Houzz Logo Print
cwessells

Calling All Creative Folks! Need Dining Room Rug and Wall Art Help!!!

Crystal Wessells
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

So, I've finally purchased our dining set and have the chandelier on the way (I hope it works out!) - pic attached. The next order of business is to find a rug and some wall art!

Hubby and I are going for rustic elegance, with a slightly modern twist (but not contemporary).

For above the buffet:

He was thinking some type of B&W "farm art", I was thinking of a large metal roman numeral wall clock. Thoughts on this? Any other ideas?

On top of the buffet:

I'm lost! No clue!

For the rug:

I need ideas on colors and styles that would compliment the furniture and walls, but would add some color? I have way too much brown/beige going on right now! Nothing over the top crazy - just some subtle color.

BTW - ceiling is 15ft.

Ideas are welcomed and appreciated!

Comentarios (98)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

Yes that should make a big difference!

The room will function so much better:)

take the length of table and add 4'

take width add 4'

that will give you the size rug you need for the chairs to move on and out without getting fought up on edge of rug..

so a 72"-(6') table can usually use a 8x10

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

With a table 72" long, and a 12' length of room, you would have 3' on each end. So, it will be very tight for host type chairs, as you already know. For a rug, I wouldn't recommend, because you would have 3' on the ends, but I like to leave at least 12" of wood around a rug, which would mean the chair legs would catch on the rug. If you remove the buffet, you could lay a rug across the width of the table and 3' but end it at the end of the length of the table. Then the host chairs would not be on a rug. I think that would look weird. I say, no rug. The room is just too tight with the table and space on the sides.

Crystal Wessells agradeció a Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

All you need is at least a 1' of wood showing and 2' beyond side of table is plenty to pull out a chair....that is the rule of thumb on rug size..so you are GOOD!......without any other furniture in the space other than the table.....I think a rug is necessary and will obsorb sound when entertaining....

Crystal Wessells agradeció a Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

A good way to test is to put blue painter tape on the floor 2-3' from the table edges and measure. You need a minimum of 2' but it is best to have a bit more than that for chair push back. When you measure, that will tell you the size of rug and show you how much "border" space you have. I can do a scale drawing of this for you, but I think it might be more meaningful to you, if you do this trick and you can "see" it since it is sometimes hard to visualize.

• PRO
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

As we have said, you have to remove the buffet. I don't have the width of the table, but using 42" would give you a 8 x 10 size rug with 12" on the ends open for wood. The sides are no problem without the buffet. Just personal decision. Here is a rough sketch, but I still recommend you tape it out so you can actually use your chairs and see how it works.

dotted line is rug at 8 x 10' Table is 72" long x 42" wide. Verify those measurements.

Crystal Wessells agradeció a Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

Yes..Crystal said she was going to move buffet to another room..that is why a rug will work :))

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

Just found this series very rustic modern with Edison bulbs..one linear that only has one rod so could work and wouldn't swing around..just would need to see how much pole/posts you can get for your 15' ceilings..

• PRO
    The 8th House
    hace 6 años

I have over 200 selections of my own artwork to choose from with various genres or themes. Prints / Canvases can be ordered through my various channels from Economic Selections such as Society6, Crated and Zazzle to a more Custom Size and Higher Quality from Indiewalls. You can definitely find my portfolio for your desired prints from illustrations to photography (color and black & White). Any LARGE texts on any image is for watermark / copyright control and will not be shown on the final purchase. http://julianscorpio.houzz.com

Crystal Wessells agradeció a The 8th House
  • PRO
    VRA Interiors, LLC
    hace 6 años

Looks like you have a good start. We've added a few of our dining room designs to help you with some ideas for chandeliers and rugs, plus artwork.

Riverland Court · Más información

Wieuca Road · Más información

Wieuca Road · Más información

Crystal Wessells agradeció a VRA Interiors, LLC
  • Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

My goodness - I can't tell you all how appreciative I am of your comments, suggestions and efforts!!!

@Flo - many thanks for the sketch! I am going to use your tape trick to see how it looks in person, as you've suggested.

@Home Interiors - thank you for the chandelier suggestions (with links to make it easier on me), as they are along the lines of what I'm wanting :)

Since the unanimous decision is to remove the buffet - may I ask for your suggestions on what size artwork on that wall, and how high up should I place it? Since I no longer have the buffet as my "guide"...not sure how to place this art on a bare wall :)

Also - should I consider installing wall sconces (which would require an electrician of course)???

• Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@VRA Interiors - I love the last pic. I did consider an orb style chandelier briefly (and I still love them) - but ultimately got the linear style stuck in my head lol.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

Love the idea of wall sconces!! Here a a couple from restoration Hardware that are large and have a rustic feel...they both come in an eager steel finish that would work well with the chandeliers I posted from ELK lighting..

• Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@Home Interiors with Ease...I love the highland cow picture you suggested earlier in this post want to go ahead and purchase it :) Since I am moving the buffet out of the dining room - can you tell me what size would look best on my wall, and how high above the chair rails it should be hung? The biggest I've seen so far is 26x40, but Im not sure that will be large enough for my space?

Thanks again!!!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

Hi Crystal!

how are you doing on your dining room project?

26x40 is the largest in a Horizontal image you can have it matted and framed to enlarge it...but for your large space I recommend framing the wall Tapestry it comes in three sizes...medium is 68x80.. only $63 the money will be in the framing but if you have a Hobby Lobby they do a great job and absolutely lowest prices...no mat needed just stretched and simple black frame...this would be a vertical image.

• Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks for the quick reply! Ok, never thought of that - I'll explore this option :) Bummer it doesn't come any larger in framed canvas :( That would have been nice.

Unfortunately I'm pretty much back to square one on the dining room! Sigh:( After all the great feedback on this thread and some more thought, I decided to return the linear chandelier. If Im being honest, I did love it, but it was too industrial for the look Im trying to achieve. Now Im exploring some of the 2-tier options (like you said!). Maybe even something with a tad bit of bling. I seem to be stuck on trying to steer clear of the traditional styles (alot of scrolled metal with "U" shaped glass shades), without going "too" modern. So, the search continues! lol

Thank you VERY MUCH for all your advice up till now! It has truly been helpful

• jansgirl
    hace 6 años

I'm the one that is confused about modern vs contemporary. I think of "modern" as very spare, sharp edges. Contemporary I think of as what is currently popular. So I'm probably way off the mark but......

(18) Pinterest · Más información

Quoizel QF1829 - Build.com · Más información

Simone Chandelier | Schoolhouse Electric · Más información

Crystal Wessells agradeció a jansgirl
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

Modern and contemporay can be a bit blurred...Contemporary usually has design features that are a bit trendy what is in right now...so with that said changes all the time...Modern is a variety of classic clean lined furniture...the colors and fabrics change but the shapes and lines of the furniture usually stay the same....that's where the blurred line comes in because so often you see modern spaces with contemporary colors and fabrics...and you can put rustic in front of modern and contemporary and BAM...again the colors and fabrics change...Acessories just keep blowing in the wind....most clients are much more eclectic than they think:)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

This artist is amazing...but not sure of your budget...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

You could do the largest print matted and framed of the Highland cow and flank it with some wall sconces...would really make a statement...

Check out the size of these sconces and on sale $115 amazing

• jansgirl
    hace 6 años

Thanks for the mini lesson, Hiwe. So a wing back reupholstered in cabana stripe is contemporary. I see!!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

Not really a lesson just my take on it! Black and white cabana stripe on wingback..love it! Can almost work in and style room.....both classic in my mind..cabana stripe and wingback match made in heaven!:)) put it Vertical and it is amazing...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

Hey Crystal how are things going? Love the idea of tiered lighting for your space would really look great! Let me know if I can help in any way...I might have found a source that could print the Highland cow in a larger size....keep your fingers crossed..waiting to hear back from them.

• jansgirl
    hace 6 años

What about a "hide" rug? It's such a bummer that there isn't more contrast between floors and dining set. Both are nice and neither is highlighted.

I've read you don't have the space for a rug but though-Hey? what about something shaped irregularly?

Grand Canyon GC 09 Tan Rug · Más información

B289 Grey and Ivory Cowhide Rug- 6x8 ft. - At Home · Más información

Then if a chair isn't completely on the rug-no big deal? Does it work that way??!!
    (20) Pinterest · Más información
    This picture is from Pinterest-it's called Darlene's Fearless and Fabulous New Orleans Home
    (20) Pinterest · Más información

• Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Like jansgirl, I also appreciate your take on the different styles :)

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the highland cow,...have been searching like crazy to see if I can get it any larger. Overstock apparently had this in 60x40, but not the case anymore. Sold by Icanvas.

But.....If you are able to get this in a larger size that would be amazing!!! I'll wait to hear back from you :) Thanks so much!!!

• Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Oh and I love those sconces btw!!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

Crystal...found this Highland cow 60x40 can get a print or canvas and could do floating frame....take 40% off at checkout!

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

48 x 33

24 x 48

48 x 60

• thinklongthinkwrong
    hace 6 años

Try "sundae50" that may still be a valid code on greatbigcanvas.com

• Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    @HIWE-thank you SO much for looking into this!!! I talked it over with the hubs and ended up getting the 60x40 b&w cows with floating frame

I outlined the size on my wall with painters tape and we both agreed this one would look best (well, we hope!)

I can't wait to get it!
  • Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    @justelizabeth-thank you as well:)

The code they are offering now is different, but in any case, I was still able to get the 50% off! This really made it worth it!
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

That is awesome!! Can't wait to see it!! So glad I could help:))

• Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Hi everyone!

Sorry for the long break from this thread. It took me a while to get everything together with the dining room. But so far-this is what I have:) I ended up choosing an orb chandelier!

Now, I'm onto considering wall scones!!
    Yes, no?

If so- What type??

As always-any feedback is appreciated!
  • Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Attaching photo:)
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

Looking sooo great..that art looks amazing so glad you found something you loved...that Highland cow is just so fabulous to look at..makes such a statement!! The orb looks nice nothing to distract from your art.... yes sconces you will love them at night..really creates a beautiful atmosphere when entertaining...maybe something with a tiny bit of bling!!

• kjoy1
    hace 6 años

Wow!!! Crystal that looks A-MA-ZING:)

• Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you both!! This has been such a long process for me because I have zero creative talent - so I REALLY appreciate the help and advice!!!

If you come across any scones that would look nice-feel free to share! Btw-the chandelier is made by Crystorama.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

Here you go...

• Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I love those!!! RH has some awesome stuff:)

Thank you HIWE!!
  • shwshw
    hace 6 años

Great job so far.

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    hace 6 años

So... cows. OK... :-)

• Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Yup! Cows:) I really like them

So...I know it seems like my questions never end (because they don’t lol)...but my next task is both the wall sconces for the dining room and the light for my foyer.

I’m checking into the sconces from HIWE (RH has an outlet center where I live! Yay!).. but would like to get a few other suggestions on that, just so I have options In case RH doesn’t work out due to cost.

Also-thoughts on the foyer light? Since it is SOOO close to my dining room...Should I get a matching Orb style? Or something else???

Really need help on that one! Lol
  • Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    As an FYI-

These are the matching styles from the same manufacturer...

One with crystals, one without. Both much smaller than the dining room one.

Not sure if it would look odd to have 2 Orbs right next to each other?!
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Would not do matching orb....found these styles that would work well as a complementary light....

• PRO
    Clarece Creighton | Ethan Allen Torrance
    hace 6 años

Here's a chandelier that may work perhaps,

it hangs on a 13' wire and has 6' of chain, but you can add a chain if the drop down is longer than 6'..

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

Clarece you need to read the thread..she has already hung a new orb chandelier...but needs help with a complementary foyer light..any suggestions? What are your thoughts on it? I was thinking not to match and hang another small orb...what do you think?

• Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    HIWE - since my question is now different than my original post, I decided to create a new thread for the foyer light. I might get better responses this way:)
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

Something simple might work well in your entry.

• jani
    hace 6 años

I like simple..I was hoping for paint color. Is that off the table now?

• Crystal Wessells
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Hi Jani76..paint color? Sorry not sure what you’re referring to? Are you asking if I planned on
    re-painting the dining room?
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.