Houzz Logo Print
nahal_n

What color accent chairs?

nala a
hace 7 años
I am having a really tough time deciding on the right color for an accent chair. This sofa ended up being a different color than I thought but it was custom order and I'm stuck with it. It's a lighter gray with some warm tones to it. I've put different accent chairs in the room here to give an idea of how a light chair looks versus a darker chair. I am searching for the right accent chair but first need to know what color to get. I am thinking maybe something lighter (but worried it'll take away from
The light marble table) or something more taupe or with gray. I will probably go with a lighter or neutral rug and add a painting and some pillows once I know what color accent chair to go with. You should also know I may change the fire place to something light, more modern, and neutral. If any designers out there can give me their thoughts or advice on the accent chair color or ideas in general I would really appreciate it!!

Comentarios (108)

• Rina
    hace 7 años

For me, on Grover's last pics, the colour balance of everything light except the fireplace makes the fireplace too dominant. It's like a room that has a fireplace and everything else is background. But Nala a, I think your heart is really set on having light accent chairs. In that case, I think you should do it. Put something striking on the coffee table to try to redress the balance. A dark grey stone statuette or sculpture, perhaps?

• nala a
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Rina- I think you are right about the balance. I think I keep going back to the light chairs because I originally was going to get a darker sofa with lighter chairs, but the sofa color came out differently than expected (custom order). At this point, I think as much as I love the look of the pictures I posted above where the furniture is so soft and light, i don't think that will look right with this type of fireplace. Also, since my marble coffee table is white, having light chairs might take away the attention from the table and make everything look too bland. I should probably just look for a smaller accent chair that is still a taupe or darker gray or even has a pattern but first find a neutral rug. I came across this accent chair which I thought was pretty although too pricey. what do you think about this style? http://www.ethanallen.com/en_US/shop-furniture-living-room-chairs-chaises/jacob-chair/132082.html?site=

I will then incorporate either a soft peach/orange color or soft blue (depending on the rug too) in the pillows as well as art work. It is hard for me to picture it all put together, but hopefully that will look nice!

• Rina
    hace 7 años

I like that style.

• Michelle Ellen
    hace 7 años

I think the darker chairs with a large, light green plant in the corner really frames the room well

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años

I think the Ethan Allen chair, besides being too pricey, doesn't quite fit the more casual vibe of the room. Here are three from Crate and Barrel that might suit.

Ankara:

Bryn:
    Margot:

• Rina
    hace 7 años

I do think the room can take a bit of formality because of the marble-topped table, but oh, I think the Ankara chairs hit the jackpot. There's even a delightful humour in the family resemblance with fireplace.

• Tems
    hace 7 años

I can't help but think the fireplace with it's two black boxes is ruining all of groveraxel's beautiful renderings...It's just so overbearing. I understand the tv may have to be there, but I wouldn't be mad at you if you redid the fireplace.

• nala a
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks Michelle
  • nala a
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks groveraxle! Love the Ankara chair! I don't mind dressing up the room so that it's somewhat formal because Im not sure but may have mentioned before, we have a bonus room upstairs with a sectional where we typically relax and watch tv/movies. This living room is part of an open concept great room so I would like it to look nice and not too casual.
  • nala a
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I agree Rina. Not sure
    On how comfortable the back will be but that smaller style is similar to the Ethan Allen look and I like how it's not as big as my current gray ones.
  • nala a
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Tems even if we change the stone, we would probably still need a tv here so I can watch tv while cooking and i think the fireplace would stay put unfortunately. Were you thinking that a different fireplace would be less black?
  • Tems
    hace 7 años

I was thinking of your original idea of changing the fireplace to something more neutral.

• nala a
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Tems I prefer more neutral and modern. Working on getting quotes
  • nala a
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Groveraxle and Rina
    My husband doesn't really like the Ankara chair but likes the shape. I still love the Ethan Allen one I sent above. Going to see if there are any promotions at their store. I think the color and wood trim will be elegant. Might not go w the current fireplace so would need to look into a different kind of stone or tile.
  • User
    hace 7 años

I believe the [Loft Armchair in Leather[(https://www.houzz.com/products/loft-armchair-leather-prvw-vr~42780510) will complement the room set up !!

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años

• nala a
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Groveraxle.. you were right. Too fancy for the room but especially w that fireplace
  • Rina
    hace 7 años

Grover is usually right.

• nala a
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Hi Houzz friends- what do you think about this accent chair if I leave the fireplace as is?
  • hooked123
    hace 6 años

I think it needs to have a more casual vibe.

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

You seem to really want a traditional chair here:

• nala a
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Groveraxle I don't like too traditional but I also don't like too modern. Should I be searching for transitional styles?
  • groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Your original gray chairs were the right style; they were just too tall. I still like the Bryn:

• nala a
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I looked for an accent chair tonight and came across this one. I loved the modern elegant look to it and really hope it will work nicely in the room. The pattern had some of the light gray that my sofa has. I am thinking it could look nice on a neutral or shag rug. Any thoughts on this??
  • Rina
    hace 6 años

I think that would work very well. Great find.

• shirlpp
    hace 6 años

They have character and will work fine in your space.

• Michelle Ellen
    hace 6 años

Those chairs look great, such a good find.

• Geneviève
    hace 6 años

Oh boy you sure got a lot of ideas !

here is one more

https://www.wayfair.ca/Lark-Manor-Cambridge-Arm-Chair-LARK1477.html

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Yes.

• kovalsusan
    hace 6 años

How about swivel chairs?

• kovalsusan
    hace 6 años

How about swivel chairs?

• nala a
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Kovalsusan I don't like how you can't see the chair legs with swivel chairs
  • nala a
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Hi guys! I got the accent chairs but now I need help with a rug. I like lighter shag rugs because of the contrast with the dark hardwood floor, but I don't know if a lighter rug will take away from the marble coffee table. If I go with a more gray toned rug, then worried it will match the sofa too much. Any ideas? Your thoughts are appreciated!
  • Rina
    hace 6 años

The chairs are great. I'd go with a mid -grey rug. Reason? Instinct. Feels right.

Now I want art you love above your sofa, and the field is wide open this room. Please.

• nala a
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I actually just purchased a mirror and will be placing this above the sofa horizontally.' I want to bring in light and greenery from outside.
  • groveraxle
    hace 6 años

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 6 años

I guess I'm a little late to this posting, but maybe at least you can still consider adding some art. Never have a mirror opposite windows.

Instead of the mirror, try something three dimensional on that wall to help add texture to the room.

• shirlpp
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

nala....You have lots of light coming in and if you want greenery, then add some plants inside your home.

For the mirror, maybe you can put a sofa table behind the sofa and do something like this picture.

Toronto town home · Más información

• nala a
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Beverly I purchased the mirror because a designer recommended it since the room didn't have all that much lighting. I was
    Going to also add a tall plant in one corner.
  • nala a
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks groveraxle . Where is the first rug from?
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 6 años

Nala, I read all the comments and didn't see that anyone recommended the mirror behind the sofa until you purchased it.

If the room is dark then work on a light selection for the area rug, which would do more to brighten the room than a mirror.

There will be glare from the light of the windows. Additionally, no one wants to sit in your new chairs and watch themselves in the mirror.

Here is a vertical mirror behind a sofa, but it doesn't reflect the light from the windows directly but at an angle.

This mirror below is directly across from the windows.

You could have placed mirrors on either side of the fireplace to reflect the light from the windows. See images below

Even these small mirrors would be more interesting than that one large one you purchased.

• nala a
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Beverly thanks for the input and pictures. The people in the accent chairs probably won't see themselves because it will be placed higher, I believe. As for the designers suggestion on placing the mirror here, I think it was suggested in a different blog or by a designer at a store. I don't remember. Either way, I now have the mirror so I'll have to figure out what I will do. Even if it's placed behind the sofa, it will not be placed vertically, but rather, horizontally. If it
    doesn't look right, I can always place it in a different room.
  • groveraxle
    hace 6 años

nala, all the rugs I Photoshopped in your room are from Crate & Barrel.

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

FWIW, I generally think mirrors are a cop out. Here's a beautiful Gauguin that would look great in this room.

Gallery Direct Fine Art Prints: Interior Of The Painters House Rue Carcel by Pau · Más información

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 6 años

Groveraxle, love that area rug for the space.

Another one that might work is this one. Seems to complement the chairs

• nala a
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Grover- that's a great rug, thanks.
    Beverly- thanks for the pictures.
    I didn't think a mirror would be a cop out and to be honest, I am not sure if I can return it without losing a big portion of what I paid as Macy's just delivered it this morning.
    Assuming I can't, and I get a neutral rug with a subtle pattern, any thought on pillows or what else to add to the room? I was thinking a small accent table between the accent chairs (maybe a gold metal one to match the mirror?) and a smaller wooden console table on one side of the fire place and a tall plant on the other side. Open to ideas.
  • groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Beverly, I think your geometric rug is too close to the pattern of the chairs.

Nala, yes to the end table between the chairs. Not sure the console table and plant on either side of the fireplace will balance very well since one will be horizontal, the other vertical.

• nala a
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    You are right as usual, Grover.
    The balance may be thrown off, so I'll have to
    think about what to place on each side as I do need to hide some of the chords and the cable box. I also agree that the patterned rug was too similar to
    The accent chairs.
  • groveraxle
    hace 6 años

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

You might do matching consoles on either side, or a console on one side and a bench on the other; however, I'd like to see the fireplace wall with minimal decor. The fireplace itself is the star. I will think on it.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.