Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_7388907

Is it possible to stain Antique Heart Pine trim/floors?

User
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Besides painting the trim white (which I know people on here hate) is there a way to reduce the orange and monochromatic look?

I would be ok with darker stain, lighter stain, or just brownish without the orange trim.

There is NO shellac or varnish on the trim now. Just satin polyacrylic from what I can tell.

ive heard that pine is hard to stain as it gets splotchy.

So, is it possible? And is the advice for floors different from the trim? I do notice that in lots of Victorian houses, the floor is lighter

ps the walls are Bennington gray but if there are other light and airy colors you suggest...just not medium to dark colors and I don't really like the greenish blues you see sometimes online with this kind of trim. Honestly if the trim was darker I'd go with soft white walls

Comentarios (5)

• chiflipper
    hace 6 años

If your floors are truly "antique heart pine" and have wide boards they deserve a professional evaluation. The pro will tell you what's possible as to color and finish. I'm not a "wood person" but I would kill to have old heart pine floors.

• grapefruit1_ar
    hace 6 años

I would not touch the floors or trim! They are gorgeous. They are so much easier to care for than painted trim. There are two wall colors that I would avoid, gray and blue. There are so many colors that will look good with this wood.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Yes I was asking to keep the wood but perhaps lighten it or stain it darker.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Chiflipper, keeping the wide pine, tho ill tell you it's a monster to clean and the dogs are slowly destroying it. Plus the other 160 years of human activity that have affected it. So soft!

i literally live in one of the oldest parts of the US, so my 1850s house is quite new. There are plenty of REAL colonials around from the 16 and 17 hundreds.

Interestingly, these super old houses usually have color painted trim and even painted floors. Colors like muted duck egg blue and the like.

• PRO
    Eutree
    hace 5 años

Antique heart pine floors can be stained and accepts finishes well. While antique heart pine is inherently beautiful in its natural state, it really comes down to personal preference. If you choose to stain them, we find that neutral colors work well on pine. If you decide to go darker, you may lose some of the natural character in the wood as the darker stains give a more uniform appearance. We usually recommend Rubio Monocoat products for best results.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.