Houzz Logo Print
jcutl

Wrapping beams

jcutl
hace 7 años
I have 4 17'x17"x7" beams in my great room and am having trouble finding material to wrap them with so that there are no joints. All the mills say the length will curl.

Comentarios (16)

• PRO
    A & W Capital Improvements
    hace 7 años

Not only will they curl but they can twist and bow. You could use an engineered hardwood floor. They have interlocking ends and sides and are thin so they won't curl and are relatively light. They have multiple textures and colors and are relatively inexpensive.

• jcutl
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    What about the seams and the joints at the corners?
  • PRO
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Nice looking space. The seams where they would but together should be fairly tight. Where the corners would meet they make a 90 degree trim piece for outside corners. Depending on the look your after weathered barn boards are a good option as well, as they have already assumed there naturalized position. You can even plane them and get a fresh look with some old patina.

• jcutl
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you. Any ideas where I might find that size material?
  • PRO
    hace 7 años

You can probably find some barnboards on craigslist in the materials section. Or I think there is company that sells them oh might be able to goole. I saw it a while ago on tv and can't remember the name of the site. Floor boars you can get them at lowes, homedepot or any flooring company

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 7 años

I saw some amazing paper thin veneer at the builder's show that could be laminated over those, but I don't know about lengths.

WOODTIQUE

Contact Jon Sharver for information about our ultra-thin wood veneer: jon@misumaru.com / telephone: 707-290-6262.

• jcutl
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Where did you find the reclaimed wood
  • Diane
    hace 7 años
    We live in suburb of Chicago just did a search for barn wood and found someone near us. We ended up with the boards from a Chicago building instead as it was less weathered making it easier to build into the boxes we needed. There are barn wood or reclaimed wood places all over it may take a bit of Google searching. New wood is also an option, less costly and easier to work with if you don't want or need the old world look.
  • PRO
    peter v daly construction.com
    hace 7 años

I have run into problems like this in the past. After scratching my head for a while I figured it out. If you want the wrap to be seamless just cover the beams with drywall and mud. if you want them to look like wood then have your painter; if they are experienced enough, to do a faux finish to simulate large beams with all the grain and knots included. Believe me if the painters are good you will not be able to tell the faux from the real thing. Muralist are also experienced in faux wood grain.

• PRO
    Todd Jersey Architecture
    hace 7 años

I would suggest you sand them down and stain them first. you can always wrap them later.

• Diane
    hace 7 años
    Unless your ceiling is very tall the beams will look like painted LVLs unless covered imo. Think through the end design of the whole space and choose what will work for look and budget.
  • Amanda
    hace 7 años
    I realize this may be a dumb question but I've never owned a home - much less dealt with beams. Why do they need to be covered? Cantbthey just be sanded and stained or poly'd?
  • PRO
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

They could be but were they're a engineered beam they would look funny. You could paint them

• Jessica Kottke
    hace 6 años

what if your beams have liquid nails from the old builder who used it to keep up the ceiling. Have tried scraping, sanding and hot gun! would you wrap them or keep scrapping them and then stain them? have you ever used the adhesive wood wrap? I liked the idea of the click floor being used

• PRO
    GannonCo
    hace 6 años

Problem is using the wrong wood. Dimensional lumber from HD or Lowes is not dried enough and the wood moves as it dries.

You need to find a real lumber yard that sells hardwood lumber that is sold by the liner foot making it usually cheaper. This type of wood is dried and has the correct moisture content to keep it from moving that drastically. Im simplifying here.

A simple 90 seam with a couple corner blocks using Titebond glue will also work.

I also am fairly sure there are Co's out there that sell kits where the boards snap together and are made of engineered wood.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.