Houzz Logo Print
fizzymartini

POLL: kitchen bar vs. open plan?

fizzymartini
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Endless debate in my head still not ended after these lovely renderings were done. I'm curious and would love your weigh-in. Given that in option 2, I will likely not be able to afford the additional kidney-bean bar, which of these options would you prefer and why? (There is not enough width for a peninsular, which would have been a happy halfway-house).

Thanks in advance!

Option 1: Kitchen Bar
Option 2: Open Plan

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    Kluk Construction Ltd
    hace 6 años

Hard one!

• A S
    hace 6 años
    I like the idea presented above; the kitchen bar option makes the sink/hob area feel extremely constricted and tight in my opinion- opening it up slightly creates the illusion of more space and open-ness whilst providing the much needed storage.

All the best!
    fizzymartini agradeció a A S
  • fizzymartini
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you for your suggestions. Opening the bar up slightly would certainly be ideal (it's the "peninsula" I mentioned). The issue with opening it up is that the width isn't quite enough to make it look good, or be substantial. Here's an example from another flat in the block:

• PRO
    DIY Kitchens
    hace 6 años

The open plan kitchen feels more spacious, it would feel a little
    cramped with the breakfast bar.

If you are looking for a little kitchen inspiration then
    there are over 1000 kitchens that our customers have fitted here - http://www.diy-kitchens.com/customer-reviews/

fizzymartini agradeció a DIY Kitchens
  • minnie101
    hace 6 años

What does the unseen part of the kitchen look like? Do you have a floor plan? If you went open plan could you use where the entrance door is for more storage?

• fizzymartini
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Thanks Minnie. Here is the floorplan of the entire flat. The kitchen is in the top half, where I've blocked in the "open plan" units. The cupboard (where the fridge is) is structural so cannot be removed.

• jamiethepony
    hace 6 años
    I'd go with open plan and consider a free standing breakfast bar by the window.
    fizzymartini agradeció a jamiethepony
  • minnie101
    hace 6 años

Closing off the door doesn't really help then! I like both designs. It is a tough one! I think I'd go with the breakfast bar, it looks very contemporary rather than 70's and gives you the extra storage and worktop plus more space for stools. I would lose the drainer and have shelves in the unused part of the cupboard. I know it might appear annoying having to walk round out of the door but is it any different to walking round an island really plus it means people can't get in your way in the kitchen!

fizzymartini agradeció a minnie101
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.