Houzz Logo Print
lillian_glover

Im trying to convert a small baptist chapel into my retirement home

Lillian Mc Ewan Glover
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Its a single storey brick and render building that I am hoping to extend upwards slightly to ensure adequate head height for a mezzanine on either side with an open plan central area for lounge dining and kitchen area . It accommodates a small bedroom downstairs for me with a wet room and two further bedrooms upstairs at either end of the building when family visit. I'm mulling over the issue of a staircase to reach both bedrooms upstairs. I'm putting a single garage extension which will house the third bedroom

Comentarios (22)

• Lillian Mc Ewan Glover
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

• Lillian Mc Ewan Glover
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Progress so far means that the roof has to come off first to gain height for the mezzanine area. The small hall will be extended to accommodate garage with living space above.

• minnie101
    hace 6 años

It sounds great. Do you have a plan with dimensions if you're looking for help with the stairs etc?

Lillian Mc Ewan Glover agradeció a minnie101
  • Lillian Mc Ewan Glover
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I do minnie but I'm not so good at getting the right version -I seem to have so many updated copies. I'll try to get them uploading asap.

• Lillian Mc Ewan Glover
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Here is the lower floor plans with a suggested staircase going up into the first mezzanine bedroom. It is suggested that I run a gangway up and across the void area into what will be above the kitchen area - a bathroom and above the garage a further bedroom . Not keen on this idea , but intend to use metal staircase as I like the industrial look .

• Jonathan
    hace 6 años
    What about having all the living rooms upstairs and all the bedrooms downstairs?
    You could have a double height hallway just after the entry with a grand staircase to the living accommodation which presumably being upstairs would benefit from a vaulted roof and better views.
    Lillian Mc Ewan Glover agradeció a Jonathan
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 6 años
    Gosh - that's a very nifty garage - with its own loo and laundry !

Not convinced the table will work there unless you have very, very skinny guests! ... and not sure quite how you will watch tv from the sofa ...
    think a little bit of improvement can be made there ...

Re stairs ... will need to see the upstairs layout and a side elevation too as will need to see where head height is good for stairs to go.

So the original entrance looks like it is far right of plan ? What's the outside like - will it be obvious to visitors that the side door is the only access now - or are you happy for guests to use original door and enter through your bedroom ?!
    Lillian Mc Ewan Glover agradeció a OnePlan
  • Lillian Mc Ewan Glover
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I have changed the idea of having the dining area . It will now sit in front of the kitchen area . You have to be just a bit forgiving for the positions of the furniture as my architect didn't really pay much attention to the placing of furniture and sizes of pieces. Suffice to say that the whole ground floor level has 9 rather large windows giving loads of natural light north /south facing so wouldn't consider having having bedrooms downstairs either Jonathon. I had to change the front door entrance use because highways wouldn't allow me to have this front access due to lack of visibility splay. So what is currently the kitchen door will have to be my front door now . I was considering to use the original front porch area space as a wardrobe area for my bedroom. I have 365 % green field views and open countryside . Yipeee, with a small/medium size garden with boundary wall separating the small cemetery . Yes thank you all for your comments they are really helpful . This is certainly a work in progress. Will try to get more photos this week online. Currently I have a galleried walkway that takes you from the first upstairs bedroom across the lower level lounge area to the other bedroom and bathroom upstairs. I dont like this idea so need to relocate stairs or change style of staircase ( one that I can afford ) to access both bedrooms .

• Jonathan
    hace 6 años
    Do you have to have a garage in this principal building?
    If you did not the opening that would have been the garage door could be a door to connect your home to the garden and to the view.
    Lillian Mc Ewan Glover agradeció a Jonathan
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 6 años
    I think you'd probably benefit from having this drawn up in 3D type images ( like we have in our pro page) so you can see how the whole space will work as a whole - not just on a floor by floor flat plan - as this is such an important investment.
  • PRO
    Infrared Heating Technologies Ltd
    hace 6 años

We highly recommend a Redpur IR Heatingsystem Classic Bio TH P1 with In-Photonic Technology www.infraredheatingtechnologies.co.uk; ENERGY CONSUMPTION CONTROLLED BY the Loxone Smart Home System www.loxone.co.uk, to guaranty maximum energy savings, call Rudy on 0208-399-7867 for further advise!

• Lillian Mc Ewan Glover
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Sounds really interesting . Thank you .

• PRO
    Industville
    hace 6 años

What were you thinking of in terms of furniture? Perhaps introducing some industrial style to compliment the space and bring a unique vintage look to your conversion?

Lillian Mc Ewan Glover agradeció a Industville
  • Lillian Mc Ewan Glover
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I am hoping to invest in a metal staircase that continues upstairs to both mezzanine areas with a metal walkway above the lounge area to link in with the many RSJ 's that have been put in . I've considered using two small metal scaffold towers in black with left over wood from roof trusses to act as a structure to support my two bathroom washbasins. There will also be wooden shelves on the bottom of these for bathroom baskets and towels etc. I also have a left over large pew with metal frame that folds up to become a table I may use in the dining area. I have bought some industrial looking lights and bought some metal lights fixtures in Marrakesh last year. I want to create a fairly austere and robust feel to the plain building reflecting its shape and simplicity. I'll have a log burner in the lounge too. I have some grey corrugated panels that I wish to use up and was thinking I may place those against the back of the log burner to give the walls some other texture - but not sure yet. As an antidote to this I have a luxurious full length silver mirror and several chandeliers that I want in the bedrooms. I have a plain grey corner unit and fab steel /glass coffee table for the lounge too. I have two large grey metal lamps to sit above the dining table . I also have a few vintage pieces of furniture - an old

victorian nursing chair and old welsh dresser which hopefully wont look out of place . I have loads of left over wood I don't want to waste so any ideas would be gratefully received.

• tezz4
    hace 6 años

I love this I beam staircase. I finished a project with a similar 'rusty' look in a semi-industrial style condo.

This loft is nice too.

• Lillian Mc Ewan Glover
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Hi Tezz4, I love both designs but trying to keep a tight reign on budget. How much did the staircase above cost to build ?Thanks for the inspiration -just what I'd love !

• tezz4
    hace 6 años

I can't help there! I had these pics on file from Houzz and l live in a different country so costs are very different. Besides, l do a lot myself!! But take heart and never give up. It will happen if you really want it!!!

• Lillian Mc Ewan Glover
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Tezz4 Thanks for that encouragement . Im looking for more work so that I can have those fab looking stairs .

• tezz4
    hace 6 años

I dont imagine the cost should be astronomical. Its an iron I-beam which you may need more of to support the loft. Then some welded on supports and wooden individual steps and railing. Its a builder who supplies them where l am at, then a carpenter. I wish you all the very best!

Lillian Mc Ewan Glover agradeció a tezz4
  • Lillian Mc Ewan Glover
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

My builder and architect have got all these RSJ's in place to support the loft. They are very helpful with ideas and tradesmen here in this rural situation.

• tezz4
    hace 6 años

Keep it going!!

Lillian Mc Ewan Glover agradeció a tezz4
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.