• PRO
    D & L Home Improvement
    hace 5 años
    Lead is a concern... Whether or not the siding is removed. I'm sure the soil around the foundation is contaminated with lead. Doing anything with the soil has a risk of lead exposure. As the homes owner, one has the ability to do the work without regulation with regard to lead training. Following the proper lead safety requirements is always Paramount.
    As always follow the proper lead protocol. And there is a lot of savings in DIY elbow grease.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.