Houzz Logo Print
mjingli

Which direction for herringbone floor?

mjingli
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

I'm struggling with which direction to put the herringbone tile. When you approach the bathroom, all you see is the vanity, so my first instinct would be to have the herringbone lead you into the room.

But the floor space is slightly more rectangular to the eye because of the vanity and toilet, so should the herringbone point towards the shower? (the room dimensions are correct, but the vanity, toilet, and 4 x 12 tiles are not to scale)

Which one should I go with?

Comentarios (24)

• PRO
    M&M Interiors
    hace 6 años

I would definitely go with the first illustration so the herringbone leads you into the room. Good luck!

• Lee Ann
    hace 6 años

I agree, #1!

Love herringbone. Good choice :)

• PRO
    User
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

You only have a small 3'x 5' open space in your bath. The scale of a 4"x12" tile will be too large for your space, and the length to width ratio is off for a herringbone pattern. You need a much smaller tile in order to appreciate the pattern choice, and the tile needs to be twice as long as it is wide for a herringbone. Like the classic 3x6 subways that you see used in showers.

And the second pattern makes the room seem larger. But only if you use the right scale tile.

• woodteam5
    hace 6 años

I like the second pattern, I agree that it makes the room seem larger.

• PRO
    European Marble & Granite
    hace 6 años

The second pattern will definitely make the room feel larger! I always tell my clients to picture a person wearing vertical stripes verses horizontal stripes. Vertical stripes make you look taller which is good for a person but bad for a long room.

• PRO
    21st Century Tile
    hace 6 años

I would go with option #2. I agree that it will make the space seem larger.

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    hace 6 años

The 1st one. It really does seem to lead you in.

• PRO
    Urban Loft Window Treatments
    hace 6 años

#1 is the way to go! its will be awesome!

• PRO
    Carrell Design And Staging
    hace 6 años
    Cook's Kitchen is right. Totally agree with her. It doesn't matter wether the tile "leads" you into the room; you're bath is small and option 2 makes it look bigger. That's what you probably want -- a larger looking room.
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    hace 6 años

I like option #1

• PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    hace 6 años

I love the first option!

• PRO
    Frenchs Cabinet Gallery llc
    hace 6 años

I would definitely go with first picture....much more inviting

• PRO
    Verona Home Design
    hace 6 años

Direction one for sure.

• Patrick Minoofar
    hace 4 años
    I would just like to say I came here to get answers and it has made my decision even more difficult I have the same problem and my bathroom looks just like the one in the photo below or above I guess.
  • ClemsonFan Suzy
    hace 4 años

Patrick: I sympathize with your dilemma. receiving lots of advice, some of which is contradictory can be confusing, But the responders just give their opinion, and opinions vary. In the end, it’s what you like best that matters.

On a practical note, you could try creating a full size sketch that you actually lay down on the floor. Actually seeing a facsimile might help you decide. That’s a lot of effort, but you’ll be looking at your choice for a long time.

• Patrick Minoofar
    hace 4 años
    Dear Tiger, I was joking... oh and I did option one because my bathroom is like the photo that was later uploaded by someone and there is no right or wrong answer bc they are both gorgeous! I just like mine pointing to my vanity
  • ClemsonFan Suzy
    hace 4 años

Got it!

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

# 1. It guides you into the room. Upon entering from the doorway, the flow for the eye continues in a forward direction and creates a smooth transition into the space.

• Mariam Shadi
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

@The Cook's kitchen, can the wooden look tile size of 47x 7 or 39 x 10 inches be arranged in a herringbone layout in a 12 x 15.5 feet kitchen?

And what do you think of this diagonally oriented layout, rather than vertical or horizontal?

• Mariam Shadi
    hace 3 años

• PRO
    Altair
    hace 3 años

I feel like #1 gives me the vibes of the room being a little bigger.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 3 años

post is years old.

• Usuario de Houzz-901935350
    el último año

Option 2 . This way it looks more like flooring rather than being directed in to a room .

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.