Houzz Logo Print
ctychick

Shower Window - Frosted vs Clear glass?

ctychick
hace 7 años

We are renovating our master bath. We currently have one small window with clear glass that is not in the shower area. Our shower will be moved so that the window will be inside of the shower area. The new window opening will be larger than the original. My goal is to bring in as much natural light as possible. Fortunately, the room faces east, so we get brilliant, beautiful light in the mornings.

I have to decide between clear glass or a textured (gravel-like) glass. The window is just high enough that privacy isn't an issue, but I suppose if someone walked up to the side of our house with a short ladder he would have a pretty good view. My fear is that the textured glass will dim the light or diffuse it so that I lose the sun-filled effect. Also, I'm not sure I'll like the aesthetic of the mottled look of the window. Our shower will be glass-enclosed and directly opposite the bathroom entrance.

Now here's the rub - we ordered the window with clear glass, but it arrived yesterday with textured glass. It will put our renovation off by 3 weeks in order to get the clear window. I'm tempted to just keep the textured glass to make things easier, but if I find out that the quality and abundance of light will be compromised significantly, I'll wait for the clear replacement.

So... Knowing what you know about my thought process, would I regret staying with the frosted?

Thanks so much!

Comentarios (4)

• PRO
    W.E. Davies + Sons Remodeling Inc.
    hace 7 años

Hey there,

Congrats on your bathroom remodel! We always recommend using frosted glass in bathrooms. They don't dim the light at all (unless they are extremely frosted) and provide necessary privacy. (While clear glass might not bother you, if you decide to sell your home, that clear vs. frosted window could be an issue for the next owner. It's always good to consider resale value and appeal when making any significant changes to your home.)

All that being said... What type of frosted glass did you (accidentally) get? There are varying levels of "frostiness," and some simply look nicer than others. Rain glass, obscured, and acid-etched are a just a few options.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    hace 7 años

We usually use glass block or some type of glass that provides some privacy. Most people just can't handle a clear glass window in a shower.

ctychick agradeció a Brickwood Builders, Inc.
  • PRO
    Conrad Kitchen, Bath and Remodeling LLC
    hace 7 años

I would not suggest frosted glass, but possibly a water glass or antique crackle glass that will bring all that wonderful light into your bath. I am like you and love all the natural light.

ctychick agradeció a Conrad Kitchen, Bath and Remodeling LLC
  • bkeithaz
    hace 7 años

I dog sit for friends who have a clear glass window in their shower -- up high enough that privacy is not an issue. It is so pleasant to bathe in that shower when you can look up to see the blue sky and the greenery and flowers and I think, even a palm tree or two (we are in Arizona). In addition to early morning sunlight! So spa-like. Every morning for two weeks I marveled at how pleasant it was!

So I would vote for clear glass in your shower window.

ctychick agradeció a bkeithaz
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.