Houzz Logo Print
j_benstead333

Victorian Hall Dilemma, please help.

Jodie Benstead
hace 7 años

We have a Victorian Terrace which we have slowly been renovating. We have left the hall until last. We have taken the wall paper off and we are very pleased that the walls are ok, no need to plaster. However, now we need ideas as to what to do. We are thinking of keeping the walls white, and also the skirting but need some colour on the banisters? Or adding a dado rail? Help?

Comentarios (7)

• Daisy England
    hace 7 años
    Dado rails for me are a thing of the past. I personally think you'd be better off adding colour to the walls and keeping skirting, architrave, spindles and handrail etc white.
    Jodie Benstead agradeció a Daisy England
  • Jodie Benstead
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Thanks for suggestion, what colour for the walls? Need to keep it light as it is a dark space. I thought a dado rail so it could be painted below in a dark grey as I have dogs who rub on the walls.

• rachelmidlands
    hace 7 años
    Hi there, I agree with Daisy, paint the skirtings and banisters a nice fresh white and paint the walls in the darker colour. I like the colour you've started to paint the bannister in the last pic but think this should be on the walls, perhaps a shade or two lighter as well. I don't think you need a dado, keep the walls as one single colour. I think having a darker colour on the walls will absorb any dark shadows where as a white will accentuate them therefore making it look darker. Use a scrubbable paint so you can wipe any marks off. Add white framed mirrors/art, white furniture if you need any, to bring back the brighter feel that you're after.
    I will be interested in other comments as well, as I have very similar dark hallway which will be decorated in the distant future.
    Jodie Benstead agradeció a rachelmidlands
  • PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    hace 7 años

Hi

How about making a feature of the coat hangers - here they used 'shoe trees'

Or use light grey panelling with upper walls and ceiling in white - this will keep the area light.

This is the same idea as the photo above but with the steps painted along with the handrail. The kick back on the stairs are white so reflects light into the hallway.

I actually like the idea of painting the door and skirting boards/stair rail with white walls - the photo below shows how it can look elegant.

Good luck - please post some photo sofa the finished look.

Shannon

Jodie Benstead agradeció a Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
  • Jodie Benstead
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks so much for the great suggestions, now I am more confused! :-) I agree with Laura in that the dado rails are not a thing of the past as they would be in keeping with the age of the house. We have lots of old features in the house and old furniture too so feel they would work well, however I still haven't made up my mind. I love the idea of the kick back on the stairs white but we need to carpet the stairs because of the noise factor, but I do want a stair runner so will probably paint the stairs white. I am now thinking of an olive green on the walls with white paint work as feel the grey may be too dark, also we have 3 rooms in grey already. Lots of thinking to do as it will be a big job and needs to be right. Thanks again.

• PRO
    Jane McIntyre Design
    hace 6 años

How about having off white on the walls and add panels painted in olive green. The panelling would add something extra and will be in-keeping with the style of the house.

Jodie Benstead agradeció a Jane McIntyre Design
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.