Houzz Logo Print
emmakn

Big room, limited budget and no idea!!

emmakn
hace 11 años
We're hoping to turn this into a stylish reception room but are on a tight budget. We can't carpet the room so thinking of a cheap laminate. Would painting the red brick walls, the messy varnished beams and wooden ceiling be a good place to start? Or by painting the red brick would we be making a mistake? Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Comentarios (24)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 11 años
    Lots of character in this space, I wouldn't recommend painting over the bricks.
  • PRO
    Ed's Heating Cooling Plumbing Electric
    hace 11 años
    Are the floor concrete?
  • emmakn
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    when i say messy I mean that some are currently varnished and some are painted black so they all need to either be sanded down and started from scratch or painted over with a primer and then painted.
  • emmakn
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    yes, underneath the lino the floor is concrete
  • emmakn
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Also, this is in the uk, so apart from 2 weeks of sunshine a year, it is normally pretty grey and miserable. We're not really after a modern look, something more traditional if possible
  • PRO
    Ed's Heating Cooling Plumbing Electric
    hace 11 años
    Laminate will not be your best choice for sound. You may think about painting or staining the concrete.
  • andreayoungc
    hace 11 años
    You could have the floors acid washed if they are cement. You can achieve many looks this way-slate whatever. when you say reception room, what are you meaning- is this for a business? I would not paint the brick. Love the beams.
  • andreayoungc
    hace 11 años
    Antiques would look great in here.
  • emmakn
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    It is a business, but run from home. Country walks, so lots of muddy boots. Acid washed floors - I'll have a look at that online. So leave the beams and the red brick. But then there's wooden beams, brick walls and concrete floors, isn't that too complicated?
  • PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    hace 11 años
    The space doesn't especially lend itself to a 'traditional' reading, although it is orderly and uses traditional methods of construction. I think you might start by painting the woodwork. Try using a warm neutral color (grey, tan, beige) in a value similar to or a little lighter than the brick for the posts and trusses and using something closer to white for the ceilings. A concrete floor in the UK is going to feel pretty cold. I would consider buying some rugs or maybe sisal?
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    I don't think it will feel complicated because the space is orderly and simple.
  • emmakn
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I thought about sisal, but we couldn't keep it clean around this area. ideally we need to be able to sweep and mop mud up off the floor. i'll have a look at the colours suggested for the woodwork and truesses, thank you
  • Brenda
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    great space emmakn. prepare yourself to get every single possible combination of "recomendations" ;)

for a brighter, cheery space, I would go ahead and paint the brick walls and beams white. I would try to leave the ceiling natural wood if possible. you are going to need to add lots of lighting up into those beams -- track lighting on the beams is probably your most cost effective (and flexible if on a reostat) option. concrete floors are very "in" right now. no need to spend money covering them up with something less "in".

good luck with it.
  • emmakn
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    thanks Brenda, so many ideas!!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 11 años
    It's an enormous room !!! What do you intend to use it for when it's done ?!
  • mcbriec
    hace 11 años
    This is a spectacular room. I agree with staining the concrete suggestions rather than using something cheap that doesn't live up to the beauty of this room.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    And I think I would use an eggshell finish on the woodwork because the shinier it is, the more the sloppiness of the wood itself will show.
  • emmakn
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Its going to be a reception, meet and greet people who are out in the countryside for the day on walks, sit down by the fire for a cup of coffee - that sort of vibe
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 11 años
    Great - so lots of comfy chairs ! And chance of getting a fire place in the middle too - a double sided one maybe ?!?!
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    One last comment about sisal - I lived out in the country in Hampshire years ago, and we had sisal carpets that came in panels. One of the things that was great about it was that you could sweep the dirt off and it would fall through the cracks onto the floor. That allowed you to pick the panel up later and sweep underneath, rather than having visible dirt.
  • andreayoungc
    hace 11 años
    I like the idea of an antique tea cart by one of the windows with antique tea cups or teapots with violets or something small planted in them by one of the windows, maybe an old milk can near the door for umbrellas and a big old coat tree. A big antique desk, maybe a trunk for an end table or coffee table. Perhaps a large antique dining table .
  • emmakn
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Andrea, I love those ideas!!! and OnePlan, yes lots of comfy chairs, there's a wood burner at the end of the room so unfortunately can't put in a double sided fire place (that would be gorgeous!)
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 11 años
    ...the reason behind the double aspect fire in the centre suggestion was because the one you have doesn't look like it will be enough on its own - as few people absorbing the heat from it by standing around or sitting, coupled with the absorption from furniture etc and before you know it - you will be cold the other end ! If you look at pubs for ideas and inspiration, you often find they have more than one fireplace ! Creates focal points and people 'gather and blather' points - I think more than one would be good - especially for lots of people on cold crips ideal walking days !
    But Brenda is right - you will get all sorts of ideas for this project - and if you just need to sift through and pick out the ones you like ! Just wanted to let you know the reason behind the suggestion !!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.