Houzz Logo Print
michele_wood84

Sink centered or not

Michele Wood
hace 6 años

Where would you put sink... To the left so a right handed person has counter space? Or centered? This is a bedroom full bath. (no my counter will not be red).

Comentarios (31)

• PRO
    Stocki Design LLC
    hace 6 años

Center it is, Michele! It brings good harmony to the counter space. Good luck!

Michele Wood agradeció a Stocki Design LLC
  • printesa
    hace 6 años

centered

Michele Wood agradeció a printesa
  • User
    hace 6 años

The center of the drain is required to be 15" from the wall, just like the center of the toilet is required to be 15" from any adjacent obstruction.

Michele Wood agradeció a User
  • flopsycat1
    hace 6 años

Centered. How much counter space do you need in a bathroom? Better to keep the countertop uncluttered.

Michele Wood agradeció a flopsycat1
  • minjeeah
    hace 6 años
    Centered.
    Michele Wood agradeció a minjeeah
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Symmetry is overrated. Be bold. And have useable space.

• lewsmom
    hace 6 años
    I like it to the left. The sink is the same size as the drawer space. It creates the symmetry vertically. Hope I explained that clearly.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

Center because these vessel sinks cause a lot of splashing so you want the splashing to hit the countertop. Sink is a bit too big for the base unit and not sure the height is going to be right. Is this a "done deal"?

• PRO
    Creative Remodeling Design Build
    hace 6 años

Agree with Flo, definitely have to center it, not only does it look better, but it helps with the splashing.

• auntthelma
    hace 6 años

Have to laugh at the almost even votes on both sides. Aren't you glad you asked?

My thought is, you will know when you read the comments how you were secretly hoping it would go. Follow your instincts.

• acm
    hace 6 años

agree with auntthelma, but also voting for the left. even a soap dispenser and a toothbrush holder and cup (all that stays out on my own counters) will need more than the back corners.

the answer will probably also depend a bit on your choice of mirror...

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

Haha! Yea, we all have our opinions. You will have to decide, but I would also say, consider how this bathroom and sink will be used. Guests only? Family? Kids? That will help you figure out best choice. Functionally, it needs to be centered, visually it can go either way because of the base cabinet, but if the mirror is centered, you probably should lean to the center. What is your gut saying?

• Michele Wood
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

My messy 12 yr old will be using it to brush teeth and wash hands which is why i thought extra space in right would guve him more room. My gut says center because left seems risky. But im still torn. Handman comes in an hour!!!

• Michele Wood
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

If i did left wohld i just put a slim mirror over the left??

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

No, you would need mirror that spans the top of the cabinet. You need to center this sink. Kid brushing teeth-case closed!

Michele Wood agradeció a Flo Mangan
  • printesa
    hace 6 años

ok, so probably not the best choice for the sink, but I think centered would have enough space,,You only need a toothbrush and soap dispenser..There is space for towel as well. Here are some vanities that are somewhat similar to your case.

Floating Feather · Más información

Wall Street Loft · Más información

207 Melrose Ave · Más información

Michele Wood agradeció a printesa
  • Porter Edun
    hace 6 años

Well, not to rain on the parade, but we have a vessel sink in our downstairs, "powder" room. It's a nightmare for just washing hands as water gets all over the place and down the sides of the bowl and around the base. I wouldn't recommend a vessel for a master as you wash your face (or shave?) daily and it's really nice to look at, but it's not extremely functional or easy to keep up. I love the way mine looks, but hate it when ppl use it as I know water is EVERY PLACE :( and it's not a small nor shallow sink!

Michele Wood agradeció a Porter Edun
  • acm
    hace 6 años

yeah, seems a terrible choice for a kid's bath, as they're messy to begin with and don't care. and this is going to end up so high. but this level of advice is probably Way Too Late if you're at the hole-cutting stage! good luck!

Michele Wood agradeció a acm
  • lefty47
    hace 6 años

HI -- Well this question has sure brought out a lot of opinions !! But now that the news of this going to be used mostly by a 12 year old , you need to re-think the vessel sink . It would be best to have an under mount sink . Or possibly a pedestal sink . I have never been a fan of vessel sinks ... they are interesting and look artful but are really only for a powder room at best .... but are not practical .

Michele Wood agradeció a lefty47
  • Michele Wood
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I appreciate everyone's comments! Handyman hurt his back poor guy so he took day off. So im still thinking about sink. Im going to center it. Mostly because i cant have this decision go bad on me after all the issues ive had with previous contractor (another story for another day!). I chose vessel because i already have one, i love them, hammered metal goes well with my rustic theme, and it was cheaper. Splashes arent a huge issue partly because we r in colorado and it evaporates quickly. That's why i chose the oval with high sides. Im putting plank wood look tile across the counter. YOU ALL HAVE ME WONDERING IF I SHOULD PARTIALLY RECESS IT NOW. That could help with kid stuff. But faucet woyld still be high and might solasj more? Thoughts????

• lefty47
    hace 6 años

HI -- I hope you show us the after it's done photos and tell us if it works for the child . Good Luck !

Michele Wood agradeció a lefty47
  • Porter Edun
    hace 6 años

Good luck and post photos when you get it done please!

Michele Wood agradeció a Porter Edun
  • minjeeah
    hace 6 años
    Yes we like pictures
    Michele Wood agradeció a minjeeah
  • Michele Wood
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Of course!

• armchairshopper
    hace 6 años

Before you make this decision, think about how the sink will be plumbed. There is so much plumbing that if you put the sink it the center, it will need to go where the drawer is. That means you top drawer will need to be blanked off and you won't get to use it. If you put the sink on the left side, it won't interfere with your drawer. See diagram of a sink installation below:

Part of the plumbing is in front of the wall (shown in dark gray) and part is behind the wall (shown in light gray). I could not find a vessel sink diagram, so I had to alter one to show how the sink would rise above the countertop. The faucets would be different since a vessel sink faucet would mount differently, but the critical issue is the plumbing beneath the sink.

Michele Wood agradeció a armchairshopper
  • armchairshopper
    hace 6 años

Kids grow. What works at the current age will be too low a few years from now. Can you child stand on a step stool for a few years to reach a higher sink?

Michele Wood agradeció a armchairshopper
  • Michele Wood
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Got the tile in

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 6 años

nice. i had a vessel sink that I partially recessed. maybe the bottom 1/4 or 1/3. worked fine. you should have gone w/a wall mounted faucet. would have been easier and given you more counter space.

are you painting the cabinet?

• Michele Wood
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks. I would have loved wall faucet but budget wise didnt work. Im either going to paint cabinet or sand/stain to match tile. Maybe it would look like a piece of furniture that way?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 6 años

yes. that would look nice. I did this one years back in a rental house. found a mid century piece and painted it black. put a marble piece on top and used a marble vessel sink I found for $25! the cost of the vanity and top came to $200.

what color is your sink?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.