Houzz Logo Print
erinan

Can we work with these blue bathroom tiles?

erinan
hace 7 años

We have "if you give a mouse a cookie" syndrome and are gradually giving our entire home a face lift. We decided to replace the vanity, but then thought the toilet would be easy to replace. And... If the vanity and toilet are out, we might as well do the floors (shutters, vanity light, and mirror are on their way out, too). Help us from going further down the rabbit hole. Can we keep the tiles and shower doors as they are! All advice appreciated and I am not easily offended :)

Comentarios (21)

• Katbv Vero
    hace 7 años
    Yellows look good with blues as a complimentary color, also greys. Good luck!
  • User
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Tiles yes, doors not so much. There are many imorovements in tub and shower enclosures that you might want to upgrade to. Expensive I know, but you could easily work with that tile. Did you purposely repeat the blue on the little rug? I like it and I would do the cabinet as well.

• erinan
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks everyone!. Kathy... The little rug WAS on purpose (thanks for noticing my feeble efforts!), but that little cabinet is only a temporary plant stand until we get through the winter.

deco... I'm worried about painting tiles in a shower. Have you done this?

im looking at this vanity (like everyone I am a sucker for marble) and thought about black hex tile (medium brown oak floors with black graining in the adjacent bedrooms). We can repeat the black with the sconce and new knobs and repeat the blue in rug, mirror and maybe some art? Or wallpaper?

https://www.amazon.com/Madison-36-inch-Bathroom-Vanity-Carrara/dp/B01KKOC5AS/ref=lp_3032967011_1_10?srs=3032967011&ie=UTF8&qid=1488125478&sr=8-10

• katinparadise
    hace 7 años

I would save the money on the floors-they're neutral and they look fine. Instead, spend the money having the tiles reglazed or replaced.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

blue tiles are fine, those doors?? nope. nope. the wavy glass is dated and the black grunge on the edges don't do you any favors.

you can find relatively inexpensive ones at big box stores. you can also check on craigslist. If you really want that to look nice, put a fixed, frameless glass panel on the back and sliding frameless doors in the front part. get rid of all that thick, metal framing pieces. It will help open up the space plus is easier to clean. I would do that before I spent money on the floors. If you call a shower guy out to do it, expect to pay between 700-1100. you could prob do it yourself for half that if you have the know-how.

an option for the floor is grout paint. it would be enough to hold you over for awhile if need be. Also, check craigslist for people selling off their flooring. often they buy too much and can't return it. it's usually enough to do a small floor. natural stone, wood look tile, marble, you name it, I've found it on sale on there. In fact, look for remnant vanity tops, vanity lighting, faucets and people usually give mirrors away for free. you can then have it cut to size and frame it out yourself with some nice wood.

And whatever that metal thing is in the shower, clean it well, sand it, prime it and use a good metal paint to paint it.

you can also purchase the trim piece for the shower valve and get a new shower head for less than $50

erinan agradeció a Beth H. :
  • erinan
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Awesome Beth!!! The metal thing that is embedded (and framed out!) in the shower is a heating vent. I'm serious. I'll get to work on it! :)

How can i do frameless doors around a corner? The shower only has two walls. Do they come like that??? oh wait... I just re-read your post. a small fixed wall for the narrow end and two sliders for the long side. right?

It such a small space, I don't think the flooring will cost that much... but i agree... more impact with the shower doors!

I will update you all with some progress!

• calidesign
    hace 7 años

I think you can change the floor tiles, vanity, and lights, while keeping the tub if it is not in the budget right now. Choose materials that are neutral (whites). Order a few extra floor tiles so you will have them if needed when you change the tub later. You can paint the walls a very pale blue. I have a feeling once you are done though, and see how nice the space can look, you will want to continue. It might be worth getting an estimate to change out the tub so you know what your options are before beginning.

• Sammy
    hace 7 años

Go down the rabbit hole, Alice...ALL the way down! BTW: I've never seen a heating vent in a shower, and I've seen everything. :-0

erinan agradeció a Sammy
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 7 años

it would basically look like this (imagine there is a bathtub in there). You could do a swing door or two sliding doors. both could work.

or if you couldn't do frameless, then it would resemble this:

now is this better than what you have??? worth every penny you have to spend. Alice.

• Bev
    hace 7 años

I agree that you really need to replace your shower doors. I do not see a problem with blue tile. You can always paint and buy accessories that go well with the shade of blue.

We have clear doors that we purchased from Amazon. They are Kohler, very beautiful and easy to take care of. We paid under $300.00 for them. They are now over $300.00 but still under $400.00 and they are Kohler K-702200-L-BH Fluence Frameless Bypass Bath Door, Bright Brass. What I really love about them is how much light you have while you are in the shower, as apposed to shower curtains or frosted shower doors.

• PRO
    Jill J. Wallace, Color Redesign
    hace 7 años

You can most definitely keep the blue tiles. Try an off white like Benjamin Moore Palest Pistachio or Crystalline to create a seamless visual transition. Keeping the lower wall a more crisp white will help the subtle blue of the upper wall show the tint of color. There are LVT , luxury vinyl tile, that are waterproof and if the current grout can be leveled to the tile it can be properly installed over the current tile floor, allowing for a stone or wood look; or you can remove the current floor and install on a subfloor. The LVT does not require cement board and has a lower install price point. The floor plank or tile size could be larger too; small rooms don't have to have small tiles.

The new vanity and counter top will play into the flooring choice. Some medicine cabinets can be recessed into the wall so you have storage but it looks more like just a mirror.

A frameless shower glass will update the current glass. There are updated privacy glass styles available too, with the close proximity of the toilet and sink.

A project is official with the rabbit hole possibility :-0 Great job to weigh options to maintain the amount of spiral!

• acm
    hace 7 años

I don't see any point in freshening up all the parts of this bathroom *except* the shower, because that's the most glaring and dated aspect of the whole thing. I'd reno it just to get that vent out of there and into someplace more sane (between shower and toilet seems great!), not to mention getting to actually have some say over the style of the room. Plus, you can bet that if anything was done poorly, it was the waterproofing behind that tile, so if you ever get a crack in the grout, there will be slow-building water damage.

I don't understand anybody saying to leave the tile and upgrade the doors, thus making your single dated feature the central element in the room. No, either don't touch it, and do it all right later, or do it now, while you'll have holes in the walls to adjust plumbing on everything else, and get a plumber who also does HVAC (lots of companies combine the two) to figure out how to make all the pipes in the wall work nicely with a better duct placement. Honestly, you'll already have plumbers and tile guys on site, so it will be much more economical to do it all at once, even a very simple redo, than to beautify all the rest of the bathroom and then come back later to bring the shower portion up to snuff.

erinan agradeció a acm
  • qam999
    hace 7 años

Agree with acm. Nothing wrong with the blue tiles per se.....it's just that if any $$$$ is spent in that bathroom other than just for TP and toothpaste, it should be on the shower, specifically the vent and the door. And the blue tiles will be an inevitable casualty of that work.

erinan agradeció a qam999
  • teresale2013
    hace 7 años

The blue tiles are so dated that they have become retro. And pleasing. Worth highlighting IMO. I grew up with MCM--(not called that then obviously). MCM is not considered dated now, it is considered retro and stylish.

Everything old is new again.

erinan agradeció a teresale2013
  • Bailey R
    hace 7 años

True... my favorite boutique hotels in Palm Springs have tiles just like those, in pink , aqua, green... etc.,

erinan agradeció a Bailey R
  • souriyno
    hace 7 años

I personally love the color of the blue tiles. I think the bathtub and sliding glass doors really throw off the look. You could really just have a shower floor and glass doors.

• Abby Barham
    hace 7 años

I think the tiles are a fun pop of color. I think you could keep the tiles and also tie in the color somewhere else in the bathroom. You could also do a grey on the wall I think it would really make the tiles pop!!

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    hace 7 años

In one of my guest baths I have a 6x6 blue/gray tile installed in the tub shower surround. Really isn't an attractive color, not as pretty as yours. My wife had me paint the walls a stark white and the ceiling a light sky blue. I changed out the light fixture and switch plate covers. Turned out really nice, very clean.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 7 años

I just try and give advice with what the OP requests. she asked if they could work around the blue tiles. The answer is 'Yes'. now if she wants to toss 15-25K into redoing the whole shebang, then fine. but she didn't ask that. The blue tiles are still in great shape. some people like them. however those shower doors are not meant to stay and look horrible. the vent can be fixed to look new again. (I seriously love that heating vent in the shower and would love one! does it still work ok?) I remember the old wall electric coils that would glow in the bathrooms but never saw a vent in the shower. (prob because it was Calif).

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.