Houzz Logo Print
kristen_conklin

Yes or no? Marble Coffee Table

Kristen Conklin
hace 6 años
Would you put a rectangle marble coffee table in this living room? I love the couch & chairs we had made, and I think a coffee table would finish it out. Is there any other recommendations you have? Also, does my console table behind the couch need to be taller? Thoughts on lamps behind the couch?? Thank you for any suggestions!!

Comentarios (80)

• Kate
    hace 6 años
    Two year olds are only two for a year:/
  • Kristen Conklin
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Maybe I should also add that this living room isn't our main living area. We have a family room with a TV so we don't spend much time here as a family. I, however, love getting lost in that couch reading a book on my down time & taking occasional naps while my toddler sleeps!! I really just want a classy, timeless look that won't 'go out of style' ten years from now. I'm willing to spend more to keep this furniture forever. There is marble tile in the entry & bathrooms which is why I originally considered tying it all together.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 6 años

I envision lots of busted lips and bruised foreheads with toddlers and marble or glass. Bear in mind the table should be centered with the firebox and the sofa should be no further than 18" from it. I am drawn to the upholstered round ottoman instead. I think the scale of the piece behind the sofa is way too short and not long enough either since the lamps are sitting so close together. They are much too diminutive for the massive window treatment behind them. As for the green lamp, sit in one of the chairs. Can you see the interior of the shade from a seated position? If so, the lamp is too tall. It might do well on a larger table in front of the window as the main attraction framed with the drapes. If you ever have the opportunity to flank the FP with a pair of demi-lune tables, the petite rose shaded lamps might do well there if scale is correct.

• PRO
    RL Morton & Associates, PC
    hace 6 años
    I would be aware marble is a porous stone and susceptible to staining.
  • Kristen Conklin
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Okay this may be a wild card, but what if I added a mini grand piano in this room. How would you arrange the furniture?? I pulled my inspiration from this photo because I LOVE everything about it. Thank you all for the great recommendations!!
  • northpoint2
    hace 6 años

If you're concerned about a glass coffee table, I am very confused by this new idea!

• felizlady
    hace 6 años
    The coffee table you show may be a bit too large for the space. Try this: bring out a few books, and mark the corner measurements of that table with books on the floor. Can you walk around the book-table easily? If you allow 15-18" between the sofa and the table (for someone sitting on the sofa to stand and step out), does that seem comfortable? Would the slab of white marble be too much white for that spot? Your guests need somewhere to place a cup or small plate. Would you expect three people to sit on the sofa? Would small glass end tables work as well as a coffee table?
  • gtcircus
    hace 6 años
    It wasn't glued, the top was heavy enough, but if it is a concern, there is liquid nails or silicone (type used by fabricators for stone). A couple of dabs, let it sit and you should be set to go. You will want the type of table where the stone top just sets on top rather than inserts inside the top. A photo of mine. My coffee table is small but it sits out in a conservatory. If you have a decorator, they may be able to find a gold leave coffee table stand for you. We found an iron stand and I helped my friend gold leaf hers. They also have other precious stones like lapis and tiger eye. But I love your original table, I just thought of the malachite when I saw the green accents in the room. I thought perhaps by asking you were wondering if there were something a it more bold. Another option is simply to order the top and then have a local iron worker make the base for you - so that the top inserts into the new table, then gold or silver leaf it.
  • gtcircus
    hace 6 años
    I have a baby grand in my living room, just look at the player series - mine was retrofitted in. Then you can sit on the sofa, read a book while the computer plays your favorite song sipping on a glass of wine. My favorite time of the day. LOL
  • PRO
    Lumar Interiors
    hace 6 años

Below are various coffee tables we have used in designs over the past few years. Take a look and see what you think.

Kingstation Elegant Home · Más información

Royal York Renovation and Decoration · Más información

Bayview Country Estates · Más información

• ilovecontemporary
    hace 6 años
    Nice choice. I like!
  • ilovecontemporary
    hace 6 años
    Sorry didnt read whole message. Yes you need a coffee table, definitely. The room style is very traditional and formal so something like you chose would be nice. A glass table top would also lend some sparkle to the room so could be an option. Make sure it is no higher than the sofa cushion.

Yes it looks like your console table may be a bit low, or your lamps too short. He console table should sit a few inches below the top of the sofa, max about six inches lower. Otherwise the scale will look totally off.

Lovely room by the way, great job!
  • ilovecontemporary
    hace 6 años
    Ps your console looks like it isnt wide enough either, or the lamps are too close together. 2/3 the length of the sofa is aprox width of console.
  • jbtanyderi
    hace 6 años
    Put the chairs on either side of the fireplace, and have the sofa (which looks like a cushion showroom) facing it. A sofa table should be at or slightly below the height of the sofa. In your case, it would be a line even with the bottom of the lowest curve. Keep the coffee table light, and no more than 2/3 the length of the sofa. Rethink the lamps/shades for better co-ordination.
  • Terrie B.
    hace 6 años

We too had the adult formal living room. Funny my children never went in but I realize I had a baby gate at entrance to keep them out :o) The coffee table was wood frame with glass inset. Rectangle or oval would be nice. I like the lightness of the glass plus we had lovely persian rugs that you could see through it.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Elliptical (not oval) yes, rectangular no. In marble - even though it scratches easily.

• Barbara Simpson
    hace 6 años
    Your home is beautiful. I think a glass table would be perfect. I would also change the lamp shades but that's probably just my personal preference.
  • teresale2013
    hace 6 años

Since you want a timeless look, I suggest studying pictures like the bayview estates above. Has the same furniture layout and a very similar feel. It looks pretty timeless to me. (I just added it to my ideabook).

I don't think colored lampshades are timeless. So, like others have said, lampshades need to be changed to neutral. Also it looks like the table between the two chairs is marble. More marble would be overkill and stuffy IMO. I think the glass table is the best look. I also suggest editing the fireplace mantel--taking away the vases so that the eye goes straight to the picture.

Really is a show stopper of a room--enjoy!

• Doreen Shann
    hace 6 años

I would go with an ottoman; less is more and I think anything else would be a little over the top. But that is just me. I'm kinda into simple.

• Margaret Friedrich
    hace 6 años

Be careful with glass or marble tops. Any sharp corners will be dangerous for any young child. My brother cracked his head open on a marble topped rectangular table. If you really want glass or marble, consider keeping the top covered when your child is in the room.

• PRO
    Design Concepts by Renee Erxleben
    hace 6 años

What is the width of your sofa, height of the seat and height of the back? What are the dimensions of your console table?

• shofer1019
    hace 6 años

I like the oval or elliptical table idea so everything isn't so square and won't take up too much room. No corners to hit your leg on!

• Laura Fredricks
    hace 6 años

I think you've got a great look going and I really believe a coffee table is essential to polish the look and to provide an eminently useful space to put a few glasses of wine when your sitting in the space or to place a book, etc. Whereas you did select the most visually lightweight marble coffee tables-elegant and streamlined...there is no doubt that glass (or acrylic) is the best choice. There are a number of luxurious fabrics and patterns. The layout is excellent. It it also appears there isn't a huge amount of space for the spot for the coffee table. I do not believe glass in a coffee table is dangerous especially if it's set into a frame. It's not a playroom and even if you (hopefully) use this room often your child can be coaxed to be careful. You already have glass shelves with breakables, a fire place and items on the console. I'm sure you've done a great job of having this lovely items without induly worrying. As far as finger marks...grown ups are often clueless and careless and even wood tables show finger marks and scratches. (Marble is a highly practical too and I can rarely envision a scenario where people are going to treat your table like a picnic table and spill things and put lemon peels on the table.) But for a living room with normal "clumsiness" levels, I'm sure neither glass nor marble is not going to be too difficult to maintain than other surfaces. Look at all the lovely fabrics. Do you worry someone or a child will forsake a napkin for the drapes. I've had marble, glass, white upholstery, antiques from the time my kids were born. And I've banged my shins on the edge of my own coffee table. glass will open up the space or the room might start to look a bit too constricted and too many elements. I like some of the other suggestions people have made regarding some sophisticated touches regarding the lampshades and mantle treatments. I love the green pleated shade on the lamp between the two chairs. My o jection to acrylic or plexi: it looks great but it does scratch easily. Very easily and then it looks terrible over time. Especially for a coffee table unless everyone is careful.

I love some of your own choices...the white marble tables with gold frames are nice and not too ornate. two tiers are great because you can display on the second tier and leave the top free for Tea or Drinks or a book, etc. Glass used in tables is thick and shatterproof and I have never had a glass used as shelving or decorating break. Not windows...only drinking glasses and vases

I like my table because it's two tiers, the lower tier is wrapped in leather. I love changing the display on the lower shelf. And the top is used for books or for entertaining.

• Laura Fredricks
    hace 6 años

The iconblog where you have the acrylic coffee table and grand piano is a very nice look overall I have a nearly 7' grand/baby grand. It's tough if the space is tight where do you think you'd put it if you got one? You only show two (or three? I'll have to scroll up) photos of your room . What is the the left of the built in glass shelves with the collectibles?

• Laura Fredricks
    hace 6 años

Simple bronze metal exterior, mirrored (dark) and two leather cubes tucked neatly underneath. The mirror is reflective and the frame is light and simple so not too much visual space eaten up. But the mirror adds pizazz but not in a tacky way.

• Laura Fredricks
    hace 6 años

I can't find a better photo (sorry)

• User
    hace 6 años

Two things I would want for the coffee table: something that reiterated the fluid curves of the upholstered furniture, and probably nesting tables, which would break up the rigid formality and suggest that the space is flexible, and therefore more welcoming. I think if you end up with something that feels fixed and too anchored, you might end up with a room that nobody feels comfortable relaxing in But a coffee table that is a "nesting" arrangement, suggests you are ready to open up the space to suit the occasion and the participants.

Portia Global Ivory Stone Gold Nest Round Coffee Tables · Más información

• Laura Fredricks
    hace 6 años

These are great! I love the top set. Perfect (at least for me but I'm not the person who's enquiring.

• Laura Fredricks
    hace 6 años

Back to the green lamp between the chairs. It does appear this lamp is too tall. It's not great to sit in the chair and look up into the bulb of the lamp.

Since you clearly state you have another less formal space where I presume your toddler has more free reign I definitely would go with something that looks greaT. As you say, you've invested with a look and quality you plan to keep for years. As long as marble edges or glass edges are inserted into a metal edge I think you really are fine.

if you opt for a more appropriately sized console behind the sofa, great. But i have a few ideas that might allow you to cheat a bit. First spread the lamps as far apart as possible. Get taller, buffet style lamps. If you have slim, tall lamps the lamps will end in the right place behind the sofa. Also, a few short stacks of nice books: either 1 stack of larger books or two stacks of hard covered novels in perfect condition. You can always sit a small object or a photo on the top of the books.

• nanakeroyd
    hace 6 años

Kristen, hi, you appear to be young, in your early thirties maybe? Don't decorate like your mom or gramma. I assume you have an active lifestyle. You appear to like the finer things of life as well. My advice, take it for what it is worth....decorating is personal. Be personal. Reflect your family and your way of life. What are you drawn to if you walk in a museum? What mood do you want to reflect. Don't always be safe. Marble seems a little cold for the warmth your family reflects. My advice...do you like Charleston style? Do you like New England charm? Do you like a burst of color? Are you hip? Fine a piece of art that makes you happy and lose all the flowers. Elegance is great, fru fru not so much. I am not trying to be rude...just suggesting you be true to yourself. Do you really want a do not touch uncomfortable room? Do you want a curl up and read room? If you type in photos of elegant or beautiful living rooms in charleston, or fabulous homes of Atlanta Georgia, or the most beautiful interiors in Dallas or homes of the Hamptons and be specific...you will find an ample collection of photos awaiting your discerning taste. Dare to be different. A home is a reflection of you. Dare to be dramatic. A modern painting with bold colors may be just the touch for the room of your dreams and let the color pop. I am older, in my 60s but I would never suggest my daughter to decorate like me. My style is eclectic. A mix of things I have loved....wildlife sculptures, a touch of Italy, a touch of Texas and the southwest, a touch of the French countryside......leather, beautiful rugs, you get the picture. We live in a mini southern plantation style home in the woods. We live in every room. I leave most of the flowers outside in my gardens. Look up the blog, Between naps on the porch....it is amazing......she hi-lights homes sometimes. Get in touch with yourself and go wild! Who is Kirsten? Let her dictate. Now this is a room I personally love. Elegant, warm, inviting, relaxing....not my house but so beautiful.

A past room at another home of mine that reflects our casual lifestyle.
    Our bedroom at Christmas.......l wanted color like Charleston but with a touch of The Biltmore on a budget.

look through decor magazines...if you like Southern living or country French.......again research and find what suits you. Above all........evolve.......stay fresh and be true to you.

• nanakeroyd
    hace 6 años

Just wanted to add...love the chairs, sofa and rug. I am not sure there is room for a baby grand....I have one in place of my formal dining....your style appears to be country French. Ck out Horchow. Try a drop dead mirror over the fireplace or commisson a painting of yourself or your kiddos or maybe a colorful abstract and mix it up a bit. Find a focal point. You might want to lose the oriental unless it is in a curio.......do as I say.....not as I do...lol

• Terrie B.
    hace 6 años

For what it is worth , I would lose the pink lamps. They remind me of the dusty rose, mauve or the 80's. Love your furniture and carpet. well done.

• maureenaa
    hace 6 años

A glass coffee table would be great. We have had the same one for 44 years. The glass is 5/8" thick in a silver tone metal, contemporary hexagon shape. We have raised 4 boys and have 2 grandsons. The only injury incurred was not from the table but from the fireplace hearth.

The glass allows an open feeling and makes the room look less cluttered. In some ways the table disappears even though it is a unique shape and focal point of the room.

Finger prints, rings from a wet glass and other stains are easily removed. As one response suggested, "that is what Windex is for". Actually glass is much more durable than wood or marble. Our table has survived kids sitting on it and toys being dropped.

Thanks for the opportunity to respond. Good luck with with whatever you choose for your beautiful room!

• maureenaa
    hace 6 años

I have two additional comments. Accidents can happen with any hard surface, not just glass or marble, even wood! Two, acrylic is pretty to look at but scratches VERY easily.

So if you want wish to have furniture or accessories that are timeless, I still vote for glass.

Thanks once more.

• cineus
    hace 6 años
    A round turfed ottoman would look good. Yes, I think your sofa table is too low or lamps to short. Vases on mantle would look better with contents taller. Beautiful room.
  • modlodgeluv
    hace 6 años
    Elegant and formal but I'm just wondering why the sofa table behind the sofa? Is there room for an end table with heftier lamp to one side? Also what if sofa were in opposite wall facing the window and the 2 chairs moved to face the fireplace or to window wall?
    I'd go for lamps with contemporary shades in Creme or even black with gilded lining.
    Agreed on rounded edge coffee table and luv the nested examples with gold trim - would break up the space and function well.
    Malachite mentioned is great much needed pinch of color- nice lidded box and a set of coasters on that future table
    I'm also wondering if a vintage coffee table would be a fun thing to find - I love marble and given the limited use of the room, why not?
  • nanakeroyd
    hace 6 años

Saw a beaded pearl style (not pearl but beaded on edge) and a wooden Athens coffee table on horchow.....interesting....also saw see photo

very clean lines.....another suggestion....face sofa to front of fireplace....chairs to one side....baby grand on either end of room.....lose the sofa table and end table or place sofa facing fireplace, chairs either side of fireplace, baby grand in front of window......coffee table ...lose end table and sofa table....simplify book shelves and declutter...mirror above fireplace, but be more dramatic and simplistic.....more hip....I think this room looks like you from your picture

• Susan Davis
    hace 6 años

Some really great ideas! But I think you should go for the WOW factor with something in lucite! Trending, beautiful, classic as others have said above.

How about this?

Tillinghast · Más información

• nanakeroyd
    hace 6 años

Susan, great room but maybe she needs something , (coffee table) on a smaller scale? What do you think? Seriously, Kirsten, look up Horchow. so easy for us to suggest....so much harder to decide what is right for you! They do have some great lucite on Horchow as well........Don't know where you are from but go to the nicest store in town and if it is too pricey....look for a knockoff.

• Aaron Vorwerk
    hace 6 años

The color palette of your room and furniture silhouettes are very soothing. Given the scale of the couch relative to the armchairs, I would avoid tables that appear to be too 'solid' in order to reduce visual weight. As others have mentioned, a low oval table would work here, reflecting the shape of the nearby endtable. A marble top might be acceptable if the supporting structure is very minimal. I'd prefer a glass top—given that it is appropriately designed to protect the little ones.

• Toni McCormick
    hace 6 años

Have you ever checked out One Kings Lane? Browse thru their website--I think you can find several suggestions from above comments on the site. If you can stomach one more suggestion--Like JudyG Designs I'd opt for something acrylic, clear and oval with simple lines.

• Kristen Conklin
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    What do you think about this coffee table in my living room?
  • nanakeroyd
    hace 6 años

Yes

• PRO
    Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.
    hace 6 años

Hi Kristen Conklin and Houzz Pros.

Do you know about Chairish? You can submit offers; however, if you offer less than half, the vendor will not receive the notification. Here's the link to Chairish Marble Coffee Tables. You can also filter by shipping options, style and price.

• Terrie B.
    hace 6 años

Lovely

• User
    hace 6 años
    Beautiful coffee table
  • lynartist
    hace 6 años
    Hi Kristin, I like that last coffee table because the legs crack me up;)! It is large though. I like the Leda of a beautiful ottoman for the sake of comfort; that is always my first priority! I have a large , tall coffee table in my living room and I love it; it's the perfect height for drinks and snacks and I use it often! So if that works for you then go for it! I do have a problem with your green and red lampshades! That is a no no from me;).
  • lynartist
    hace 6 años
    Leda? Ha! I meant Idea!
  • cmaci
    hace 6 años

Call me klutzy (or gauche as I was frequently called), but my family had a sharp-cornered, marble inlay, coffee table. As a teenager and as an adult, who tends to move quickly, I constantly banged into the corner and had near-permanent bruises on my leg! I like the idea of an oval shape for this reason.

• maureenaa
    hace 6 años

Hi Kristin,

The glass table is awesome and it has a second/lower shelf. Great choice. Hope your choose that one.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.