Houzz Logo Print
oschaefer22

Open Shelving vs Cabinets

Olivia Schaefer
hace 7 años
Open Shelving is a moderately new trend that has been getting a ton of buzz. But, is traditional the way to go? Will Open Shelving ever replace the classic Cabinet?
Open Shelving
Cabinet

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    Raywal Cabinets
    hace 7 años

Why not both? Our clever homeowner liked the look of the open shelving, but wanted some cabinetry to hide other kitchen items away. A great balance to style and function!

Transitional Grey Kitchen with Open Shelving · Más información

More photos at: https://www.houzz.com/projects/2232222/transitional-family-kitchen

• User
    hace 7 años

Not into the trend. At all. Either the shelves are like the ones you show- little more than art niches- or the cups/saucers/plates etc that come off them are dirty. Or you spend a tome of time cleaning all that material that you don't really use on a daily basis, just for show.

No thank you.

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    hace 7 años

They can look really nice if kept organized, but it's easy for them to start looking cluttered. I think they're nice in limited amounts, and only in the right setting.

• tooky58
    hace 7 años

The open shelf trend will never make it to my kitchen, I already have more than enough cleaning to do. Glass fronted cabinets yes, I'm looking at my dishes hutch right now. Glass all the way around and I have lots of dishes to look at. I love dishes, and they're a useful collection.

• PRO
    Regal Construction & Remodeling Inc.
    hace 7 años

Although the cabinet gives the kitchen a more modern look, we think the cabinet is ideal for storage.

• Belahn
    hace 7 años

I truly wonder if people who have open shelving ever fry anything on a stove or have pets? What climate do they live in? I am being very serious and would love to know the truth. While I do think it sometimes looks nice, my dishes would be full of grease, animal hair and desert dust. I live in a very dusty place, cook every day and have pets. Won't work. I agree with tooky for glass fronted cabinets if you want to see beautiful brightly colored dishes. So much easier to just wipe down a cabinet front.

• olsenla
    hace 7 años
    I agree with Belahn! My cats would constantly be on the open shelves, leaving cat hair behind and knocking things off. :-)
  • Julie Hunt
    hace 7 años
    Looks great but not very practical. I think it would be hard to keep dishes from getting dusty, greasy.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.