Houzz Logo Print
nedrra

Seeking architectural rendering service

We seek to retain someone with mad skills in architectural renderings. Someone who will help interpret our vision for the complete remodel and additions to our home and poolhouse. We have current blueprints and site pics we could share. It's over 3,300 SF total. Any recommendations?? Located on Big Island of Hawaii in the middle of a rainforest.

Comentarios (19)

• User
    hace 6 años

That person is an architect. Like the one that designed the home in the beginning. Rendering uses architectural plans to create the vision. You have to have the remodeling plans first. An all architects have some form of visualization tools these days.

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you. I must not be asking for what I want correctly as this is not my field of experience. I have an architect. The renderings I've received are somewhat pedantic. I'm looking for more artistic artistry that translates onto paper what we have within our minds.

• PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

If you are wanting visualizations of a designed interior, an Interior Designer can do that for you. But that is a long way off. You have to have completed architectural plans first, and then the interior can be designed.

Business_Name_Placeholder agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Avoree Ferreira-Dunlap
    hace 6 años

Killick Stone

He specializes in interpreting your needs and wants onto paper. He does not work on the computer, but produces beautiful hand drawn renderings. He is not located in Hawaii, but it couldn't hurt to check him out. I am sure that you could Skype or Facetime for meetings and he could mail the drawings once they are finalized.

If you speak with him, let him know that Avoree recommended him, and he will take care of you!

Business_Name_Placeholder agradeció a Avoree Ferreira-Dunlap
  • PRO
    Carolina Moncion Design
    hace 6 años

Sounds like you are looking for someone with 3D design expertise. Images to help you build what you are visualizing. Both interior and exterior. Am I right?

Business_Name_Placeholder agradeció a Carolina Moncion Design
  • PRO
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I have had limited exposure to 2D and 3D work ups and what I've seen so far are not inspiring. The one time I retained someone to do hand rendering was probably 12 years ago and gave me results like this photo. --is that a unicorn nowadays (I don't recall her name)??

don't criticize the lettering - that's not from her, and it's a long story...

• PRO
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Linda Monier Designs: understood, thx. I am seeking to retain someone who will work with us to produce renderings similar to the photo above, prior to final decisions on our additions and renovations of our two structures.

if I can't find someone to work hand renderings my next choice would be computer generated 2 and 3D work ups.

• User
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

If your architect's renderings are insufficient for you to visualize, I suggest that it's a failure of imagination rather than his design. If you are willing to pay another 5-10K for something more lifelike, and the hand holding for the undecided exterior choices, then an Interior Designer can do that for you. And then do the same thing for the interior. At a much greater fee. Renderings use specifically chosen products, which means the designers help you select those products. For someone with poor visualization skills, a generic rendering using ''gray roof and white lap siding'' will not help a great deal over what your architect is already providing.

• PRO
    Carolina Moncion Design
    hace 6 años

@nedrra Call Joe Belisario at the Hawaii Design Group LLC. His contact is in the post blurb. He may be able to help you.

https://www.facebook.com/joe.belisario/videos/4588481227356/

• PRO
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Please elaborate regarding the comment 'hand holding' as well as 'failure of imagination rather than his design'. Also, there is the suggestion that an Interior Designer may be the person to retain to address our goal for help with design options, both exterior and interior? If so, that's great to know -- but I just want to be clear before I search that out.

Perhaps it will be helpful to the houzz community to elaborate at this point. Please keep in mind that I'm just a homeowner and trying to find my way through all this in hopes that the huge (huge to us) sums of money we are about to spend will culminate in realizing a pleasing representation of our goal and vision.

We have two structures on property and are going through the tedious and expensive process of first getting them "PERMITTED" (state of Hawaii). Long Story short. Architect we've retained is helping greatly with this and connecting us with all the various engineers (electrical, structural, civil).

There is a main home with a connected studio, a 3 bedroom pool house with a connected 1 bedroom tiny house. When looked at as a whole, they are mismatched. Plus an above ground therapeutic saltwater pool with wood decking halfway around it. All the structures, save the studio which is a finished product, are in various stages of completion. Not to mention we completely lack an actual entry experience to our main home. There is none. Really: none. It's a little maize.

Finally getting "all of this" permitted is what we refer to as our Phase 1, and it started early this year, and we're about 3 or 4 more months out to completion.

We all knew that our goal was to have a Phase 2: breaking out walls, adding to, finding ways to make a somewhat incoherent mess of mismatched roof lines and styles of houses to become seriously, aesthetically pleasing.

Perhaps understandably, in reading this a professional might ask, "Why in the world do you have all those structures, and why would you want to add to that?" Because we are in the business of providing private exclusive holistic retreats in the middle of a mystical Hawaiian rainforest. Also, all these structures were never designed professionally - they've all been pieced together -- and we're ready to take all the bandaids off and get a professional Makeover.

Fortunately for us, from the time we got here - 13 years ago to now - our structural incompletions and lack of aesthetics have not deterred clients from wanting to come here and work with us. Fortunately, the ...wonderfulness... of our 12 acres of land, as well as our professional services apparently have shone brighter than the need for our property to have it's makeup and attire on correctly.

This year we have 'finally' decided to take our property to a much higher level and have it 'done right'.

I'm taking a deep breath and am sending snapshots, bracing myself for a collective Great Moan to come back to me from the ethers. I'm TRULY not seeking consolation -- but please communicate with me with heartfelt honesty, or just genuine kindness at the least (thank you in advance). As disconnected, flat and professionally unappealing (husband and I are aware that it's a mess) as it might be, it's still my baby. :) We are grateful for the houzz community's help and guidance.

All the above pics ^^^ are taken from driving up our driveway (sequentially). In order of appearance: Pool house (painted blue green), Poolhouse connected with Tiny House (painted biege), Tiny House and to the right is the Main house (purple and white---don't ask), Main house connected with studio at far right (white paint).

The pics below are taken from the other side of the blue-green house ('Poolhouse')

• PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

What an amazing location! I'm assuming that since you are going through the process of "as is"permitting that a teardown is not allowed? I'm sure your architect has someone in his office, or a colleague, that can assist you in better visualizations of his plans. But, I guess that the question is is he done with planning the additions, etc.?

• PRO
    Carolina Moncion Design
    hace 6 años

@nedrra, I think it's wonderful that clients have not - as you said- been deterred to visit. Personally, it's different in a charming way and your professional services have not been affected so it can't be that bad, right? No moaning from me. I think it's wonderful you are able to make the improvements you are trying to acquire assistance for. I believe a rendering artist will help you see what it will all look like. An interior designer can work with you and the artist or architect to make certain the home has a flow inside, once the buildings are connected. Many people are looking for the same thing: they want to be certain they are happy with the results and seeing it beforehand is a great help. I cannot guess what costs for these services in that area would be but if it helps ensure it's what you both want and will be happy with, the renders will definitely help with visualization.

Good luck and I hope you find the assistance you need with your project on the big island! That mystical Hawaiian rainforest you mentioned sounds spectacular!

• PRO
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you so much - Avoree, Carolina and Linda! In all honesty, I wasn't sure if it WAS supposed to be an insult, lol!!!! Anyways, I understand. And I apologize if I sounded like I was throwing my architect Under The BUS!! I didn't mean to do that. But I have been frustrated, so perhaps it did sound like it. And, just in case the architect in question ends up reading all this: I APPRECIATE ALL YOU'VE DONE FOR US!!!!!! And, sorry if I put my fat foot in my big mouth. No insults intended, at all.

• katinparadise
    hace 6 años

Have you searched Houzz for architects in your area? Looking at portfolios of a number of architects until you find someone whose style clicks with yours may be a good way to go.

Business_Name_Placeholder agradeció a katinparadise
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 6 años

I'm going to guess you are looking for an architect who is an avant garde DESIGNER...like Frank Lloyd Wright. These guys are in a different stratosphere of talent when compared to your regular, well educated architects.

The type of architectural designer you are hoping to meet up with is hard to find...and even harder to finance. The vision they bring to a build can be breath taking! And the price tag they put on their genius is in keeping with the breath taking structures that they create - earth shattering pricing.

What Sophie was pointing out is this: the vast majority of us will NEVER work with such genius. Most of us will only be able to find the regular architects. The ladies and gentleman who can get you walls in places where you want them and permits from the city/state that you live in. All while sticking to code. Boring but structurally sound stuff.

"Envisioning" a great work of art is not their thing. It just isn't. The hugely talented "visionaries" in architecture are all living and working in places like Dubai, Qatar, Beijing, Tokyo, etc.

I wish you luck. Your architect is "doing the job" but not to the artistic level that you were hoping for. You *might be able to find a designer who can put your vision to paper...and then that vision can then be offered to the architect for reinterpretation - to suit the permits.

Business_Name_Placeholder agradeció a Cancork Floor Inc.
  • PRO
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Thank you katinparadise and cancork for your feedback. I am actually following up on a few leads through some other creative channels and I will keep you posted!

• PRO
    Summit Ridge Design LLC
    hace 6 años

@ nedrra, The pictures I posted were the homeowners vision and not necessary ours and i didn't expect them to be inspiring to your project, but rather to show that we have the capabilities to create the type of documents you are looking for. You've gotten some pretty good advice here from a lot of talented folks and we certainly hope that you will find what your looking for. Your home site has the basic tapestry to create an amazing project. We truly wish you all the best.

Business_Name_Placeholder agradeció a Summit Ridge Design LLC
  • PRO
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I don't see the pics you posted :(

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.