Houzz Logo Print
bostowyo

Roofing question

bostowyo
hace 7 años

We own a brick ranch style home. We need to get the roof replaced. I love the look and longevity of standing seam metal. However, at least one contractor told us we should take metal off the table because of the angles of the roof and the way the snow would slide off the garage and pile up in front of our mudroom door and onto our deck which is directly behind the mudroom (we live in NH). See attached photo. I have to imagine there is some way to deal with the issue but maybe he's right and the piles and noise would drive us nuts. Thoughts?

Comentarios (3)

• PRO
    Conrad Kitchen, Bath and Remodeling LLC
    hace 7 años

He is correct. We have used metal on projects and there are many, many issues to consider and none of them easy. Your home would look amazing with a gable over your front door and then use three dimensional shingles - n a grey.

• tedbixby
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I have a friend that lives in Northern WI and one winter day when the sun warmed up his metal roof, a huge section of snow slid off of it and broke their kitchen window. It was like an avalanche. Which has also happened over the front door. So your contractor is correct about the "piles" happening. He said that as soon as he can afford it, he's going to replace that fairly new metal roof with shingles. My understanding is that if a section of the metal has to be replaced that you have to take off the sections leading to it to remove and replace then put the roof sections back into place. I'm guessing this would be more labor intense for repair than shingles?

• bostowyo
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

A gable over the front door would be nice. We are hoping to finish the attic some day and that would help with head space up there!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.