Houzz Logo Print
nancy_koritz

Need help making boring master bath a WOW

hace 7 años

Been in the house 3 years. The Master Bath has lots of space but it lacks personality. Should I paint the vanities white and change the backsplash? Chandelier over the tub? Paint the walls?

Comentarios (10)

• PRO
    hace 7 años

Hi Nancy. This space is an example of very common, in my view over-designed, neutral rooms in which the space is so full that there is little room to maneuver. The style is generic, aimed at a sell. Personality is a factor of unique elements that make a space stand out. A backsplash that introduces colour could help. The space needs life! A well proportioned plant tray on the bath surround 9offset, one corner or right behind the taps) and an orchid on the counter to [pull-out a colour from the new backsplash could work. Suitable bath rugs pulling out another colour from the new backsplash could also work. However, you could try these steps prior to investing in a new backsplash to see if you are satisfied.

An alternative is to make the space personal by adding favourite pieces or treasured items that carry history--or aspiration. When a space doesn't provide enough room for that, it is hard to "feel" those touches that make the space our own. proportion is everything. You do have some opportunities in the shelf area, but the items seen in your photos are lost in the scale of the room.

If budget allows, I would use tile to create a feature at the end of the tub, replacing the backsplash there and surrounding the window, which I would replace with an art or etched glass. This would create a focal point with a number of design options to achieve a dramatically unique master bath.

Good luck - have fun - I hope some of these ideas are helpful!

• hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I love the stained wood millwork -- please consider keeping that as it is, if at all possible... But that's just my personal preference. ;)

What if you painted the walls a brighter, grey-green colour (channeling a spa look), changing out the backsplashes for lighter, non-browny tiles, and swapping out the mirror frame for something silver? While you are at it, what if you updated the light bulbs to 3000K, just to minimize the yellowness of the existing tile and stone?

Here's a mock up I did using Photoshop, complete with a disproportionately sized chandelier just to see what it might look like... :)

Good luck!

• hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I added a plant as recommended by John J. O'Brien!

• hace 7 años

I hate the current flooring. Any suggestions? We have beautiful dark hardwood flooring leading into our master bedroom

• hace 7 años

If you have dark floor with dark cabinets it would be too much. What about pulling an ivory from the granite you have around the tubbsmd having nice big rectangular tiles that are light?

Contemporary Bathroom · Más información

Mill Bay Oceanviews · Más información

• hace 7 años

I did one more for you since you were wondering about painting them white, and it should be your preference not mine :)

• hace 7 años

Wow. Thank you so much! So kind of you! This really helps. So I'm torn between painting the woodwork white or leaving the woodwork dark and changing the flooring to a light color.

• hace 7 años
    Personally, I find the dark much richer looking (as has been said, you are the one who has to live with it). I agree re painting, a plant, and some larger personal items that say "you".
  • hace 7 años
    Why not orange or teal accents? You already have orange towels and something teal, it seems, near the sink.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.