wils2999

Looking for simple ways to warm up this space...color? Window treatments?

hace 11 años
These are pics of our house just purchased so the furniture is the current owners and not mine. this is the first room you see when you walk into the house so I want it to look nice but don't want to spend a lot of my budget because it probably won't be used much ( formal dining/living room). I plan to have similar furniture with modifications to the layout (see pic). I'm looking for ways to warm up the space... Maybe some paint options, window treatment suggestions. I am open to changing the furniture layout I have mocked up. I am mainly challenged with the height of the ceilings and what would look best. Look forward your suggestions.

Comentarios (25)

• PRO
    hace 11 años
    Beautiful home look at revere pewter from Benjamin or macadamia from Sherwin
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Congratulations. For such a large room you can afford to go dramatic and go for darker stronger colours: burnt orange, teal, chocolate brown etc.... you certainly have the space....
  • hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Yep, it may be the light, but the green undertone to the yellow on this wall makes it cool against the warmth of the floor - its umber tones would need dijon mustard tones - but yellow is one of the hardest colors to select - it is very sensitive to light. If I'm reading it right from the photo, the undertone of the macadamia is not quite right for these floors. Also test http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6122-camelback/ SW Camelback, and consider putting the next deeper shade - baguette in the recess that fills the end wall.

To take advantage of the wall, treat that recess like an art gallery frame (thus the deeper shade) and fill it with art. Anchor the large volume with three significant sized art elements - one landscape, two portrait, and at least 8 smaller elements to fill the space. Then, on the wall in the dining area, do a plain matted row of 3 or 5 near matching elements, framed identically - you can buy an art calendar and select your favorite 5 images then mat them into standard frames inexpensively, so you can focus on the gallery wall.

Add drapery on a rod set high between transom and doors and extended beyond the width of the doors so the panels will generally hang outside the doors / add softness and texture, neutral color though. I think the things they did over the mantel are too low but you don't need to go all the way to the top of the higher windows to use that space well - you need area rugs as your schematic shows, but they too could be very simple neutrals, even jute or sisal. That will add to the art gallery feeling where the architecture gets to star but doesn't overwhelm the people.

Try not to organize furniture away from the main fireplace as you have left open - what if you face the sofa to the fireplace wall centered between the fireplace and the door? You could use a leather bench or storage ottoan to its left in line with the fireplace, so people can sit there / sprawl out. Chairs as a pair with their backs to the end wall but in the grouping. End tables, accent tables between chairs with lamps would prevent need for coffee table and keep things open for going in and out of doors. A console table or secretary used as a bookcase on the stair wall will help serve the space.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Good suggestions above. You can check out our Houzz page for color and art inspiration. Enjoy and good luck decorating your new home!... Raisa
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Very nice and spacious living / dining room. Although it found the right measure of pieces of furniture, the space seems unfinished.
    I see it like this; lavish draperies on the windows, carpet which completes the living room, accented wall in one of the Victorian colors with an impressive mirror rich framework. In order to obtain the dynamics, armchairs would be nice to put in some unusual color linking them with curtains. There is lot of places for playing with pictures or some other art.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Furniture layout.
    Greenwich Penthouse · Más información

Contemporary and Casual Living room · Más información

Simplify the window treatments and furniture style. Maybe a straight valance and simple side panels as in this photo
    Traditional Living Room · Más información
  • hace 11 años
    I find it interesting in your floor plan that you have picked a cool color scheme for paint colors and accessories, when you have said you want to warm up the space. The simplest and cheapest way would be to leave the paint color what it is and use area rugs and draperies to warm it up.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Simplest - area rug and drapery, warm colors with pillows and art and a few accessories.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Warm art...that is in big formations to fill blocks of spaces on the walls...for example...
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    I loved the way this room turned out for my client who also had high windows with french doors.

Curtains · Más información
  • hace 11 años
    Thanks to all for the great suggestions! I am liking the paint color suggestions and drapery ideas. I also love the idea of using the recessed area of the wall as a gallery wall... I knew that space was calling for something but I just didn't know what. I will have to play around with the furniture arrangement around that fireplace. Can't wait to move in! Thanks Houzz folks!
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Big, long drapes as shown above in a nubby linen. A HUGE item over the mantle...if you find something and you think it is too large, buy it. If you are not sure about a rug yet, have a piece of sisal cut to fit the area...don't scrimp. I love the green secretary... this room is so large you could do two seating areas and make it cozy.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    You can make your home more Artistic.I hope this can help you to make your home more beautiful. Weclome to my site: Outletarts .com
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Well, about about these curtain designs? I've selected some designs at relatively low prices.
    http://www.cheerycurtains.com/qyb251dd.html
    http://www.cheerycurtains.com/qyb251bg.html
    http://www.cheerycurtains.com/qye223bd.html
  • hace 10 años
    Hello! I thought I would update everyone on the pics after we moved in and are now getting close to settled ( sorry they are some grainy iPad pics) We still need some end tables, lamps, and maybe an armoire or shelving on side wall but I think it came together. We decided not to paint but added the drapery ( an expensive but dramatic change) and I fell In love with 60" clock! Thanks for all the suggestions and any additional comments on what to add/change are welcomed!
  • hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I love updates on homes and nice of you to think of us!

GREAT idea to not paint and add the drapes!!! May I just suggest moving the rug in the living area so it is centered or at least at the edge of that beautiful fireplace and clock! Then bring the couch right on up so it is not soooo lonely all the way over there. Take the table by the stairs and put it under the piece of art on the wall where the couch is now.

OR still slide the rug and have the couch face the fireplace and the chairs on the side of the fireplace where the couch is now.....table still move to the picture on the wall. I just cannot tell how much room there is between the living area and that dining area. SMALL things that might be worth trying.

I also cannot get a feel for how high the art is in the dining room......can you STAND or sit at the table and SEE it COMFORTABLY???

The dining room table and chairs are just beautiful and love that there is that window right there to be enjoyed.
  • hace 10 años
    when do you move in?
  • hace 10 años
    Thanks @abbeyjean! Yes, great suggestions. I need to play around with that rug a bit and move the sofa up. I did try the sofa and chairs the way you described and it cut off the walk/entry too much so I moved it back. And I agree, the art above the dining table is a tad bit too high. I just haven't had the heart to tell my husband he needs to rehang all those pieces.... Ha! Thanks for the ideas to try this weekend.
  • hace 10 años
    Anne dee- end of May.
  • hace 10 años
    congratulations..a bit late ;)
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Congrats! Maybe the rug centered to the fireplace and close to the hearth. I think I would move the sofa opposite the fireplace and much closer to be more intimate. Sofa on top of rug. The chairs to fit between the right side of the fireplace and the left drape panel. There is enough space to use the doors. The two chairs on the right of the fireplace facing the dining room and much closer to the fireplace right side. Maybe the console table behind the sofa. On the wall opposite the fireplace is the walkway with the collage of photos only. I would use a buffet or desk on the wall where the console table is now by the glass doors. It would be cozier this way and create better conversation
  • hace 10 años
    I agree, if you pull the rug down in front of the fire place, put the couch directly in front of the fire place the place the chairs on the edge of the rug it may help. The furniture doesn't have to be right up against the wall, leave a little walk way!

The dining room is BEAUTIFUL! I also LOVE the clock!!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    What about adding colorful pillows to bring in a bit more color to the sofa and the chairs to brighten the space. Red, blue, yellow are optional mixes.
  • hace 10 años
    I am looking at the pics in the dining room and know what it is like to ask hubby to do all of that all over again. UGH! I can't tell how many there are altogether or how big of a space it truly is, but is there a way to keep SOME of them right there and move some bellow it???
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.