Houzz Logo Print
lcg1221

Kitchen Cabinet Trash Can Pull Out Paint Protection-advice needed!

lcg1221
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Hi all...this may seem relatively incidental but I know I can't be the o n l y person who deals with this annoying issue so I am asking/pleading...what do you do to protect the paint finish on that pesky edge of trash & recycle can pull outs??!

I have dealt with this excessively fast wear and tear on every trash can pullout, not just this recent set of cabinets...of which I just spent thousands of dollars on custom cabinets (factory finish/paint with protective sealant) that are less than 6 months old, and I am already seeing the beginning signs of wear looming : ((

On the cabinets we had before the remodel I applied a thin layer of clear latex poly coat, but it got gummy to the touch and started to collect imprints, looked even worse, and then eventually peeled off with the paint.

Sadly I can't contact the cabinetmaker for a solution because things ended badly so I am wondering if anyone has any insider tricks for this ridiculously high-use cabinet?

I really want to catch this before it gets super unsightly (maybe too late) but I can't find any helpful info online...not sure what exactly I am looking for maybe...but I was wondering if there is some kind of thin clear plastic film that I could apply or something of that nature??

Any-all ideas/information welcome...thanks in advance!

Here are some pics, hopefully you can see where the paint is chipping:

Here's the new cabinets and why i care so much:

Comentarios (12)

• wcjo
    hace 6 años

Go to a big box store, look for somebody who actually appears to want to be helpful, because "it" could be in any department. See if they have a clear or white u-shaped plastic piece that can fit over the top of the cabinet. If they don't, maybe the l-shaped protectors used on wall corners might work. Those have sticky stuff on inside edges. Or the cord covers in electrical to hide cords along walls or baseboards. You could cut to fit and replace it as needed. By the time you "teach" everyone the damage has already been done. It's a weird hack but why not try?

lcg1221 agradeció a wcjo
  • lcg1221
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you for taking the time to offer so many ideas!

• stephanied0wns
    hace 6 años

Hi! I know this is an old post, but I’m having the same problem. It’s possibly the most used cabinetry in he entire house there is going to be some wear and tear no matter how careful you are! We haven’t even been in the home for a month and it’s chipping. I randomly ran across a builder (Cardinal Crest Homes) on instagram who had an amazing solution. They add a spiece of stained wood at the top. I wish I could tag them on here but I’m uncertain how to. Hopefully this helps anyone one else that runs across this thread in search of a solution :)

• PRO
    Cabinet Hero Inc.
    hace 5 años

Update: now Cabinet Hero comes in 4 styles to fit the most common kitchen and bath cabinet door styles. www.cabinethero.com

• kathkoen
    hace 5 años
    Same problem. There are only two of us at home, older adults who are extremely careful. But, this gets the most wear and tear. I am checking out Cabinet Hero.
  • radpp16
    hace 2 años

Same issue here. Seems like cabinet hero is the way to go. I cleaned and touched up the whole edge with mohawk ultra mark marker.

• PRO
    Iron Key Designs LLC
    hace 2 años

There are stainless steel 3/4” edge covers to help keep it wipeable but protect /cover that top edge of cabinet.

• greenmini
    hace 2 años

Can you be specific about manufacturer, and where to obtain this? Thanks!

• Usuario de Houzz-173500418
    el último año

I was looking for something to cover the obnoxious lip of the cabinet, that dishes and corningware get dragged over. Home depot (and probably others) have "Alexandria Moulding 3/8 in. x 3/4 in. x 96 in. PVC Shelf Edging Moulding" that should work for drawer and cabinet door tops' protection. (Non-adhesive) Only in white.

I also ran across the cabinet hero website, they come in pre-sized sections, clear or black, but only in multi-packs (smallest is 4), and cost twice as much.

Check them both out and see what suits your needs.

For my needs, we'd need to trim one side down an 1/8". Can't believe that's not an already available product. The need is there. Cabinet lips get marred easily.

• Usuario de Houzz-677822955
    hace 3 meses

we have a brass plate sized to fit the top of the top edge that is seen only when open

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.