Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

Plants in the bathroom - yes or no?

Emmeline Westin
hace 6 años

Have you heard of the term shower plant? Essentially, plants for your bathroom that love the moisture of your space and might be tropical enough to like the warmth, too. And then there's the aesthetic aspect; plants can definitely brighten up a room in need of some TLC.

What types of plants do you have in your bathroom? Do you have any advice for the community when it comes to nurturing shower plants? Share here!

Adamo Family · Más información

Yes
No
Other - tell us!

Comentarios (22)

• Emmeline Westin
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Brilliant Shannon. I tend to get rid of my orchids when they no longer flower. I know I should hold on to them and wait for the next phase, but I think they just look too ugly. The bathroom might be the perfect hideaway for them... How often do you water them when they're in the bathroom?

• PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    hace 6 años

Let their roots sit in water for an hour once a month. Spray them weekly (if they don't get a steamy environment). Also when you cut off old stems put some powdered cinnamon on the 'cut' to stop bacterial infection. Where I worked a few years ago there was a sad wooden stick that everyone kept watering (obviously they don't like too much water so this was killing it). I took it to my spa retreat and it now produces amazing large flowers. It is better to under water them, they tend to fight back more with flowers! Almost like treating a chilli plant roughly, the rougher you are at pruning a chilli plant the hotter the chilli's! :)

• PRO
    Indigo Design
    hace 6 años

I have a palm tree in my bathroom. Needs watering regularly but easy enough to do. Completes the look.

• Harriet
    hace 6 años
    if you like plants in the bathroom, you should definitely have them!!
  • minnie101
    hace 6 años

My bathroom is painted in railings so I went with the aesthetic aspect as plants looks great against it. I have quite a large Areca palm. Apparently anyone can keep them alive but only time will tell... A local'ish flower stall has also started selling single monstera leafs which looked good in a vase but I may buy a faux one of those instead to avoid a weekly journey!

• 163 hrd
    hace 6 años

Plants? There is barely room for a spare loo roll!

• PRO
    Flippa Interiors Ltd
    hace 6 años

Hanging plants then if it's a small bathroom - they still add something really special and their good for our health too!

• Maxine Harris
    hace 6 años
    Are there any plants that would survive in a bathroom without a window?
  • PRO
    hace 6 años

Check out this link for plants that can survive in dark areas. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/5-interesting-plants-that-can-119497

Shannon

• C S
    hace 6 años

I have a BEAUTIFUL parlour palm in my sunny south facing bathroom. I've had it for about 15 years and it's large. The shape of the falling fronds is so o o o elegant. I also have a mini orchid on the windowsill, which is currently in flower. It's a gorgeous dark red, and there are 10 or more blooms and buds. I'd like to add a Boston fern. I'm lucky enough to have a large bathroom.

• PRO
    DN DESIGN
    hace 6 años

Oh yes! Absolutely...plants are highly beneficial for your health and beautiful trailing plants in the bathroom (even shower) can look wonderful. I recently wrote a post about the Air Purifying plants http://ow.ly/2tTf30bKodx and have another going up tomorrow on the specific 'shower plant' trend that you mentioned. Hope this helps!

• winnielouise
    hace 6 años
    I don't know the name of my plant but it's doing very well in my bathroom and I enjoy seeing it there.
  • chicest01
    hace 6 años
    I think that's called an Umbrella plant
  • Judith Evans
    hace 6 años

I have plants in every room in my house; in fact there are probably more plants than items of furniture! And yes, they have invaded the bathroom as well. It's a perfect environment for plants, often humid and steamy, perfect for certain types such as palms, African violets and philodendron.

• Emma
    hace 6 años

Like jood I have plants everywhere and I am slowly adding to my bathroom collection.

I have tiny cacti and succulents on the (very narrow) windowsill, a beautiful orchid that obviously loves living there as it's flowered none stop for the last 4 years and I recently added an ivy and a poor calathea that I got for £5 after it had been h̶o̶r̶r̶i̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶n̶e̶g̶l̶e̶c̶t̶e̶d̶ cared for by Morrisons.
    It has huge leaves and there wasn't really room for it, but I'm a sucker for saving plants like this!

• Good Relations
    hace 6 años

I LOVE the hanging plants idea - so creative and practical! I really want to have some macrame hanging plants in my bathroom - a bank holiday project maybe, what do you think?

• iolosdad
    hace 6 años
    My window cill has a neat row of mother in law's tounge an orchid sits above the loo and two frosted glass shelves high up are filled with trailing plants - I love interior horticulture.
  • PRO
    hace 6 años

Check out this blog - using eucalyptus when showering can boost your immune system and promote wellbeing - as well as making your bathroom smell amazing! http://www.housebeautiful.co.uk/decorate/bathroom/a1716/eucalyptus-in-shower-plants/

Shannon

• catalanqueen
    hace 5 años

Loving plants in the bathroom I've just found this thread. Emma I hope your calathea has survived? It certainly looked dehydrated and sorry for itself in your photo? I've got one that was in them lounge in low light and always looked unhappy. I've now put it on a shelf in my bathroom and it's perked up a treat? Humidity is good plus letting it completely dry out in between watering.

• Emma
    hace 5 años

@catalanqueen it has struggled but it's still alive! It has been in a few rooms around the house, including the bathroom which it didn't seem to like - despite having a large window I think that the spot it was in in there was too dark for it.
    I've recently moved it out to our sunroom, where it seems to be thriving (contrary to all of the recommended growing conditions for calathea). The humidity is low but I've found that wetting the leaves at least once a week keeps it happy and it's throwing out lots of new leaves which is great.

• catalanqueen
    hace 5 años

Trust your instincts. They're funny old things.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.