Houzz Logo Print
slin2007

Need advice-how to make this kitchen less sterile

Sharon Lin
hace 7 años

I am planning on changing the lights to west elm mobile chandlier in antique bronze and want to change the backsplash. I like white subway tiles with gray grout, but am not sure that will warm up the room. Any suggestions to improve this kitchen???

Comentarios (24)

• Elle
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I would suggest switching the barstools to a light neutral, adding a chandelier with a softer, non-linear design above the island, and adding a couple of decor items to the perimeter and island countertops

• Elle
    hace 7 años

You could also remove the clock and square art piece above the windows and then add Roman shades.

• Bailey R
    hace 7 años

Roman shades, accessories, new barstools as suggested above & no, white subway with gray grout will not warm up the space.

• Dale Hadley
    hace 7 años

Are your floors laminate or hardwood? If hardwood & feasible, stain them a deeper warm brown which would add warmth. Also just add a little color., colorful art, etc. A large bowl of fruit on your island and window treatments would do it too.

• G
    hace 7 años
    paint the walls any color but white.
  • CLC
    hace 7 años

This room is begging for some color and texture. I don't think more white and gray is going to help. You can still keep your modern design going, but I would replace the clock, add window treatments, paint the walls, and maybe replace the art with something less black and white.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 7 años

I agree with suedonim75, this is a really well put together kitchen. I'm sorry you don't like it, and I too prefer a warmer feel in the kitchen, but you won't do anything except cheapen it if you add subway.

You could use this kitchen as an inspiration on how to incorporate modern/glam features into a more farmhouse kitchen:

Paradise Valley Renovation · Más información

• Sharon Lin
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    This picture is from the MLS since we have not moved in. The floors are engineered wood. What color should the walls be? Appreciate everyone's comments.
  • D. L.
    hace 7 años

I am going to agree that the simplest thing I would do is change the art to a color other than black and white, paint the walls a color, add window treatments.

I would look at photos of colorful kitchens, because right now it is so white that I would give you brighter colors and can't tell whether it would go with your whole house, but it can be any color and it will immediately make it less sterile.

• Terry
    hace 7 años
    This is a great kitchen. I would liven it up with accent colors of bowls, vases, trays (just a few), in bright colors (sea greens or blues or oranges and hot pinks). It just needs to look like it is being enjoyed. Don't overdo. And you can inexpensively change these things when you want!
  • calidesign
    hace 7 años

I also would not change the back splash. Remove the clock and red/black art. Add woven roman shades to the windows, a live plant on the island, and wood stools. It will be stunning. Just those few additions of natural elements will completely change the feel of the space. If you want to go further, you could also change the wall color to a warmer white/beige and add a rug.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 7 años

Leave the splash alone, you can not make this a farmhouse kitchen. It is not suited to oil rubbed bronze finishes either. Consider instead, "warming" it with more texture and with warmer satiny brass hardware/lighting......a rug or two at sink /cook areas. An upholstered, or wood stool with clean lines.

stool in a wood stain. ..natural woven wood shades at the windows.
    Hampton Collection Bar Pull, Amber Gold, 128 mm · Más información

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años

The wood shades and these great wood pendants from Berlin will look good with your collection of antique dough bowls. Add a little color with the Onda stool.

ENA wooden pendant light wood lamp spot light wooden by IUMIDESIGN · Más información

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 7 años

move in, place on the counters that which you use, i think it will be easier to decide how to warm up the space once you have your own items in place.

• daniellemcguckin
    hace 7 años
    The splashback is the star of your kitchen - how gorgeous it is! It makes the room sparkle.I agree that subway tiles would not suit it as the cabinetry is too modern.

Would deep jewel tones complement and offset the function of those bedazzling and beautiful tiles? Emerald greens, deep blues, even brightening pinks?

Have a look on houzz for white kitchens and see what warms them up.

I think also that a lovely roman blind above the window would be great - you could add warmth, pattern and colour here also.

If it were me I would have Fabric stools of some sort, to add warmth via different textures (fabric) and the idea of layering. Depending on the fabric of the blind you could match or complement them.

Personally I thought the new chandelier too angular and cold, and mid century. How about a fabric shade, a long rectangular one? Or something softer, thus layering different textures again. Not your style?

Then add bowls, vases and colour contrasts dependent upon your fabric and colour choice. What's your favourite colour?

Good luck!
  • PRO
    Atelier Armbruster
    hace 7 años

Hello Sharon Lin,

Changing the chandelier is a good idea, we love the West Elm one you chose !

Also, we suggest adding colorful accessories and plants to add some life to the kitchen and make it look less sterile.

Hope this helps,

Atelier Armbruster LLC,

http://atelierarmbruster.com

• PRO
    Elalux tile
    hace 7 años

Hello Sharon,

You have an amazing kitchen. We love your chandelier choice. We would suggest one of our hand carving marble tiles for your backsplash. Please take a look at www.elaluxtile.com

Please let us know if you required any further information.

info@elaluxtile.com

Backsplash Tile Ideas · Más información

Marble Backsplash Design · Más información

• PRO
    AHI Stoneworks
    hace 7 años

Soothing White and Gray Kitchen Remodel · Más información

Pristine Eat-in · Más información

Lionsgate Design · Más información

White Marble Kitchen · Más información
    Bringing in your own style of chairs, chandelier and possibly painting one wall or even the ceiling would help to soft the hard edges a bit.

• inabunker
    hace 7 años

Hi there, great kitchen. I like what groveraxle said about the blinds. You really just need to warm up the kitchen with some wood tones - how about the kitchen stools to start with, along with the bamboo blinds.

I wouldn't change your backsplash...it's cool!

Tractor Carved-Wood Bar Stool, Walnut · Más información

• PRO
  • PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

First off, that light fixture is great!

I would:

• remove clock and square painting
    • replace barstools

I would purchase:

• large persian rug
    • bamboo window shade, mounted in window frame
    • new bar stools (wood and/or leather)

Here's an inspiration photo of what I'm thinking:

barstools similar to this

rug and barstools

bamboo shade, rug and barstools

(all the images are from my favorite interior designer, Amber Interiors)

I really don't think it will take much to soften this space and make it an even more beautiful space.

Hope this helps!

• Brittany Wood
    hace 6 años
    Omg! I just moved in to a house and I have the same issue too, very sterile kitchen. And also the same glass light blue/white backsplash. I’m going to do a matte white herringbone subway tile backsplash with black grout to add some texture. Then add pendent lights above the island and gold hardware on the cabinets.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 6 años

If you can match it, I would take the backsplash tile on up over the windows own the sink side of the room, and/or consider Sea Salt for paint color.

San MIchele · Más información

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.