Houzz Logo Print
kayla_e_matthews

What kind of "home tech" are you interested in?

Kayla Matthews
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Have you considered using a smart thermostat? Some kind of connected appliance? There's so much home tech out there, I'd love to know what kinds of things people are actually interested in! Personally, I'd never buy a connected coffee pot, but is that something other people are curious about? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Comentarios (22)

• Emily H
    hace 6 años

We're pretty early adopters on most of this stuff. We've had a Nest thermostat since literally the week they came out. Then we added Nest smoke detectors (love them because they talk instead of screech) and many of our lights are Hue bulbs that we can manage from our phones or through....wait for it...our Amazon Echo. You could say we are on board. :)

• User
    hace 6 años

We are the opposite. I'm not upgrading to any of it because for us, the benefits don't out way the costs, or risks and concerns about hacking and loss of privacy. I like using technology for a lot of things but to run our house isn't one of them.

• Fun2BHere
    hace 6 años

I tend to want the most mechanical, least automated version for critical household items like thermostats and access points because I don't want to be reliant on a wifi signal or to deal with the attendant security risks. When it comes to non-critical systems like entertainment, I love to have the latest tech.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    hace 6 años

Same as lukk, we are not fans of the connected home. There is too great a loss in privacy for our taste.

• IdaClaire
    hace 6 años

Ditto for us. Don't care at all about having a high-tech, "connected" home. I'm connected enough during the workday. My home is a respite from that sort of thing.

• PRO
    Janet Paik
    hace 6 años

We love our Sonos speakers and have one in every room in our home. We also use the Amazon Echo in the bathroom to catch up on the news while getting ready for the day, and the Dot in our living room for playing songs for our kids on demand and checking the weather. We haven't explored upgrading to any smart appliances... yet.

• maddielee
    hace 6 años

I LOVE that I can now check my cellphone to double check that I put the garage door down.

• erinsean
    hace 6 años

The only thing we have is remotes to turn our lamps off and a few plugs that use switches on the wall....never thought I wanted more.

• lazy_gardens
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

USEFUL home tech I have not yet seen ...

A washing machine and dryer that can send you an IM over the house network when it has finished. That's all - nothing fancier needed.

A HVAC system that is periodically comparing indoor and outdoor temps and humidity and switching between treating the indoor air and bringing in outside air to minimize energy use - with whatever automatically opening and closing vents and louvers you would need.

ADDING: None of this can rely on the manufacturer's website, Internet connections, external servers or subscription accounts. It has to be self-contained or use only the local wireless.

• palimpsest
    hace 6 años

Not much as it currently stands. I am a late adopter to all.

• blubird
    hace 6 años

I am currently interested in acquiring a thermostat which I can remotely change from within my home network. The catch is that I don't want to have to sign into an app to do it, not do I want to change thermostat settings from outside my home, I just want to use my phone,iPad to change within my house. I also don't want a learning type...my thermos are located in places I don't pass by regularly.

The thermostat for my ac system is upstairs, and invariably when I'm downstairs someone wants it warmer or colder. That means I, or someone else, has to stop what they're doing and run upstairs. This could be several times during the day, depending on who else is in my home. Does such a thermostat exist? It would make for harmony and peace in my household.

• M Miller
    hace 6 años

My friend has a Nest and says it's a pain in the neck if you are not the kind of family to be on the same scedule each day because it learns your patterns of when you'll be home or not. But if you are always varying when you'll be home the Nest doesn't work as well. I am hoping our old Honeywell thermostat can keep going!

I am dying to get the Sonos speakers that Janet mentioned. It's on my list!

We have the LiftMaster garage opener with "MyQ" phone app that Maddielee mentioned. Where has this BEEN all my life? It's the best thing since sliced bread. I will never again ever say the words "Wait! Did I remember to close the garage door?!" (Usually on the way to the airport, or worse, on the plane)

• pippiep
    hace 6 años

Our house is so connected that when our device manager thingy wasn't working recently, I didn't know how to turn on the lights in some rooms!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    hace 6 años

No, none of it. If you know anyone in tech security they know that there is 0 security on any of this stuff and they shun it completely because of that. It's bad enough if people hack into your own system. I don't need my thermostat/toaster/coffee maker to be sending DNS attacks trying to bring down the web without my knowledge.

ETA Google products do have minor security, because google doesn't want anyone else collecting that data or they won't buy the story of your life from google.

• cawaps
    hace 6 años

Lazy_gardens, what you are asking for exists, at least for commercial HVAC systems. It's called an economizer. They aren't all all common in homes, though. I found a presentation with more info that you ever probably wanted to know: http://buildingretuning.pnnl.gov/training/economizers/PNWD-SA-8511%20HVAC%20Economizers%20101-Section%201.pdf

As for the original question, I don't even have a thermostat (don't have central heating or cooling). Home security/home video surveillance has come up a few times, after my upstairs neighbor was vandalized and also in the context of my punk neighbors and their car antics. My home is pretty low-tech, in general.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    hace 6 años

When we remodeled due to water damage from a broken pipe, we put in Ethernet plugs in many of the rooms. It was expensive and wifi appeared within a year or so - total waste of money.

What I AM looking forward to is my irrigation company replacing the control panel in the garage with one that can be controlled using my computer! Standing in the garage when the overhead light goes off, with a flashlight in one hand and glasses perched on my nose, to change a zone, is a royal pain. Can't wait!

• Angela Zuill
    hace 6 años

My husband is such a computer/tech nerd that our house is pretty connected. I don't at all like that the hue lights "should" be controlled from our phone's "home" app. I mostly still do it manually which drives him bonkers. I suppose it is nice that we can set the lights up for a certain on/off pattern when we are away. We have an Amazon Alexa- could live without that too. But I do love our sonos system so there is that.

• Beth
    hace 6 años

lazygardens asked for: A washing machine and dryer that can send you an IM over the house network when it has finished. That's all - nothing fancier needed.

I want a dryer that starts even when you forget to push the button. Oh, and even better, a washer that moves the clothes to the dryer for you.

We're facing the tech question now because we'll be building soon.

I'm pretty sure I want a programmable front door lock.

Our Nest never learned a pattern from us, because 1) we both work at home so don't have predictable schedules and 2) the thermostat is too high on the hall to notice when I walk by. I thought it was broken, but, no, I'm just short.

We've never had a "is the garage door closed?" capability but wouldn't object to it.

I won't spend extra for our smoke detectors to talk to our thermostat. We have no interaction besides batteries with our CO2 detector or smoke detectors. I don't need them to be smart--just to work.

I'm interested in being able to turn off all the lights at once but don't know that I care about mood settings.

I insist on being able to turn on the outside light from my car--DH programmed that for me so my 3rd HomeLink button in the car turns on the outside lights--I love that. It's even better than the motion sensitive light, because that didn't click in until I was already in the driveway.

(I've already got the tall dark and handsome part down)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    hace 6 años

My tv, stereo and computer are plenty to keep up with, that's enough. I have only recently started buying led lightbulbs.

• sealavender
    hace 6 años

I'd like to get an outdoor camera that would send images up from the front door which is one level down from the living space. I'm not sure how that would work without wiring, though. I have read mixed reviews on battery versions.

• PRO
    Aquantum Solar
    hace 6 años

I'd say if I were to invest in tech for the home, the first thing I'd get is : A. a solar panel system, to cash savings (and eventually, an income); B. amazon echo; C. a projector for movie nights. The projector, though not exactly high-tech, was an awesome ice breaker with our neighbors, and has become a focal point of our social life!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.