Houzz Logo Print
natalie_miller2817633

Contrasting countertops

N M
hace 7 años

We have venetian gold granite countertops with honey oak cabinets. We need to decide on a contrasting countertop for the island and would like something solid and durable. The island is also honey oak. Any ideas? Walls are light gray. Current countertops and backslash below.

Comentarios (78)

• gerryh2
    hace 7 años

I had a similar problem - took out one side of existing kitchen and could not find the same granite to extend countertops. left the original granite on one side and where we extended and added new counter top used concrete. The installer matched the concrete stain to a dominant colour in the original granite. Love it. Result is super clean and modern. Gerry , Tucson

• Leeza
    hace 7 años

@ Gerry

I was going to suggest colored concrete and then thought maybe I was imagining that as an option for kitchen! Glad you brought it up for discussion!

• gerryh2
    hace 7 años

Thank you. Initially I was stumped. We took out an entire bank of useless narrow cupboards, moved fridge to other side and were left with splendid space for a long, uninterrupted counter top and then couldn't locate the granite. Was considering butcher block until I read an article on concrete. Got in touch with a local contractor and the rest was history. Looks beautiful, Clean it with granite cleaner and have been advised to have it resealed every couple of years. Contractor told me to avoid acid ( lemons) but otherwise , no restrictions. Love it. Later this year will be replacing the counter tops in bathrooms and plan on using concrete.

• kekulibay
    hace 7 años

Personally, I would change out the backsplash to something solid - to my eye (which isn't a professional one, this is just personal choice) I find it fighting bigtime with the counter. I think before you make any more decisions it's worth considering that change. I think it will make your other choices easier. I am one of those "less is more" types when it comes to conflicting and busy patterns - my eyes just don't quite know where to rest.

• kekulibay
    hace 7 años

Leeza, I actually don't find your combo too busy....the granite pattern is not as noticeable in yours and the colours and patterns seem to be more blended together so it compliments the backsplash - I'd love to see pics of your entire kitchen - with cream walls I can imagine it all looks awesome!

• debbiesmithstuff
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I don't find your combo too busy either..but with the granite and the tile it borders on too cold..I think a warm toned butcher block top would tie it all together perfectly and add some warmth. As for concrete, it is possible that it will crack as your house settles.

• hsmeghan
    hace 7 años

No one suggested glass for a countertop. It looks like there is clear glass in the backsplash and I thought perhaps just a clear or silvery glass top for the island would blend really well, very neutral without adding a new color at all. Or perhaps it's light blue or has a light blue color behind the clear glass? -- can't quite tell. Anyway, to match that or one of the other glass tiles with a glass countertop would work very well, IMO. (I love glass so just a suggestion I guess I would like!)

• pebn
    hace 7 años

Dark soapstone

• huntcm
    hace 7 años

I vote for a white zeus silestone counter top (cream colored) which will brighten the space and make the island stand out. It is extremely durable and neutral so you can use your island to work on and also serve from. The cream will allow you to change the look of your kitchen with the seasons depending on how you decorate it.

• Kristi Hillier
    hace 7 años

What color are appliances? Black? Stainless steel? I think I would lean toward using the same countertop for Island but change Island cabinetry to dark, for contrast, maybe java, espresso or even black. I'm afraid if you introduce another countertop finish it would become too busy with 2 different counters and backsplash too. Counters like floors cover a lot of landscape in a kitchen.

• Lizzy L.
    hace 7 años

Can you post pics of the whole space?

• Leeza
    hace 7 años

@kekulibay

Here's a deal -- bookmarking this page to my browser and when I get the kitchen area cleaned up (maybe Thursday), I'll post before/after pics!

• Leeza
    hace 7 años

@pebn -- I thought of soapstone too -- I loved the counters in our high school science room! But only have seen those ones, and they were nearly black. If SS is available in a medium-to-dark brown, that would be a winner!

• Mich
    hace 7 años

I would use a hardwood butcher-block counter or stainless steel

• Debbie S
    hace 7 años

I would paint the island cabinets a dark brown color or black and use a cream color corian counter top. Corian tends to be more of a solid color. Please no Ubatuba.

• PRO
    Waterview Kitchens
    hace 7 años

You have many textures and a lot of movement in your space. The colors all flow nicely. I would urge you to use a solid color on the island. There are new porcelain tops that look just like cement in honed or polished finishes. They would compliment your space perfectly.

• happyleg
    hace 7 años

Did u make your decision? Updates?

• pmurohy
    hace 7 años

I am having to make the exact decision this week & I think I'm going to go with a solid color,if not I think it will be to busy .

• radishonastick
    hace 7 años
    Replace one or the other. Too busy.
  • Kristi Hillier
    hace 7 años

Re-stain Island dark espresso or maybe even black. Check out Alaskan White Quartz-looks to be yin to your yang countertops without being too 'busy'.

• bj5225
    hace 7 años
    29pike, where did you get a butcher top large enough for your island?
  • 29pike
    hace 7 años

Had it custom made. I wouldn't be without it. Great preparation area.

• Shonda Harris Harris
    hace 7 años
    Beautiful, too busy for me
  • stacyh7
    hace 7 años

I would consider waiting until you can replace backsplash at minimum. Maybe tax refund coming? I can't picture the honey oak, that tile, gray walls, and a counter playing nicely. It's all so many different things that are bound to look pieced together. If you can't wait to save up for a tastely overhaul, a simple, solid counter. As someone who just bought a house, I'd be negotiating price based on the fact that honey oak is not something I like, and I don't think the backsplash looks "now." If you're doing this to sell house, you may want to leave as is and offer an incentive/allowance since many buyers will want complete demo. If you're doing this for you, you have a lot more options since you are the only person who has to like it. Find a local stone shop and go walk around. You'll get to see the slabs and get inspired, or look at pieces of things like Corian, and check out samples you like either for free or a small deposit.

• 29pike
    hace 7 años

you really need to show us your complete kitchen. I don't think showing the samples is enough. Just tidy up one corner and post. We all know how kitchens get. Yellow I thought would be nice on the wall. Something Darker on the Island. Good Luck

• Nicole Krawczyk
    hace 7 años

I would choose a solid color counter that compliments/is similar to one of the light colors in the backsplash.

• rusty7jr100
    hace 7 años

A light colour selected from the backsplash would be perfect....

• PRO
    Berkshire Hills Design
    hace 7 años

What are your floors?

• 29pike
    hace 7 años

Not sure you're asking me this, but their a vinyl tile that has been grouted. Love it. Nicer then ceramic I think.

• Sandra Koretoff
    hace 7 años

I would remove the backsplash with all the mosaics. Not difficult to do at all! It appears to be too busy. You would have a softer, more flowing look with the Venetian granite. You would also have many more choices to choose from for your island.

• Angela Merrow
    hace 7 años
    I would personally go with a functional top. Unsealed wood butcher block! Beautiful, functional, versatile, from food preparation to a spot to put a hot pan...

I have a pre-fab 1950 home with a 9'x12' galley kitchen. I have a similar back splash and counter top in my kitchen with dark grey floors and a deep red going on the walls this month. The only change to my back splash coming this month as well is a bit of trim as my new counter back has a lower profile, and a few accent tiles scattered through the existing tiles. I'm curious to see what you decide!
  • T Mon
    hace 7 años
    Being that your walls are gray and you are looking for a contrast, I would try a concrete countertop for the island. This would bring all of your colors together rather than being 'matchy matchy'.
  • mamadada
    hace 7 años
    Natalie, I have been living in the exact sitaution for 18 years. We flooded last August and are rebuilding after a flood. Thank the Dear Lord I was able to save my countertops! I have Baltic Brown and Absolut Black. I have 6 seperate counter areas between the kitchen and a long Butler's Pantry. I love my counters amd receive many compliments. Do you have black in tge othe granite. If so Absolute Black would look great. There aren't any other solid granites. I would not do aomething with any pattern at all which leaves you only with black. I would definately consider a wood top they are gorgeous. If money is no object them I would mix with a zinc counter. They are fabulous.
  • lori_burton61
    hace 7 años

I would go with a warm, slate grey. This will pick up the warmth from your cabinets but keep the grey/black palette you've got going there.

We painted our cabinets but have a bit of the honey left, for example, in the dining room.

Here are a couple of photos. You will note how I've blended black & oak furniture, and I love it! Even changed out the hardware on the built-in china cabinet to update the honey oak.

• Doris Wilkes
    hace 7 años

Butcher Block for sure. Mine is honey oak as well with same granite countertop but different backsplash.

• Verda Kosnett
    hace 7 años

• deniselindsey
    hace 6 años
    I have Venetian gold countertops and island. We didn't want to change it all out. We decided to go with a butcher block island top in walnut. The edge grain type is beautiful. I then had the island cabinets and the pantry door painted "peppery" which I think is SW. We had walnut hardwood in the LR and Fam room so it was a natural combo. Our kitchen floors are travertine so it isn't too dark.
    I took out the backsplash. I had a heck of a time finding one that looked good and didn't fight the Venetian. I finally found Porcelanosa in nieve blanco and then used the companion piece jersey mix for behind the stove for contrast. The blanco was just enough creamy white to go well with the Venetian, and the jersey had some dark grey, cream and black to blend with the peppery color. I will be putting a gel stain on my cabinets mixed with mineral oil to give them a glazed look so they pick up a little darkness in the wood. This would work with your cabinets too but do a test to see how much mineral spirits to gel stain. I will probably start with 50/50 dab on then wipe off.
  • Janice Chasey
    hace 6 años

I agree with nnigrt. Something in a solid color. Since the other kitchen elements have lots of color already, pick a color that will coordinate with the granite and backsplash.

• Nohea Silva-Garner
    hace 6 años
    The backsplash is your problem. Why work around a mistake and make further ones.
  • Sandy
    hace 6 años
    Sienna Bourdoux granite and Walker Zanger tile back splash. I didnt want the backsplash so busy due to busy granite
  • N M
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Decided to go with butcher block. Any recommendations on what to treat it with? We have young kids. Also here is a picture from further back.

• Nohea Silva-Garner
    hace 6 años
    The backsplash is a compromise then. It's your choice. Butcher block is a good one under the circumstances. But what do you like so much about that backsplash to keep it?
  • 29pike
    hace 6 años

We use Boos block Mystery Oil on our butcher block.

• N M
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I don't like the backsplash but don't want to spend the money to replace it at this point and am not interested in a diy project at least for the moment. Wasn't really looking for opinions on that.

• 29pike
    hace 6 años

I hear you NM Because I picked the same as you. Kitchens are a busy place. Your kitchen looks lovely. We only did ours two years ago so not changing for awhile. It's very hard to know. Can't please everyone.

• PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    hace 6 años

I used walnut oil on mine. Painting your cabinetry black switching out the hardware would unify the space with your stainless appliances . A dark wood butcher block would look best in my opinion. I know it is hard getting negative responses but there is always a easy fix and remember there is no wrong interior design if you like it.

• Nohea Silva-Garner
    hace 6 años
    Jodi White that is a bigger diy project. You're trying to tie in the back splash, which is the problem.
  • happyleg
    hace 6 años

Read up further, she chose butcher block.

• erica051176
    hace 6 años

Re: your question about treating butcher block. We used Osmo Top Oil with tremendous success. It's easy to apply and if you get any minor staining, you can sand and reapply in small areas as necessary.

• nicolewells2930
    hace 6 años

It is so so not nice

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.