Houzz Logo Print
belinda_frost

new air conditioner failed after two months of use

Belinda Frost
hace 6 años

I bought a home in the beginning of 2017. The home was supposed to have a brand new AC unit. the home was flipped. the neighbors told me that the home did not have AC before the flipper bought it. Two months after using the AC, it no longer works. It is not the thermostat or breaker. I have checked those things. I finally looked at the serial number on the unit, and it says the unit was made in 2012. Did the flipper lie? Is it possible the homeowner bought a new 2012 that just quit working or did the flipper buy a used unit and just lied on the listing? What is most probable? Super mad and hot (90 degrees in my home now) The home was supposed to also have new windows. It does, but the windows leak horribly. I have also had major plumbing problems even though the home had "all new pipes."

Comentarios (8)

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

The listing can sometimes show or at least give subtle clues as to if the house is a flipper. The problem in today's world, is that you can't take the word of someone else that stands to gain. Why someone would lie about things like this clearly shows they probably have experience in doing it before and have come to realize the euphoria surrounding a new home purchase.

As an example of what I mean: A home is typically bought on 'looks' and location. Home size and location are other factors, but at the end of the day 'looks' sell a home. People don't spend the time they should on infrastructure related things because they are boring. Think things like plumbing, AC, electrical panel, windows and so on. They get the one glance and that's about it.

If they say 'new plumbing pipes' you take their word for it and because 'plumbing pipes' are boring you don't think twice about it. In the plumbing pipe department there are potential 4 different types of material used each with it's set of pro's and cons. Cast Iron galvanized pipe, copper, CPVC, and in many cases today PEX.

In my experience copper with soldered joints is by far the best for plumbing. (Notice I said soldered joints... another boring detail that means everything.

As far as air conditioning is concerned... it's a costly endeavor just to replace AC, if the house didn't have AC before the fact it's even worse cost wise... think line set and electrical run etc.

It's unlikely it's a 'normal' run of the mill 'used' unit. No one replaces a 5 year old AC unit without good reason. The equipment I most commonly change out is best suited for the metal scrap yard.

My suspicion is this: The flipper lived in a 4 or 5 year old house... he spent money upgrading the system at his house then took the unit at his house and had it installed at this house. The other likely scenario is that the unit was stolen.

People just don't replace 5 year old AC units.

Details, Details, Details.

With that said, it's just a house... and anything can be fixed.

What you learn from this purchase will last you a life time.

• mike_home
    hace 6 años

The flipper may have bought a condenser that was originally bought by someone else but never used. If it was not properly stored it may have contamination problems. It may have been installed by a tech doing a side job without his company's knowledge and approval. There are likely installation problems.

• sktn77a
    hace 6 años

Some HVAC liquidators have older equipment - usually 2-3 years old but sometimes older ("NOS" - New Old Stock). Flippers will use the absolute cheapest source for any parts or materials they can find. All they care about is the profit they make.

The failure is most likely due to bad installation - again, flippers will use the cheapest bottom feeder they can find to install the equipment.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    hace 6 años

Take the serial number of the unit and go to the manufacture website to see what / when the warranty ran out on it. This might give you clues if the unit had been installed previously at a different address, as moving it from one location to another will void the warranty.

The idea is to try and find information about it. If you can prove things were not right as stated by previous owner, then assemble this information and take your flipper to court.

• klem1
    hace 6 años

The factory might have made a mistake and put an old tag on a new unit. Maybe someone removed new unit that flipper installed and replaced it with their old crappy unit. And then there's always the poss,,,,,,,,,,,.

• PRO
    Preferred Designing Services
    hace 6 años

As the old saying goes "buyer beware". I would document and photograph the issues. Do a history on the Heating/Air condition unit and take them to court and along with the documents to back your story. You were given a bill of goods under false pretenses.

• Vith
    hace 6 años

I am thinking mfg date and installed date are not related. A good practice is to label installation date when it was installed with a sharpie or other marking.

I agree take S/N to mfg and check warranty info.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.