Houzz Logo Print
alidolphin89

Kitchen/Diner Design

Ali Dolphin
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Hi

We will be shortly moving into a three bedroom house.

This will be our first renovation of this kind. We have a approached a kitchen company to look at replacing the current 'dated kitchen'.

There is an existing 'stud wall' (sorry for the dodgey line) between the lounge and kitchen currently which we are looking to take down and create a big kitchen/diner. The door you can see is the understairs cupboard door.

My wife wants a large table and either corner sofa or large sofa and a snug in the lounge but unsure of the layout.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ali

Comentarios (39)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 6 años
    Something along these lines might offer you good kitchen storage and workable space with good garden views from sofa and table

[marketing note : this is an example of our sketch consult service - normally chargeable at £35per hour -but happily given FOC to this Houzzer in this instance. See our pro page for more info on this and other freelance services ]
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 6 años
    Either keeping both tall cabinets here or moving the Double oven up to separate the perp and cooking zone - dependent on the look you like and how often you use the oven !
  • Gemma
    hace 6 años

I think the units on the other side of the island will probably not be used much, that being so you don't have a massive amount of work surface or storage.

Is the fridge next to the oven?

• LTS
    hace 6 años
    04:27 OnePlan??? :)
  • PRO
    1.61 London
    hace 6 años

Hi Ali - we are an interior designer but we also distribute German kitchens at exceptional prices. So if you are looking to do some work and also want a kitchen it would be worth giving us a call on 02074939839 and im sure we can help. We will take care of all the building work and design work if you require us to as well. I know our website looks very high end but our kitchen offering can be very basic or very luxurious and is all shipped from Germany ready to slot in.

www.161london.com

Ali Dolphin agradeció a 1.61 London
  • Ali Dolphin
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks for the comments. Just looking for additional ideas on what we could do differently to the existing design to maximise the space but also how we can add a table and sofa into the lounge.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 6 años
    @LTS - the joys of being a global designer, needed to be up early to chat to clients over other side of planet !! I draw the line at FaceTime at that time of the morning - no one wants / needs to see me until at least 11am !!!
  • PRO
    1.61 London
    hace 6 años

Hi Ali - understood no problem. Best way to help would be for us to get things on CAD which we offer as part of our kitchen order process. So if you haven't finalised the kitchen yet we would help with the layout and obviously the kitchen order itself. We have a kitchen showroom in london we could show you various options. And then Leave the rest of the design to you. If that doesn't work for you we wish you luck with your refurbishment.

• Monica
    hace 6 años

I agree with OnePlan that you should switch the areas, a sofa overlooking the garden will be better than facing the island with the pots and pans after dinner.

• Ali Dolphin
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks, we are slightly reluctant to move the kitchen from its current position as this will make it more expensive.

We want a TV on the wall so having a sofa near a wall would help.

Thanks for your advice
    Ali
  • Monica
    hace 6 años

Damned be those budgets :( Good luck with your new home, exciting times :)

• Ali Dolphin
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I guess what I am trying to say is we don't want to waste money and regret it once in.
  • Monica
    hace 6 años

If that is the case I think you will absolutely regret not having the sitting area overlooking the garden. It makes so much more sense especially for family dinners and sit down entertaining. All your guests will see is the island and clutter associated with entertaining.

• LTS
    hace 6 años
    LOL too funny Karen!!!
  • Jonathan
    hace 6 años
    Ali- I think the first plan shown doesn't work because the working space in the kitchen is small but it has a big footprint. Plus the remaining space really doesn't accommodate a big sofa and a big dining table.... frankly something has to give.
    Personally I thought that Oneplans suggestion was brilliant. The sink was still in the kitchen area so this design shouldn't cost more than your original layout.
    Do you have an additional living room if so consider carver chairs at the dining table rather than a sofa in the room. These could double as comfy seating for watching a TV on the wall
  • tezz4
    hace 6 años

I agree that its a better plan to have the kitchen at the inner end of the area especially because the only internal entrance seems to be on that side. However l don't think the kitchen cupboarding should run the whole length of the space; it would look too dominant. Use the inner half of the wall opposite the door and that of the windows. You may need to scale down the size of your island.

Place an extending dining table across the width of the area just in the middle, more or less in front of the short door.

In your plans there is wasted space in the nook where you have placed the storage unit - a lounge area would be much more appropriate.

• Jonathan
    hace 6 años
    I think this is what Tez suggested.
    If you have no other living room then this does give you an appropriately sized living area for the house
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 6 años
    Hi - just to clarify - I sketched the sink still in the old kitchen area specifically to cut out extra plumbing costs - electric for induction hob and maybe some ducting for extractor fan - are the only things you'll need to put in to the other 'new' end. (Although adding electric sockets to your prep island would be useful if you are re doing the floor anyway !)
    Maybe you need to see it in 3D to get more of a feel for it ? We do that as a service too - or print my sketch and take it to the place you went to previously and ask if they will try that idea !
  • Ali Dolphin
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Here is what my talented wife drew out.

Jonathan we can't add it to the front of the house as the windows are too low to fit cabinets underneath.[

• Ali Dolphin
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Hi

we have had another plan drawn up based on comments above.

• A S
    hace 6 años
    Hi,

In my honest opinion, I think the space could be utilised better. I feel everything is slightly cramped and amidst that, your not left with much worktop space nor storage place.

Are you flexible in moving things and which fittings would have to stay as they are?

Also what are your main priorities for the room?
    Ali Dolphin agradeció a A S
  • Ali Dolphin
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Hi A.S.

Nothing is set in stone, so no.

With regards to priorities we would ideally like a modern kitchen with island and space to accommodate a dining table with sofa area in the lounge.

I have attached a current drawing/layout. We intend to knockdown the internal wall and add bifolds to the back.

• Claire Nicholson
    hace 6 años
    Have you thought about banquette seating for the dining table- it saves a lot of space and might give you a bit more flexibly.

I've seen a few lovely designs where the banquette seating backs onto the island.

Just a thought!

Best wishes,

Claire
  • A S
    hace 6 años
    I was thinking the exact same, maybe luxurious banquet seating could double up as lounge seating with added individual chairs to watch TV. This means you won't have to compromise on kitchen layout.

Do you have dimensions of the space. I can have a play around and see if I can get what you want in the space.

I understand how important it is go get the space right for you having gone through a massive renovation. It may be wise to get a concept planner on board who can give professional advice on multiple layouts to avoid future regrets.

All the best!
  • A S
    hace 6 años
    banquet seating at the back of an island would be a huge save which I haven't considered. This is one of the first images which I stumbled upon to give an idea.
  • Ali Dolphin
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Hi A.S

Please see attached dimensions

Thanks
    Ali
  • Ali Dolphin
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    There is also a layout of the entire space in the comment above.

I appreciate everyone's help and support
  • tezz4
    hace 6 años

The recent pics and ideas make more sense showing less cupboarding. The banquette concept fits in beautifully with this layout. I'm posting some pics just for inspiration.

• tezz4
    hace 6 años

• A S
    hace 6 años
    Found this image on Houzz. The layout is very similar to what you are proposing
  • tezz4
    hace 6 años

Well done AS

• Ali Dolphin
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Hi A.S.

Re: I can have a play around and see if I can get what you want in the space?

Do you have a visual idea of what we can expect?

Thanks
    Ali
  • Claire Nicholson
    hace 6 años

Hi Ali,

I know it's been suggested before but I really think you should consider employing a concept planner- it's only a few hundred pounds, which is a fraction of what you'll spend on your kitchen and for that you'll get 3D scale pictures and videos of walking around the space.

A good concept planner will also pass on their trade discounts, so in our case it didn't cost us a penny!

I'd be really nervous of making a big decision without a professional on board when you have a slightly less easy space / layout.

Just my thoughts having been through something very similar.

Best wishes,

Claire

• A S
    hace 6 años
    Hi,

Haven't had much of a chance to take a look but here is one alternative you could consider.

To note, I'm no interior/kitchen expert and am not trained in the relative fields of 3d drawings, simply doing it through interest, hence the low quality mock ups. (resolution of images is low as my laptop is not allowing me to upload them onto houzz, so taking camera images from screen).

The mock up is not exact but more or less the measurements you provided. The banquet seating shown would need to to be designed to measure and would need to be slightly more slim (I think Claire has posted images on another post of her seating which is a perfect example).

An alternative design would be to switch the banquet seating facing to the window (back to bifold) to create a more zoned lounge area.

Best Wishes
  • tezz4
    hace 6 años

House Extension · Más información
    Houzz posted this pic this morning. Looks similar to your required layout.

• A S
    hace 6 años
    Hi, came across this image nd thought it could work well in your space especially of you want to keep dining and kitchen towards the bifold area and living space towards the window end.
  • Ali Dolphin
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I posted this in another discussion but thought I would let everyone know what we have decided to go for the in the end.

I personally slightly regret not putting the kitchen in the Lounge but I guess for budgetary reasons and as this was my first renovation you learn from your mistakes.

• E D
    hace 6 años

Ah, I see. I've commented on your other thread.

Im sure it's going to be lovely but I share your reservations.

You can't say Houzzers haven't tried to advise you... Lol

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.