Houzz Logo Print
slothypoo

Cleaning Hardwood floors?

Slothy Poo
hace 6 años

We just renovated our house and had our hardwood floors refinished and had plycrylic clear satin put on them. What can i use to clean them? The old surface didn't have this so water would damage it. 1 friend said a vinegar and water solution. What about swiffer wet or will this damage the surface? Im going to make people take off their shoes when they come in from now on. will have slippers for them. Where can you recommend i get inexpensive slippers?

Comentarios (10)

• graywings123
    hace 6 años

I believe the best way to care for wood floors coated with polyurethane is to vacuum using the floor brush of your vacuum cleaner. Then you can just spot clean anything wet or sticky using a damp microfiber cloth or a rag.

The no shoes/slipper issue is up to you. I would not ask guests to remove their shoes. I would put an area rug at each entry door so they can wipe their shoes before stepping on to the hardwood.

• rrah
    hace 6 años

Find the Bona X products. I was first introduced to Bona about 20 years ago from a true hardwood floor craftsman. He was picky and proud of the floors he installed. Use the Bona cleaner. I would never use a swiffer on my hardwood floors or vinegar.

• lindac92
    hace 6 años

Most installers of poly coated floors say to use a quick spray of dilute vinegar on a swiffer or a dust mop and run over them with that. I had my oak floors redone with poly about 20 years ago and that's what I use....and I use 409 on anything icky. So far no problems....and I have a much used old oak table that is well coated with poly and I regularly wipe it with 409 and in about 37 years there is no problem, no marks, rings nor any signs of wear. And this is the coffee table that gets feet with shoes put on it and grand kids eating from and wine glasses and drink glasses. Poly is sturdy stuff!!
    Before my floors were redone, they had a shellac finish, under carpet. That was a very fragile surface and certainly "bloomed" when it got water on it if there was not wax. Poly is different....wax ( like in bona) just smears on the surface.
    ( I mention the under carpet because when I removed the carpet the floors were in very good shape!)

Slothy Poo agradeció a lindac92
  • Jessica Ross
    hace 6 años

Hi there,

My wife and I had to move in a new house recently, since both our families were
    disapproving of our relationship. The said house has a hardwood floor and up
    until now neither she, nor I, have ever dealt with this particular flooring.
    The neighbours ( and the internet ) were
    really helpful when it came to it.

I recommend sweeping your floor or vacuuming it with a compatible attachment (
    as to not leave any scratches ). Then, once most of the dust is gone, you can
    proceed using a damp mop with a cleaning solution. We are using this mop made by Bona and so far haven't regretted the purchase. I also advise to fill the
    container with a neutral pH cleaner.

May your floors be always smooth and shiny,
    Jess

• Slothy Poo
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

that bona mop when squirted doesnt leave too much liquid? Do you have to dry your floor after moping it?

• Jessica Ross
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

@Slothy Poo - It doesn't leave much liquid after spraying. Think of it as a water spray bottle (the one you use for plants that don't need much water, and are okay with a few water sprays on the leaves). And no, you won't need any additional drying.

You'll just have to clean the rug part of the mop occasionally.I hope that helped,
    Jess

Slothy Poo agradeció a Jessica Ross
  • Slothy Poo
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Okay that sounds great ty!

• PRO
    MBA Supply Company
    hace 6 años

Before placing any hardwood cleaner or organic solution on the hardwood floor, sweep the floor daily with a soft broom or dust mop to get as much of the dirt, sand, debris or other particles picked up as possible.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.