Houzz Logo Print
vnut

long and narrow row house living room help!

Graham
hace 7 años

I could really use some help with design ideas for my living room in
my 1890s row house. The space is approximately 14' x 20', open to the
dining room, with a non-working fireplace in the middle and narrow
stairs running along the party wall and a 4'x4' vestibule. I would
really like to have a conversational space focused around the fireplace
but because the fireplace is in the middle of the long wall and there is
approximately 7'9" of space on either side of the fireplace, the room
always feels cut off by furniture when placed on either side of the
fireplace (particularly around the vestibule wall). Placing furniture away
from the fireplace makes better use of the square footage but then I
lose the conversation area. I have tried having a sofa parallel and
opposite the fireplace with chairs flanking the fireplace but because
the space is so narrow it makes the room seem even more narrow and it
feels rather claustrophobic to have the sofa so close to the fireplace
in order to allow for a decent path behind the couch. Floor plan
attached.

Thanks for your help!

Comentarios (12)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 7 años

Love, love…something like this room to begin: sofas flanking fireplace with matching consoles and mirrors (art work) and table lamps on either side of the fireplace, as well.

Elegant Dupont Circle Row House Kitchen · Más información

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 7 años

Have an electric fireplace installed, if you can. I did and the new ones look amazing real.

• Graham
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks for your response. The main problem with this type of solution is that the scale of my room is much narrower than this space. In order to do this I would need to use 4' sofas and I'm not sure how functional that is. Perhaps what I am looking for is not a literal conversational area around the fireplace but a way to spread the seating around the space but still have areas where more than 2 people can converse comfortably at a time.

• acm
    hace 7 años

You have to ignore the fireplace. Maybe put a bench right in front of it, if it's working, or just hang some nice art over it either way. Then address the room as a whole.

A long room is crying out to be subivided into two zones. Does a TV need to go into this room? Not knowing that makes it a bit hard to advise.

In a vacuum, I'd put your conversational grouping down at the bottom, with a couch and several chairs, and then put a game table, desk, or couple of great reading chairs up at the top end, where things are narrower. If you do need a TV, then I'd probably put it to the right of the fireplace, long couch facing it (with back to entry, forming a hallway there), and one or two chairs (one against windows, one probably across the fireplace gap). This grouping comes close to including the fireplace. Then another grouping at the far end, again as above, or a small circle of chairs for chatting...

Graham agradeció a acm
  • NancyD
    hace 7 años
    I like the way JudyG's layout looks, but, instead of two couches, how about just one? It would be parallel to the window wall, perhaps with a long sofa table behind, and then opposite the sofa, place two upholstered chairs. Put a coffee table between the chairs and sofa, in front of the fireplace. Depending on the size and style of the chairs, I think that would look great, and it would certainly be functional. Good luck!
    Graham agradeció a NancyD
  • Graham
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

We have been back and forth on the TV idea. We are not against it but we ultimately decided that we would put it in another room because we thought it would be easier to have one purpose for the living room as a more formal sitting room. However, making sense of it as one room has proved challenging as well.

• acm
    hace 7 años

This is what I suggest.

• PRO
    Hoffman & Swinburne
    hace 7 años

Two smaller loveseats flanking the fireplace (as JudyG suggests) with an elegant built-in bench along the window wall. Adds storage & seating. Console tables behind the loveseats, with lamps. Dramatic plant (not the overused Fiddleleaf fig!) in the corner.

• PRO
    Hoffman & Swinburne
    hace 7 años

or something like this.

• PRO
    Sarita Simpson Design
    hace 7 años

How about something like these past project I did.

Check out my website!

• PRO
    Hoffman & Swinburne
    hace 7 años

Brooklyn Brownstone · Más información

University · Más información

Graham agradeció a Hoffman & Swinburne
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.