Houzz Logo Print
jonny_decicco

Is owner builder cheaper then house companies ?

1991_kid
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Hi could someone please telll me which is cheaper, is it cheaper to go owner builder or is it cheaper to go with a house company? which one is usually cheaper per square metre? Im wanting to build a house between 45-50 squares , nothing overly modern , average looking house similar to the "average look, anyone got a rough idea how much a house these days would cost? I've got the land and itl be payed off before I build , I won't do the outside untill later on down the track I just want to get the house up first my father Inlaw is a qualified concreter and my brother is a qualified tiler so I should save a fairrrr bit of money there also thanks

Comentarios (7)

• Gallifrey
    hace 7 años

Not worth risk. There is not a lot of margining it for builders, who have better buying power than you will ever have. Think about resale issues, warranty etc.

• E L
    hace 7 años
    We went owner builder because in our case there was significant savings for us. We had approached all the different building companies and some would only build their own designs. Others claimed they'd built our design but almost immediately stared to move things around to resemble one from their own portfolio! Lol. So our choice was to either do it our self of use an independent local builder.
    Overall, if you are going for the 'average look', then you'd be able to buy one of the homes from the brochures of the bigger cheaper mobs. I think that'd be cheapest option and there are some gorgeous houses with great layouts for normal blocks. Just beware of the "extras" that really should be called necessities!! The best bit is you'll get a finish date and a figure which is fantastic.
    We've been lucky so far, everything is going really well, but going owner builder is all consuming!
    Good luck with your decision.
    1991_kid agradeció a E L
  • E L
    hace 7 años
    Sorry for the spelling mistakes above. Wish there was an edit button!
    1991_kid agradeció a E L
  • LesleyH
    hace 7 años
    We call them typos and we all do them.
  • LesleyH
    hace 7 años
    I would go with a builder but have the quote exclude all tiling, driveways and all other external concrete work. Let the builder do the slab unless he/she knows your father. This means you get the best of both worlds and save where you can.
    1991_kid agradeció a LesleyH
  • Andy Pat
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I'm an owner builder, it is very tough but very rewarding...

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.