Houzz Logo Print
olly_hewitt

Kitchen layout wobble!

Barney Rubble
hace 6 años

Hi all,

We're in the middle of having the ground floor of our 1970's flat re-modelled. It's an open plan kitchen / living area and needs to accommodate 2 adults and one child.

We've thought about the layout carefully and with the help of an architect have come up with what we think is the best use of limited space.

As you can see from the drawing the majority of the kitchen runs down a single wall. This opens up the floor space for a dining table and compliments the layout of the built-in storage on the opposite wall.

My nagging worry is that this kitchen run encroaches on the 'lounge' space a bit too much and isn't the most sociable of layouts.

We could to to have some sort of return incorporating a breakfast bar and the maybe the dishwasher to give the kitchen a 'U' shape. However in doing this we'd lose floor area and a space to put the dining table. There is also the danger of creating a tunnel effect and bumping in to each other in the kitchen!

Alternatively week could shorten the length of the run...

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts... thanks.

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 6 años
    F&C project · Más información

For more images look on my pro page - this one is F and C project .
  • cheddarmum
    hace 6 años
    I'm not sure about oven? Better switch with ff? You are more likely to want to grab something out fridge?
  • cheddarmum
    hace 6 años
    Our sink in utility and won't have dirty plates etc on show?
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 6 años
    If you switch oven and ff a hide and slide type oven night be useful as there doesn't look like enough space in front for standard door
  • Barney Rubble
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks for your comment so far - good advice!

• Barney Rubble
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

OnePlan, if we kept the original layout but switched the FF and oven do you think the design works? Is there a functioning kitchen 'work triangle'? Thanks.

• tezz4
    hace 6 años

Swapping ff for the oven makes more sense. Also if you eliminate the eye level oven you could fit an undercounter oven beneath the hob and save that space for more countertop where you could have a tea and toast station. You could shorten the running length of your cupboards but you do need the worktop space, so don't.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 6 años
    My instant reaction was swap the FF with oven stack too - until I realised there might not be, technically, enough space infront of oven if you do that . Can you confirm the distance ... it looks like 844mm ?!
    Is it possible to steal some space from the cupboard in hall to allow recessed pullout and oven stack with 1000mm clearance in front of it ? It looks like that area may be studwork ?!

From a working point of view it's better to keep pantry and fridge together ( ease if creating menu ideas, shopping lists and unstacking food shopping etc) and safer to keep ovens out of areas where dining occurs and main walkways for non chefs occurs .
  • PRO
    &INK Design
    hace 6 años

Personally I wouldn't do a U shape kitchen, as it would take up too much space and could also look quite dated. If you make the kitchen from good materials (ones that make it look like a piece of furniture for instance), the architect's simple layout will work well, and you can of course play with the location of specific kitchen elements as others have suggested. When you use the space you don't experience the room in plan only, and having things overlap is more than fine! Best of luck, Barbara

• Barney Rubble
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks again for all your input. The width is 844 OnePlan - I'm looking at how we can widen it..

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.