Houzz Logo Print
mayconstruction

Built In Shelving:

How do you use your built-in shelves in your home?

We would enjoy hearing your ideas about built in shelving – where and how do you feel they are best used and most needed. Please feel free to share your photos with us.

Everywhere!
Kitchen
Bathroom
Living Area
Bedrooms

Comentarios (11)

• tooky58
    hace 6 años

I voted everywhere with the caveat that I don't want open shelving in the kitchen.

• CLC
    hace 6 años

Honestly, I prefer as little built in shelving as possible (none preferably, but if I had to choose a room, I would pick the bathroom). Built ins always seem to date the home and/or not serve the homeowners needs at some point. And when that happens, they can be hard to modify, change and/or remove. I prefer furniture (bookshelves, cabinets, etc), which can be moved, modified, and/or replaced much more easily.

• PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    hace 6 años
    Built-ins, unlike furniture, add value to a house and can save valuable floor space. For example, instead of two traditional reach in closets that waste a lot of space, a wall of floor to ceiling built-ins with a combination of drawers, tall hanging, half height hanging and adjustable shelving is far more efficient and eliminates the need for a dresser or chest of drawers. Using Shaker style doors and drawer fronts painted white provides long term appeal.

Similarly built in storage and shelving flanking a fireplace or TV provides both hidden and open storage. Adjustable shelving is key to long term functionality.
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    hace 6 años
    Built in closet · Más información
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    hace 6 años
    Living and Dining · Más información
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    hace 6 años
    The above two built-ins are among the favorites I have seen on Houzz.
  • CLC
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Built ins can add value to a home, but I question how much value most built ins really add. Unfortunately built ins often can often hurt it -- they simply don't appeal or function in the same way for everyone.

My sister's home had a built in around the fireplace (shelving on both sides and a tv nook). They had a heck of a time selling the house because of it......they received many comments that it was a turn off and eye sore to buyers. It was also an expensive fix for sometime to change it (drywall, flooring, etc). You see many design dilemmas on here about what to do with ugly or dated and/or not functional built ins. My inlaws have built in shelving in their living room -- it is all red brick and wood shelving. It was an upgrade when they built in 1984, and was supposed to add value, but now it looks like a dated eye sore and will hurt them at resale. Who knows what today's built ins will look like in 20-30 years, or if they will even be functional.

Obviously some built ins are better and more timeless than others, and much depends on function. Closet and/or bathroom built in shelving are typically nice to have, function equally well for most people, and don't necessarily date a home. That said, I wouldn't pay more for a house with built in systems in the closets. It would be a bonus, but I could certainly live without the closet built in systems. And I would still prefer furniture or empty space over permanent built in shelving in my main living areas. But each to their own. ;-)

• PRO
    TLC Remodeling
    hace 6 años

I love built-in shelving as long as they are used to store and display items for that room. When they become a catch all for "stuff" then I would not prefer to have them.

• PRO
    SCD - Design & Construction
    hace 6 años

Built in shelving looks much cleaner because it is flush with the wall and a space can look more open when u don't have furniture such as a closet in the way.

• PRO
    Genuwine Cellars
    hace 6 años

Built in shelving under the stairs is a great use of space. We've seen beautiful book shelves and even storage cubbies for the family home done this way. Very smart.

Of course you can also use under stairs space for built in shelves in the form of wine storage.

PEG System - Under Stairs Wine Bottle Display | Stainless Steel Wine Racking by · Más información

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.