kbalberts

Engineered Wood Floors vs Solid Wood floors

Kelly
hace 7 años
I am trying to figure out what the best option is for the house my family will be moving into in a few weeks. I've read pros and cons to each but wanted to ask on here.
Solid Wood Floors
Engineered Wood Floors

Comentarios (17)

• CLC
    hace 7 años

What is your climate like? Do you have kids and/or dogs?

• Kelly
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I have 2 dogs and we live in Indiana so we get all 4 seasons.
  • annied75
    hace 7 años
    Definitely go with real hardwood -- great look, solid & durable.
  • PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    hace 7 años

If you have dogs, I recommend engineered. Sure, there's nothing like a real hardwood floor, but engineered will be more scratch resistant (paws & claws) and resistant to stains ("accidents").

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    hace 7 años

Please keep in mind Engineered only means it has a backer board underneath. Engineered also has real wood on top that can often be refinished several times. For pets and children I would suggest a low gloss finish to help hid scratches etc.

Educational Plank Flooring Examples · Más información

• PRO
    Valter and Anna fon Eynik
    hace 7 años

Solid wood, it looks beautiful, noble and natrual

• CLC
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

With two dogs and cold/dry winters, I would go with engineered hardwood. They will be more dimensionally stable and hold up to the dog nails a little better.

• tozmo1
    hace 7 años

IMO, engineered wood looks like one step above laminate due to the beveled edges. But real wood is more expensive so you always want to be aware of your budget. Don't outprice your house in the neighborhood in case you ever move but likewise, don't cheapen your house if the neighborhood has high potential. I live in a 1970's neighborhood going through guts, teardowns and expansions. The ones that are remodeled with materials that are subquality always take a longer time to sell and sell for less per square foot. Do the best materials you can within your budget and the pricing of the neighborhood and that you really love. If you're just moving in, I'd live with what's in it for a while. You may find better ways to spend your money (like a new roof or HVAC). :-)

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    hace 7 años

Not all Engineered floors are prefinished or have bevels. Our Engineered Plank is often more expensive than our Solid. I just want everyone to know there are more options out there.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    hace 7 años

Real hardwood has that luxury factor but there's no point in spending all that money if it's just going to get ruined. I'd go with a high quality engineered hardwood. It still looks great but it will hold up well.

• PRO
    Jonathan Prigge/Hardwood Flooring
    hace 7 años

I recommend solid hardwood flooring with site finish-there are few instances that require use of engineered flooring...

• PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

You'd definitely get longer life out of solid hardwood floors. If you maintain them throughout the seasons, and keep your home's temperature regulated, they'll last as long as you take care of them. Yes, in some cases, the finish on engineered hardwood can be more durable for pet scratches, however, you can choose to install a factory-UV finished (refinished) solid hardwood which will give you the best of both worlds. Theres a lot of useful info in our Pet's and hardwood blog, as well as our hardwood floor care and maintenance posts, Ill put the links up here for you. Remember, if you're looking for long term flooring, engineered wood can only be refinished (maybe once) if anything happens to it. A solid hardwood can be refinished numerous times. Just make sure you keep clean floor mats at entry/exit doorways, and wherever you keep your pets food and water bowls, make sure the hardwood floor is kept clean and dry.

Can Pets and Hardwood Floors Coexist?

Hardwood Floor Care and Maintenance Tips

The Couture Floor Company

• Laura Richardson-Jackson
    hace 7 años
    Just installed Coretech in our basement. We were concerned about dampness and also wanted durability. It looks awesome and has the look and feel of hardwood.
  • devyon
    hace 6 años

What style and color are these? They are so pretty!

• devyon
    hace 6 años

Thank you!

• PRO
    Farner Hardwood Flooring Inc
    hace 4 años

We I put down an engineered floor I know if it is still down tomorrow, it will be down forever. We are even able to fit tight to perimeter with never a worry. Same exact look as the solid but way better.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.